Owner crashes new Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat 1 hour after buying it.

whitehot1

-hellcat-owner-wrecks-707-hp-dodge-challenger-one-hour-after-buying-it/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I tried to post the link to the story but it didn't work. But i tried it again and it works now.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...hp-dodge-challenger-one-hour-after-buying-it/

I had a feeling this was going to happen but not this soon. When these ultra high hp cars were going to be placed in the hands of ordinary drivers who only know 2 speeds; stopped or to the floor.Really sad part is this is just the beginning.

Last edited:
just think of the outrage that would have taken place on the internet if it existed in 1987 when the first GNX got crashes shortly after leaving the lot. everyone would have been all "245hp is too much. no one needs that much power. it's gonna get everyone killed".

707 hp is way to much power for a factory performance engine to be sold in a passenger car. I can see a lot of law suits coming in the future from this.

There are a lot of rich daddy kids here in this area and i'm sure they will get their hands on these cars. No way do they need to be armed with a weapon like this.

There was a kid in my HS graduation who's dad got him a 1999 Saleen Mustang brandy new for a present. He wrecked it twice within 2 months and totaled it in 4. Fortunately he didn't kill anyone in the process.

707 hp is way to much power for a factory performance engine to be sold in a passenger car. I can see a lot of law suits coming in the future from this.

There are a lot of rich daddy kids here in this area and i'm sure they will get their hands on these cars. No way do they need to be armed with a weapon like this.
Yeah right. Does this mean that if a builder/tuner doubles or triples the output of an engine he has to worry about a lawsuit if the owner doesn't know how to handle it? Good luck getting decent insurance if you are under 25 and have any hits on your record at all. Imo 707hp is not a lot of power in a heavy car like the Challenger. With some tweaking 850hp wouldnt be out of the picture. Even a small shot of nitrous with an exhaust system revision would push the power well over 800hp and still be fine on 93 octane

BPE2013@hotmail.com

It's not the 707 hp that crashed that car , just going to fast for the curvy ,up and down hill road it was .

Yeah right. Does this mean that if a builder/tuner doubles or triples the output of an engine he has to worry about a lawsuit if the owner doesn't know how to handle it? ...

Couldn't agree more Bison and Stage1gn ...

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

707hp didn't drive like an a**hole. An a**hole drives like an a**hole.

Total cliché but with great power comes great responsibility. This situation is no different.

The people in the Challenger are lucky , look at the sad end of life Paul Walker had .

They're suing the makers of the Bushmaster as we speak, and car manufacturers get sued a lot. :eek:

Plenty of liberal scumbag lawyers out there looking to save everyone and make a name for themselves. :poop:

It's only some paperwork away. :rolleyes:

These newer performance cars have sophisticated traction control and braking. If the driver left it in street mode and not track mode loosing control would actually be a challenge. I own a car dealership and have driven almost everything made in the US. You take a 600 HP anything and get on some gravel. Leave the traction control on and put it to the wood. You might throw a rock or two but that's it. If this guy got this car sideways on pavement I'll guarantee you what button he hit prior to putting his foot to the floor and just before the crash.

The most dangerous production car I have ever owned was a Dodge Viper. I had 3 of them over the years. My last was a 2002 with 8500 miles. Only mod was headers and exhaust. No ABS, No Traction control. It did have power windows and A/C though. This is a drivers car that Corvette owners fear. I nailed it in first and hit second at 65 mph and the car went batt shit crazy. I looked at both ditches in under a second. Managed to get it slowed down with 2 tires in the gravel. I had vertigo when I stopped!!!! That wouldn't happen in a Hellcat if the traction system is activated.

As far as lawsuits??? Naaah way to hard to blame the car in court.

What a shame. I'm not going to sit back and be an arm chair QB and call the driver an idiot. I've never driven one. These may be squirrely as hell. That road is not a good road for a high power car though with those crests and dips. Super easy to unload the rear tires and lose it. That being said, the owner probably should have practiced on straight roads first. "Aim that cannon before you fire it" comes to mind.

These newer performance cars have sophisticated traction control and braking. If the driver left it in street mode and not track mode loosing control would actually be a challenge. I own a car dealership and have driven almost everything made in the US. You take a 600 HP anything and get on some gravel. Leave the traction control on and put it to the wood. You might throw a rock or two but that's it. If this guy got this car sideways on pavement I'll guarantee you what button he hit prior to putting his foot to the floor and just before the crash.

The most dangerous production car I have ever owned was a Dodge Viper. I had 3 of them over the years. My last was a 2002 with 8500 miles. Only mod was headers and exhaust. No ABS, No Traction control. It did have power windows and A/C though. This is a drivers car that Corvette owners fear. I nailed it in first and hit second at 65 mph and the car went batt shit crazy. I looked at both ditches in under a second. Managed to get it slowed down with 2 tires in the gravel. I had vertigo when I stopped!!!! That wouldn't happen in a Hellcat if the traction system is activated.

As far as lawsuits??? Naaah way to hard to blame the car in court.

No tc, no abs, just like a cobra, the real ones. When men were men. I swear, if I hear one more thing about this car being too powerful, I'll lose it. Just sell your tr right now if you think the hellcat is too much car. There's no abs, no tc, and the gm engineers never designed a gbody to deal with what we throw at them. Having a scary car is what it's all about. If the owner can't handle it, it'll scare them into a new hobby. You can die doing about anything so buyer be ware.

700+hp factory car with a warranty is freaking awesome. It's unfortunate that this one got smashed up so quick but if you don't respect the machine that's bound to happen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the driver of that Hellcat isn't suing Dodge for this crash.

If a customer can sue and win against McDonalds for being burnt by a hot cup of coffee.

Dodge has only been delivering these new Hellcat powered cars to dealerships for about a month, so lets give it some time say maybe a year and see what the outcome will be for the unexperienced drivers who buy them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the driver of that Hellcat isn't suing Dodge for this crash.

If a customer can sue and win against McDonalds for being burnt by a hot cup of coffee.

Dodge has only been delivering these new Hellcat powered cars to dealerships for about a month, so lets give it some time say maybe a year and see what the outcome will be for the unexperienced drivers who buy them.
Any asshat that would even consider suing a car manufacturer/tuner because he couldn't handle the car should be burned at the stake.

BPE2013@hotmail.com