What's it gonna take to save this class?

Mike, I was just gonna make a 71.5mm round plug out of uhmw. Has to have a hole in the middle for the wheel nut. It should be snug on a 71 and not fit a 67. Ill chip in on material if you wanna make it.

I have material here already that will work. I don't have anything to do this weekend, so I can make it tomorrow.

Since I don't have a 71, I can't be sure I can make it snug unless someone can give me an accurate ID measurement. I can make it 71.49mm. I'll be at BG at least by Thursday and if it doesn't fit in a 71, I'll turn it down when I go home that night.

It would be better to be a go/no go gage. A 71.51 should not fit and 71.4x should.

When we did the original plug for TSM (which I would like to have back), I did research as to the clearance that the different turbo manufactures used to be fair. Then I took the max clearance and added it to the wheel size to have a correct fitting plug. What you will find is that different turbo manufactures use different clearances on the compressor wheel. The day (in Norwalk) the old plug did not fit several of the TSM cars turbos and the they were allowed to race marked this classes struggle for car count in my opinion.

From the rules
• Maximum size compressor wheel inducer size is less than 71.5mm. Inlet bore cannot exceed 72mm to allow for machining tolerances. Maximum compressor wheel exducer size is less than 103mm.
• No sleeves, welding or cold weld epoxy on any exterior surface of the turbo compressor housing to allow a larger than legal “70mm” compressor wheel to be installed is allowed.

Since the 71mm and 67mm designations are max limits, you only need no go gauges. Since 72mm is the max limit, 72.1 should not fit. There is no spec called out for the 67, so assuming the same tolerance, a 68.1 should not fit.

If you make one that fits, it only proves that the housing is bigger than the plug.

Also according to the rules, this is something that will only be used in case of a turbo protest. If that is the case the compressor housing should come off because there is also an exducer max called out. So, a simple round gauge should do.

Unless that gives someone heartburn, I'll make no go gauges in 72.1mm and 68.1mm.

I have the rings to measure both inducer and exducer for both turbos. I had them made when no one could produce the original rings or plug. I'll have them in BG in case someone protests. Not that that will happen. I plan on running a 67 at BG so I'll measure and double check both turbos I have before then.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have the rings to measure both inducer and exducer for both turbos. I had them made when no one could produce the original rings or plug. I'll have them in BG in case someone protests. Not that that will happen. I plan on running a 67 at BG so I'll measure and double check both turbos I have before then.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I thought that you pulled out of this deal? I don't think we will be bringing a car after all.

It would be nice to have 2 classes Tsm and Xtsm. and this is just saying most tsm cars run in the 9s so to make things fair for everyone we should make xtsm a 8.90 or faster index i think it would bring more cars to the events just a thought Jason.Nothing against you bud.

I thought that you pulled out of this deal? I don't think we will be bringing a car after all.

Where did I say I pulled out? Sorry to hear you won't bring white lightning down to let SackRacing have a redo, but not surprised. ;)

It would be nice to have 2 classes Tsm and Xtsm. and this is just saying most tsm cars run in the 9s so to make things fair for everyone we should make xtsm a 8.90 or faster index i think it would bring more cars to the events just a thought Jason.Nothing against you bud.

We can barely fill one class much less two. If most cars run mid nines then what would we gain from having two classes? There's already bracket/index classes.

Back to my original reply, To keep Mike E from having to make rings, I already have some and will bring them to BG.

I don't understand why you would want to do that. Are you content to go no faster than 9's? While my car and motor may look like it's capable of 8's, I expect it to take a lot of testing and tuning (time) to get there. I don't expect it to go 8's at BG because I'm basically not going to have any time to test before hand and everything is pretty much new.

If you were to do what you propose, it would basically eliminate Jason from running, he would be in a class by himself. If that were the case, what would prevent him from detuning the car to run 9.00 consistently like a bracket car and clean up anyways. I don't want to speak for him, but I expect his car is still legal for the old TSM rules and my car would be 100% tsm legal other than the block and displacement.

Back to my original reply, To keep Mike E from having to make rings, I already have some and will bring them to BG.

No problem.