Anyone still using conventional oil?

Lots of crap in here.

"I've been using X with no problems!"

Really? Tear your engine down and measure some stuff. Or show us long-term oil analysis results from a lab. Then make a claim like that. If you haven't done that, then shut up. You have no idea if you have a problem or not.

The reality is synthetics last longer, have a much higher heat tolerance, flow WAY better cold (and cold starts are where most of your wear occurs), and are more resistant to chemical breakdown than conventional oils. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Do you need to buy $10/qt magic synthentic? No. Whatever full synthetic is on sale is good enough.
Leaks? Your gaskets are shit. Fix them.
Flat tappet? Run Royal Purple HPS or put a ZDDP additive in your Mobil1.
My GS is due for an oil change, its about 1k miles over the oil monitor Wich is slow to tick down.. probly 8-9k on the royal purple 5-30, many sub zero starts, I'll send this in and post results here if anyone's interested.

KIMG0363.JPG

I hit the search
What’s the normal oil temperature ,without a oil cooler?Our cars water temperature is just 160 to 170

Nobody cares about that. You can read the numerous oil cooler threads (pretty much just as much as a clusterf**k as any oil thread).

People go back and forth between ''it's not needed'' to ''GM must have put it there for a reason'' to ''our cars are making twice the HP of stock and you want to delete a cooler by default?" (< that one is me :) )

I've never seen any ''Well according to my before/after tests with a temp probe......."

Which kinda circles back to me saying that today's oil is much better than oil from 30 years ago. It would appear that MANY modern oils can put up with the extra load and heat.

I started using Mobil 1 in 1987. When the twin Turbo Callaway Corvette came out the warranty was void if any other oil was used.

I went 210,000 miles on an un opened engine, more than half of it towing my boat. Pedal to the floor at every light because it was fun. Finally spun a bearing.:eek: Never ran at the track but had thousands of 0-80 full throttle launches more than half TOWING THE BOAT!!:cool:

I bumped this old thread just for the humor factor

Guilty as charged

I think I may have bumped another oil thread someplace

Haha

I started using Mobil 1 in 1987. When the twin Turbo Callaway Corvette came out the warranty was void if any other oil was used.

I went 210,000 miles on an un opened engine, more than half of it towing my boat. Pedal to the floor at every light because it was fun. Finally spun a bearing.:eek: Never ran at the track but had thousands of 0-80 full throttle launches more than half TOWING THE BOAT!!:cool:

^^ Me too.
For me it was the article in the GS-Xtra newsletter where they ran two turbo engines under full load until one stoped. At 300 some hours the turbo on the engine running conventional oil had turned into a molten blob of goo.

The turbo on the engine running Mobile 1 synthetic looked like new.

That was the turning point for me.

Nobody cares about that. You can read the numerous oil cooler threads (pretty much just as much as a clusterf**k as any oil thread).

People go back and forth between ''it's not needed'' to ''GM must have put it there for a reason'' to ''our cars are making twice the HP of stock and you want to delete a cooler by default?" (< that one is me :) )

I've never seen any ''Well according to my before/after tests with a temp probe......."

Which kinda circles back to me saying that today's oil is much better than oil from 30 years ago. It would appear that MANY modern oils can put up with the extra load and heat.

The heat's not that bad:
1539279830675.png

This is a track session at the SCCA TT Nats. Lower chart is relevant temperatures. I'm using the big radiator from GNS Performance with the built-in oil and transmission coolers. The transmission also has a huge auxiliary cooler after the radiator cooler.

I pitted when the transmission got up around 180. But water was still below 200 and the oil maxed out at 223. That's still in range of a conventional (230-260). Synthetic can get up above 300 and be fine. From my experience, keeping the transmission cool is harder than the engine oil. Because both circuits go through the radiator, the engine oil is going to pull the water temp up, which is going to pull up the transmission temp. But the transmission is the most heat sensitive item. It needs to stay below 225 or you start killing the fluid and bad things cascade from there.

My use case is extreme. Based on my data, you're fine with the stock oil cooler for a street car and even a drag car. A drag application doesn't run the motor long enough to really put any heat in the oil.

Which, ironically, is an argument FOR a good synthetic. If you're not getting the oil up to temp often enough to burn off contaminants, then you'll benefit from synthetic's better ability to suspend those contaminants and not sludge up the motor.

used just about everything out there,but all i will use now is mobil 1 15-50.

Why? What made you come to this conclusion?

Not an attack. These threads are always very short on actual data. Let's change that.

I've found Mobil1 products to be very temperature tolerant, but they're THIN. If you tried a 5w40 in a Motul V300 or Royal Purple, you'd probably see similar pressures to what you're getting with the 15w50 Mobil1.

Why? What made you come to this conclusion?
a couple of reasons.the oil looks the best for the longest,i run methanol.never did it for oil pressure but after hit after hit pressure is never low, and my engine builder said the bearings looked mint when he took it apart,i have never lost a turbo or oil pressure due to bearing failure.i also have a source that did alot of research into oils and claimed the mobil 1 syn tested the best.i cant go into who he worked for at the time or how it was tested but he is a solid guy.