Swapping out locks….question

GregInAtl2

I’m swapping locks out on my 86 GN, it has door locks that have wires running to them for the security system. The new locks I purchased do not have a place for those wires. I’ve never really liked this feature anyway so it says something I can just leave unplugged or is just gonna cause me issues.

2 wires on the lock and 2 on the retailer clip

Attachments

• IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4881.jpeg
    IMG_4881.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
wires are for security option
the ones on clip are there to prevent someone from popping the lock in because that will cause the alarm to activate
the ones on lock are to arm and disarm the system
the replacement locks are short style , you would need long style to retain the arming ring
if you put the short locks in you could reuse the clip with switch or use the one that comes with new locks
the security harness could be removed by unplugging at the bottom of door and remove the ground screw
as for the ring , well you cant install it so it wont be able to be used , if your security option hasnt been disabled if you lock the doors with the door switch and close the doors the alarm can be activated
if you open the door with a key (now without the plastic ring switch) it wont disarm security and you cant turn it off and alarm will go off .. horn will go off and headlamps will flash and will also prevent starting the car
you will need to get into the dash and remove the in line security fuses in the dash harness that are between the radio and the dash cluster

Last edited:
Wow, great detail and info! Thanks a lot! I do have short regular locks. I really don’t want OEM security, I’m going to add it aftermarket which should be much better.

So if I use short locks, I need to unlock lug the whole harness in the door and remove its ground. Also I need to disable under the dash as well?? Is there a fuse in the panel or is it just between the column and radio? Any idea wire color?

dont need to remove the door harness but might as well while your there so its not dangling around
i had to pull the panel and reconnect the harness and turn the switch to get my alarm off, luckily i kept it in the trunkwith the old lock
the fuse for security is not in the fuse panel for a reason, would be too easy to get at
need to pull fuse in the harness, youll find a blade fuse holder tail sticking out from the main harness pretty much its behind the right hand idiot cluster behind the plastic backer plate, might be able to pull the radio and reach it , not sure i never tried
theres 2 fuses there. . only one needs to come out , if you pull both without reconfiguring the harness the starter will be disabled because it needs power to the interrupt relay

wires are for security option
the ones on clip are there to prevent someone from popping the lock in because that will cause the alarm to activate
the ones on lock are to arm and disarm the system
the replacement locks are short style , you would need long style to retain the arming ring
if you put the short locks in you could reuse the clip with switch or use the one that comes with new locks
the security harness could be removed by unplugging at the bottom of door and remove the ground screw
as for the ring , well you cant install it so it wont be able to be used , if your security option hasnt been disabled if you lock the doors with the door switch and close the doors the alarm can be activated
if you open the door with a key (now without the plastic ring switch) it wont disarm security and you cant turn it off and alarm will go off .. horn will go off and headlamps will flash and will also prevent starting the car
you will need to get into the dash and remove the in line security fuses in the dash harness that are between the radio and the dash cluster
Do you know where this fuse is exactly? Do I remove the dash bezel, or reach under the dash or behind the radio? There’s a lot under there and I can’t seem to make sense of it. Maybe wire color and fuse location?!

Quick thought, couldn’t I just clip and cap a wire on the door lock mechanism? Seems like that would work similarly if the security never gets the signal from the lock.