Blown Engine (Not!)

esinger

Stroker Hot Air
This past Sunday I was planning on taking the GN to the local track for a test and tune session. Several hours before the track opened, I decided to take the GN out for a spin to double check the tune and boost level. So I drive around and get the car warmed up and find a straight road for a WOT blast. I get to the spot and nail it, the car starts accelerating hard and all the sudden my worst nightmare happens. The car is smoking beyond belief and I’m leaving this huge trail of oily smoke behind me. I immediately get off the throttle, the car slows down and is running fine, however it’s still smoking from underneath the car. So I drive for around looking for a good area to pull off, I stop the car, pop the hood and oil is leaking heavily from somewhere under the engine while it’s running. The valve train started to get noisy due to the lack of oil (no other strange noises beyond that), so shut the car off. Beneath the car was a huge puddle of oil and the worst is going through my mind, that I’ve ruined the engine.
I immediately call Pat Broughton and Richard Clark for help, I’m sitting off the side of road and there’s no way I’m going to fire the car up again. About a hour later Pat and Richard arrive in Richard’s rollback and we pull the car on the pullback and head to Richard’s shop. If we had took a poll at that time, all three of us would have bet anything that the motor was toast.
We get the Richards shop, unload the car, put it on a lift and start inspecting under the car. There’s oil all over the bottom of the car, however it was mostly on the lower passenger side of the engine. Due to the spray pattern of the oil, Pat was thinking that the oil was pressurized out of the block (which ended up being correct). There was no obvious place that the oil was coming from although Pat’s eagle eye noticed something weird with the oil pan gasket. It looked like there was a section of the gasket missing. So we remove the oil pan and the gasket did have a small tear in it, but not enough to cause any of this. We remove the two middle caps and checked the bearings, they were in good shape and the crank journals were as good as new. So we put everything back together and Pat thinks it’s a good idea to oil back in the engine, remove the cam sensor and prime the oil system to see if we can tell where the oil was escaping from. It didn’t take but a couple of seconds priming the oil pump to see where the oil was coming from. Of all places, none of us would have thought oil would be shooting out of the oil pressure switch, but it sure was. Pat removed the oil pressure switch and one of its terminals was very loose and oil was coming out of that loose terminal.

We replaced the oil pressure switch, put everything back together and fire it up. Engine ran great, oil pressure was great and there were no leaks. All the oily smoke earlier came from the oil spraying onto the crossover.

You’d never had convenience Sunday that 7 hours later I would be driving my car home.

Once again, I owe Pat and Richard a huge THANK YOU!

Both Richard and Pat were trying to convince me that if I had an intercooler, none of this would have happened.

That's wild that it vented enough to cause valvetrain clatter.

Believe it or not it nearly emptied the oil pan, after I shut the car off I checked the level and there was nothing on the stick. When we drained the oil pan there was probably less that a quart left.

Believe it or not it nearly emptied the oil pan, after I shut the car off I checked the level and there was nothing on the stick. When we drained the oil pan there was probably less that a quart left.
Was that the original oil pressue switch? I think I still am useing mine. Im glad it turned out good for you. Did you ever go to the track or not? See ya! John

Do u figure out why the crank case has so much pressure ?
Pcv. Rings.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Was that the original oil pressue switch? I think I still am useing mine. Im glad it turned out good for you. Did you ever go to the track or not? See ya! John

Yeah John, it was the original oil pressure switch. Who would have thought they could go bad that way?

Nope, the track was closed by the time I left Richards shop. Even if it was still open, my nerves were shot

Do u figure out why the crank case has so much pressure ?
Pcv. Rings.

We originally thought the crankcase was under pressue, but it ended up not being the case. Just the oil pressue switch. Not sure what happened to that section of the oil pan gasket, but I'm sure it wasn't due to this issue.

Glad to have helped in the middle if a crisis......

Now about that intercooler.................
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Only in a Buick..........I had a similar thang happen with an oil cooler fitting. Pulled up to a stoplight and thought who drives the piece of chit stinkin like oil and smoking. It was mine.:(

i had that happen to my caddy 30 some years ago on the way to college ,had it happened on my truck . so to me a leaking oil sender /switch is no surprise ...and its not a freak thing ...happens more often than you'd think,
have a TTA on the lift right now with a leaking sender that would leave a foot size puddle after 20 minutes of idling

Oil sending units are prone to leak like that at any moment , Like pacecarta says it happens often , great save on your car for sure , Thank God for Patrick and Richard coming to your rescue .

Patrick has been there for me several times. There are some goods guys in this forum. Richard sent me a coil tester one time. No questions asked. Trusted me to send it back.

Only in a Buick..........I had a similar thang happen with an oil cooler fitting. Pulled up to a stoplight and thought who drives the piece of chit stinkin like oil and smoking. It was mine.:(

Same thing with the wife's T--brand new motor, just run in--she's got it floored and OP/CE lights go red! OP gauge drops to nothin'--I'm screamin for her to get out of it, but she's in Turbo LUST. and ain't paying attention
Had to reach over and turn the key off.

We got lucky that day too....

Addendum: after reading the above post, she insisted that I tell you all that she thoroughly spanked the Mustang she was racing at the time. I had to point out that the Ford got home under its own power--we went home on the hook....:cry::(

Wow Eric. Glad everything worked out and the engine is OK. I didn't know Piedmont was running yet.

Pat and Richard have also saved my engine and also towed me for a non-engine event. We are very fortunate to live so close to such great guys.

We are very fortunate Jim. Pat and Richard have saved my bacon many times and hate to think where I would be with my car if it were not for them.

During that hour wait for Pat and Richard to pick me up there were plenty of thoughts rolling through my mind. Like "Why am I doing this to myself?", "Is this car possessed?", "Would it be easier to take the money out of the bank and set it on fire?", "Maybe its time for an LS swap" and much more.

All those thoughts and feelings went away when I was driving the car home. Something about these cars can put a spell on you.

Last edited:
Addendum: after reading the above post, she insisted that I tell you all that she thoroughly spanked the Mustang she was racing at the time. I had to point out that the Ford got home under its own power--we went home on the hook....:cry::(

That's a pretty scary story Jay J. The car is hemorrhaging oil and the wife is determined to beat a mustang. All and all you are right, the mustang was the ultimate winner.

Here's a photo I took while waiting to be picked up. The leak was on the other side of the car and this is on gravel!

Attachments

• 20140112_110320.jpg
    20140112_110320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109