Looks like it's time to drop the oil pan!

wow, thats crazy. If it was me and it isn't raced hard I would do new bearings and quality rings, balance the rotating assembly, resize the rod ends with ARP bolts, and install a roller cam(206 is great)

My word, tear down a 37k motor over paint, Damn. None the less hope your new build goes well.

Bearings so far not looking bad! For the paint to get to the bearings it would have to go thru the oil filter first right?

Are those chips overspray from painting the covers?

Yes, on the INSIDE of the covers. Don't ask me why! Picture is of #1 rod bearing.

rodbearing1.jpg

Geez. At least you found out what the mystery was. Probably just as well you pulled it out if the timing gear was ready spit out teeth. That would not have been good either.

No, not yet. Champion heads were gone thru by Bison, ported intake was powder coated and decided that was it for mods. Since motor is out I have stripped front frame rails down to bare metal and have primed and painted them gloss black. Going with tubular upper and lower control arms and wanted everything to look nice. Getting fenders, doors and trunk lid/spoiler painted. Probably the only one who has had their entire car painted in stages. Did the hood, fillers and bumpers a few years back. Only thing left after this stage is the roof and quarters. Just don't have the $$$ to do the whole car at once and have confidence in the painter to make things look right. Paint started breaking down on the hood about 4 years ago so got that taken care of. Then the rest of the car started to go downhill. Still nice to the average person looking at it but not good enough for me.

Once I get the body parts all stripped and to the painters will concentrate on putting suspension back together and reassemble the motor. Short block untouched except for TA billet chain setup, Earls front cover. Still going to use the stock cam as it looked fine.

Very nice! I should of did that when my motor was out .Twice!!

Nice work! Wish I had a nice garage to work in...