Anyone still using conventional oil?

ANDYS87

I read somewhere that Richard Clark uses Dino oil with ZDDP in his GN's. Besides being cheaper, what is the logic to this? Maybe less leaks? I would think that a true synthetic like Amsoil signature or Redline would be better for a turbo. I run synthetic and have a small rear main seal leak. Been wondering if Dino oil would stop it.

Changing back to Dino gear oil in a diff car really helped with a slow differential leak.

I have owned my car since 1989 (6,000 miles) and I have always used dino oil. I started mixing in Z+ when Richard started selling it and I have never had a cam problem. When Richard R&R'd my stock motor in 2010, the flat tappet cam had minimal wear and I replaced it with an Erson 108 flat tappet cam and I have not had any problems (72,000 miles).

Dino goes in nothing I own. Not even my lawn mower.

The extra cost is more that offset with the extra gas mileage.

What's "Dino" oil?? …Never heard of that…

Claude.

Is that it? ---> th.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been using Valvoline 10/30 conventional oil for 25 years, and started adding a container or Z for the last 17 years.
What's funny I'm sole owner of this car since new, the first 5 years I used pennzoil 10/30 and had a rear main leak.
I switch over to valvoline and repaired rear main, hasn't leak since ...knock on wood . And believe it or not I only change
my oil and filter about every year usually have anywhere between 500 to 1000 miles between oil change.

I remember 15 years or so ago, I talked with Nick Micale, he will let you know what he thinks of synthetic oil, maybe Nick will Chime in.

I have been using Valvoline 10/30 conventional oil for 25 years, and started adding a container or Z for the last 17 years.
What's funny I'm sole owner of this car since new, the first 5 years I used pennzoil 10/30 and had a rear main leak.
I switch over to valvoline and repaired rear main, hasn't leak since ...knock on wood . And believe it or not I only change
my oil and filter about every year usually have anywhere between 500 to 1000 miles between oil change.

I remember 15 years or so ago, I talked with Nick Micale, he will let you know what he thinks of synthetic oil, maybe Nick will Chime in.
Thanks for the reply... I want to know if Earl use an additive because I read one of his post about having good oil pressure and running 0W-20 synthetic oil and let's no forget that he is the timing cover guru.

Plain ole full synthetic here. Mobil1 most of the time unless another brand is on sale.

Big fan of royal purple, I know many here think it's snake oil & is evil but I use it in my 04 regal GS n it's smooth as silk, hps version in my t, has all the stuff flat tappets need mixed in already.. zddp may work great but I'd rather not rely on a random amount of it mixed in with my oil.

Amsoil here, dominator or zrod. They say it has a treatment in it to help make gaskets/seals expand again and not leak as much if they are old. I wouldn't know, my junk is new.

Conventional Rotella. Stage motor street application for over 10 years and still perfectly healthy.

Brad Penn here, no problems. Been using it when it was Kendal GT green stuff. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Dynoed many oils on my friends super stock car over the years and you synthetic guys might be surprised how the results showed.:eek::eek:

I use non syn in all Buick builds. I tell the customer syn is fine after the rings are seated, it "may" seep/leak more but won't hurt anything. Your $$$ your car do as you please.