Looks like it's time to drop the oil pan!

And would like to put out a special thanks to the bozo who designed the hold down bolt/bracket setup. Got to be a better way!

When I first saw the hold down I thought that it wasn't stock. That someone had just grabbed the bolt/washer set up from the rusty-trusty bolt bucket. So I installed a stud and used a SBC distributor hold down with a washer and nut over top the stud.

Now just need to loosen the nut, slide the hold down back and lift the sensor out.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Scot, obviously the cam sensor is not my debris problem but will probably send it in to you for a once over. Minimal side to side movement. Will probably go with the stud and SBC dist clamp in the future. Damned if I could find my 9/16" 1/4" drive socket last night!

It will be a long cold winter anyway so something to do. Maybe it is time to go back to the big block Chevys with superchargers that I came from!

You and me both. I need to pull my 4.1 and install some 'earlbrown' forged pistons AND build my procharged intercoled BBC engine for my jet boat.

It's like things never end. :)

Mark, This is a long shot, but is it possible the Camshaft Button has worn down where the tension of the button spring protrude and riding against the timing cover? The replacement Camshaft Button has ball bearing where as the original one rides on the cover and the oil lubes it. Just a thought
This cover was mine when I replaced the nylon cam sprocket and timing chain

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 264
From Blackstone Labso_O
------------------------------------------------

MARK: We looked for the debris you mentioned and did see some of it. We're not entirely sure what it is,
though nothing obvious stands out in our test results. Of course, the visible stuff is too large for our
machines to read anyway, so sometimes it doesn't show up in our tests. But other times when there's large
stuff, there's also small stuff. At any case, after about 1,000 miles on this sample, wear metals are all
reading nice and low and there's nothing problematic that we can see. The viscosity was light, but that's
usually harmless. Watch to see if the debris gets worse/better.

--------------------------------------------------
Screw it, motor is coming out anyway!;)

Screw it motor is coming out anyway!! Keep us up-dated as to what you are going to do to said motor. Fix what's maybe wrong, or a balls to the wall motor.

Ray

:eek:LS with twin turbos!

Really hoping to find the cam gear worn, only 37K on the car but some pounding on it here and there. For now planning on an Earls front cover, new chain and gears, valve springs. If all checks out and don't need to rebuild thinking about new heads. We shall see.

Really hoping to find the cam gear worn, only 37K on the car but some pounding on it here and there. For now planning on an Earls front cover, new chain and gears, valve springs. If all checks out and don't need to rebuild thinking about new heads. We shall see.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. BTW you will love Earls cover.

Make sure you get a good chain.
AG.

Will know soon! Almost ready to come out. I work slow these days.:rolleyes: I know the oil report came back good but all this debris is trying to tell me something.

We got updates! Pulled motor Christmas weekend. Pulled timing cover and everything looked fine. Found debris in heads and lifter valley. Same stuff as in the oil filter. Between your finger and thumb it would dissolve. Strange! Then I flipped the valve covers over and found the problem. Apparently the insides were painted with an aluminum colored paint and it was coming undone! No idea why it would have been painted but that is what it was. Does not appear to have done any damage. Cam is out and looks fine. Did see one of the exhaust valves has a bad guide. Had an occasional smoke issue so assume that is where that was coming from.

I looked closely at the cam gear and while all the teeth are intact, three of the teeth do have cracks in them so only a matter of time to when they would start letting go.

Got it ripped down to the short block and undecided on final plan from here. Sure would love to go full tilt but $$$ are not there. Right now going with Champion ported irons and lower intake that I made a deal on. Since the motor only has 37K on it will stick with the stock short block. Going with a T/A billet timing set that you use with a tensioner. Going to have Bison go over the heads before installing.

Was thinking about totally disassembling the short block and doing a rering and new bearings. Block would be tanked, cleanup hone, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. Of course alternative might be to just cleanup the short block and reuse as is . Doesn't appear that debris did any damage.
motorvalvecoverinside.jpg
motor1.jpg

Attachments

• motorexhaustvalve.jpg
    motorexhaustvalve.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 183
  • motorliftervalley.jpg
    motorliftervalley.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 175
  • motorout.jpg
    motorout.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 179