Need help with an oil leak

TommyV8

Last week I started my GN for the first time in almost three years. On startup there was a lot of smoke coming from a plug sticking out of the block right behind the spark plug for cylinder #6 (rearmost one on the passenger side). It looked like it was covered in sludge. There are no lines of any kind coming off of it. After the oil burned off it stopped smoking, but now there's a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the rear of the engine, perhaps right under that plug (or I suppose it could be the oil pan gasket or rear main seal, but it seems like too much of a coincidence). What is that thing? Does it have a gasket or an o-ring? Is it safe to just try to take it out and screw it back in to try to stop the leak, or do I need to drain the oil or do anything else first? Any help would be appreciated by this TB noob, thanks!:D
Tom

Upon further inspection it appears to just be the rearmost exhaust manifold bolt. Oops. It was so covered in sludge that I didn't recognize it at first. So I guess I'm back to the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket, I can't tell which. Any other possibilities?
FWIW I also noticed a lot of sludge on the engine cradle and the valley cover under the intake manifold.