Your thoughts on the New 707hp 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Mike, the Performance Pages deal is really cool. They've taken what Nissan did with the GT-R to a whole new level. Not to mention what Chevy is doing with their Performance Data Recorder. "Excuse me sir, is that a race car?" "It sure does have all them race car gadgets in it!"

Apparently someone has a chance if they bid on it to own the 1st one.
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-c...0001-auctioned-charity-barrett-210853510.html

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Given it's being sold at BJ's, it'll probably sell for a couple million, LOL. And then we can here the local idiot who bought one at a local cruise night tell everyone that "one just like mine sold for TWO MILLION dollars at BJ so mines worth at least half that. Oh yea, it's an evil cycle we can't just break..........:)

I could see jay leno or so other well off car collector taking it home, it'll be the ultimate garage queen probably as well.
At least it's going to raise money for some charity, but it's gonna go for a good bit of money for sure.

Given it's being sold at BJ's, it'll probably sell for a couple million, LOL. And then we can here the local idiot who bought one at a local cruise night tell everyone that "one just like mine sold for TWO MILLION dollars at BJ so mines worth at least half that. Oh yea, it's an evil cycle we can't just break..........:)

True, but the question to ask at that point will be;

"Cool story, bro. I got an old Buick that runs pretty good, care to show me how that Kitty Cat really runs?"

Yup very true as long as the person driving the hellcat doesn't blow the tires off or if it's a manual transmission equipped doesn't miss any shifts.

One more thing to consider. Our TR's can hold their own, but how many can do it on pump gas only? Something us TR owners quickly forget is that we need race gas, methanol, or E85 to keep up with the modern muscle. What happens when they go with a tune, bigger pulley, and use a different fueling option? This will all start to happen big time once these cars get some miles on them and warranties expire.

One more thing to consider. Our TR's can hold their own, but how many can do it on pump gas only? Something us TR owners quickly forget is that we need race gas, methanol, or E85 to keep up with the modern muscle. What happens when they go with a tune, bigger pulley, and use a different fueling option? This will all start to happen big time once these cars get some miles on them and warranties expire.

The hellcat and other modern muscle have alot of technologic advances over our TR's tech. The technology has come a very long ways since our TR's and the TTA's were born. If the fuel quality of the old days were still available at the pumps today, not this watered down stuff then we wouldn't have to work as hard to do what we do with our antiques. Eventually something is gonna come along and be better than was in the past, that's the price of advances in automotive technology. While some TR owners may tend to forget we need to have more than pump gas to play with the modern muscle, the modern muscle are designed to run on this watered down grade of fuel and the computer in them is far more advanced over what was used in TR's. For pushrod v6 technology that's against v8's of today, we do ok just we need alittle extra help to avoid knock on today's fuel and to make decent power.
Another difference is the modern muscle are using transmission technology that are much more efficient than anything we have for our cars, we have 4 speed transmission cars and the other guys have more gears which allow them to hit their power curve quicker per gear than we're able to plain & simple. We're up against traction control equipped cars, with better weight transfer abilities and of course make more power per cylinder than we are on solely pump gas. We've been out-teched and that's really all there is to it. It's amazing our cars even existed at all and they'll be a day when the hellcats will be in the same boat being out-teched by something.

The hellcats are awesome cars, still love my TR though and wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world regardless of how quick or not she is.

Well said^^^ and after that our cars are still Buick's! The grama brand of the car world.

Yeah, be interesting how long before the current modern muscle car fizzles out and we see a shift away from factory high performance vehicle cycle that's happened a couple times before.
Wonder how many miles before the modern muscle starts showing declines in performance and how long they'll live before having to be torn apart and rebuilt. Wondering if the reason some make a bit less torque than horsepower is because they're worried about the load being put on parts with massive torque or if they felt that focusing purely on horsepower would help them play the horsepower number game that alot of people focus alot on hp number alone, not accounting for other important thing as well.

I don't care if some think TR's are grandma cars, they'll forever have a place in history of being something special and doing alot with not so much under the hood.

Yeah, a well built, fully restored TR is going to have a good $40k into it if you don't do all the work yourself...and will only be worth $20-25k. In the end it will still be a POS 80's regal with poor body panel fit and leaky frameless windows.

The problem is that these will be limited production and the dealer markups will be insane. If my GN was worth north of $30k and I could get one of these for MSRP, I would consider dumping it and my WRX to have the cash for one of these.

I can think of 547 times when this was done before. I believe the year was 1987.

