Looks like it's time to drop the oil pan!

Or you can give that gorgeous GN to ME, Mark, and I will take care of it for you while you move on to other things you like to do in life....you know, restore a Yugo or something:whistle:..........of course, getting it back will be hard, but if you pay me enough........:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National
Already had a Yugo in the family. Was so ashamed when my Dad bought one brand new back in the day. His last car before he passed away was a Prius. Don't know where I got the gearhead gene from but definetly not from him!

Pan dropped, got lucky as crank throws were up in the block so pan came right off. Couple of specs of gasket sealer and that's it in pickup. Bottom of pan was fine. Since nothing is in the oil pan or screen methinks it might be oil pump related. If something in that is going would go right to the filter, correct?

I'ld be looking at the oil pump housing next...

Sort of been wanting to yank the motor so I can detail the front suspension etc . Just want to make it to a few more shows this season so might just put things back together for now.

This sounds like a turbo6smackdown idea. Don't do what I do, and open up cans of worms when they're not needed. Wait for the oil analysis to come back first.

OK, revisiting this. Pan was dropped and here is a pic of one main bearing. So really tried to ignore the problem to finish off the season to go to the remaining shows. Well about another 750 if that were put on since August and after topping off the tank for winter storage decided to see what the oil / filter looked like so did a change. Seems to be getting worse, pics show bottom of oil DRAIN pan, filter element and after the oil was put thru a paint strainer. Disregard the large chunks in the strainer picture, some leaf debris made it into the oil. First oil sample came back as normal so sending out the latest one to a different lab. When I get the debris between my fingers and rub them together the debris almost dissolves. Really weird, all pretty uniform in size no oddball chunks. Time to rustle up a engine hoist I guess. Didn't mess with the cam sensor yet but will do it shortly.
bearings main.jpg
drain pan.jpg
filter element.jpg
strained oil.jpg

might be time for me to switch from Mobil1! Back to Brad Penn maybe. Subscribed!

Very much doubt it's a result of oil brand.. When the motor is out and torn down the problem will show itself.

IMHO it's a waste of time to send the oil out. It's obvious there is a problem.

Good luck Mark.

Rick

Hopes it's not the same deal as that other fellow that had sand dumped in his engine!

Hopes it's not the same deal as that other fellow that had sand dumped in his engine!

Doubtful on that. Never really leaves my sight when I am at shows. My breathers are not real easy to get off and putting them back in is even harder. Going to start with the cam sensor tonite if I have time. Haven't been in the best of health lately but going to have to hunker down and yank it out and just fix what I find. It will be a long cold winter anyway so something to do. Maybe it is time to go back to the big block Chevys with superchargers that I came from!

I can only hope that is what it is vs something in the rotating assembly. What is the gear made out of on cam sensor? Never been out of the motor. Still have to take off the pan to have a look / see!
Mark the cam sensor gear is steel but the body of the cam sensor is aluminium and where the lower spacer washer rides against the body it can literally wear down the 5 aluminium feet down to nothing! I have a bunch of them sitting here that are completely wore down....

Post up a nice side shot of your cam sensor when you get it out....

Last edited:
Hey Scot, Well pulled out the cam sensor and looks pretty much like the day Buick installed it in the motor. Very minor wear pattern on the teeth and no sign of the debris. Looked down the cam sensor hole and thought there was debris everywhere but it was just casting nibs on the front cover. Couldn't get a real good look at the chain and gears. And would like to put out a special thanks to the bozo who designed the hold down bolt/bracket setup. Got to be a better way!
camsensor 003.jpg

Attachments

• camsensor 002.jpg
    camsensor 002.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 206
Hey Scot, Well pulled out the cam sensor and looks pretty much like the day Buick installed it in the motor. Very minor wear pattern on the teeth and no sign of the debris. Looked down the cam sensor hole and thought there was debris everywhere but it was just casting nibs on the front cover. Couldn't get a real good look at the chain and gears. And would like to put out a special thanks to the bozo who designed the hold down bolt/bracket setup. Got to be a better way!View attachment 242085
Mark,

Also check for side to side play and end play...

Some cam sensors wear on the inside by the bottom bronze bushing... When the lower bushing spins in it's mount it literally wears on the inside of those 5 feet creating the side to side play....

Seeing those are "Wear Items" it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it rebuilt and for the money it's Cheap compared to the damage they can cause....