Last edited:
The hellcat and other modern muscle have alot of technologic advances over our TR's tech. The technology has come a very long ways since our TR's and the TTA's were born. If the fuel quality of the old days were still available at the pumps today, not this watered down stuff then we wouldn't have to work as hard to do what we do with our antiques. Eventually something is gonna come along and be better than was in the past, that's the price of advances in automotive technology. While some TR owners may tend to forget we need to have more than pump gas to play with the modern muscle, the modern muscle are designed to run on this watered down grade of fuel and the computer in them is far more advanced over what was used in TR's. For pushrod v6 technology that's against v8's of today, we do ok just we need alittle extra help to avoid knock on today's fuel and to make decent power.
Another difference is the modern muscle are using transmission technology that are much more efficient than anything we have for our cars, we have 4 speed transmission cars and the other guys have more gears which allow them to hit their power curve quicker per gear than we're able to plain & simple. We're up against traction control equipped cars, with better weight transfer abilities and of course make more power per cylinder than we are on solely pump gas. We've been out-teched and that's really all there is to it. It's amazing our cars even existed at all and they'll be a day when the hellcats will be in the same boat being out-teched by something.

The hellcats are awesome cars, still love my TR though and wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world regardless of how quick or not she is.

The fact is, our TR's are over 25 years old now.

Even though we are now out "classed", out horse powered, out this and out that'd, I'd be interested in seeing just how many Hellcats will be out there, on the hunt for races whenever and where ever they can find one, and winning, as more than a few of us TR owners do as often as possible, 25 years from now.

Will there be a " Callous Cat" out there, one that can walk in the footsteps or even begin to hold a torch to the "Mean Chicken"?:chicken: Or will they be locked away in garages, waiting for their owners to die, so that their kids can sell 'em for the "big bucks" their daddy always said the car was worth?

Then again, I'll probably be dead........... :dead:......... so whatever.

Bring 'em on, Dodge boys!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Last edited:
I don't see the hellcat having the reputation longivity like our TR's have had. They just won't have the impact in the public eye and in 10-15 years will be just a fad that died out like other short lived retro cars before them. In the end while our antiques are still being enjoyed and loved on by us for many more years to come, the kitty will fade out and will be just a bookmark in dodges history. Some might consider our cars to be pieces of s**t regals and such, but i view our TR's as "pieces of success" in automotive history. :)

Most of the owners of the hellcats that drive them wouldn't drive them properly anyways, so won't matter how much more power they have if they cant drive it.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it took a long time, but the technology has finally caught up with our 1980 something technology. Our cars aren't looked at as the modern muscle car any longer. That title is now owned by the new V, ZL1, ZR1, Hellcat, and Shelby GT 500. Of course those are all pricey cars, but their little siblings can be modded to be just like them. With that being said, our cars have become true legends. When I take out the gn, nobody tries to race me any more. They all smile and give me a big thumbs up. Nobody wants a part of this car. Its so different from when my wife and I got this car in '98. Everyone on the street wanted a piece of me and I fought every last one of them off.

We're classic muscle nowadays, which isn't anything to be ashamed of. Alot of why you are finding it difficult to have anyone want to race you and are just getting the thumbs up where ever you go is attributed to the wide respect our cars have earned in the automotive world from the reputation of our cars had made for themselves. Alot of people think the turbo buicks, turbo trans-ams, the syclones and typhoons are cool vehicles. Alot of people don't want to test their luck against our turbo half dozens and those that do generally have found out how bad of an idea it was to try. Alot of people want to own our cars and want to be a part of our smaller community.
We'll see if after some time passes if anyone else has had the same effect in the automotive world, pretty sure that'll be a tougher order than some think.

You'd probably have to go back aways into automotive history to find that, quite a few years before our legends were born.

I was the owner of one of these “modern day marvels”, an 08 GT500. IMO, I prefer driving my 87 GN. There are pros and cons to all things. I think the only the few advantages are fit and finish, and handling and cornering, hands down new cars. Everything else I think our cars have the advantage. Cost, $60k vs. $20K. I rather hold on to my extra $40K. I use to get a lot of attention in my GT500 in 08 and 09. I remember driving the car home from the dealer. I was on 95 in NJ, I saw a Lambo in my mirror, the guy pulled up to me and said “what a beautiful car”. When the 10’s came out , I was just another Mustang with stripes. They will always come out with new styles. Our cars are timeless. I get notice just as much if not more in my GN. As far as speed, and 1/4mile. I haven’t taken my GN to the track. I am mostly stock. I have a new Alky kit at home waiting to be installed. I’m guessing I can pull mid 12’s once installed. I had my GT500 at the track once, my best was 12.8.
I guess it’s all preference, I just like being different, and these cars are sure different and lots of fun with all the available bolt on’s.