V8 cars go somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
I'm not trying to compare unlimited power potential. Once you get over a certain power level the V6 will start to suffer and fall behind. We are obviously not talking about 99% of the people out there and even in the 1000 to 1200 HP range I still believe the V6 has the advantage and I am willing to prove it.

I agree 100% on this:biggrin:

Ya'll are going over my head with the air flow = max pressure mumbo jumbo. I am the one with the big mouth in the crowd yelling "YOU STILL CAN'T BEAT THE 6 BITCHES:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool:

For the overall cool factor you just can't beat the 6... If we ever get our car back and I don't sale it after we do business I am not sure I will do the V8 think in the regal body anyway. If I back away from the heart of the car I mine as well change cars....

Not saying I wouldn't like to have a nice lsx motor regal to drive on pump gas and spin tires:biggrin: It would have to be a heck of a deal for me to do it. I just as soon drive the vette or something to get my bowtie on;)

I had a long response, but I'm sitting out. This thread is frustrating.

I think Lonnie has a good point - why he started the thread and why I chimed in and Dusty has a good transition to when a guy might think to make the switch - why i might eventually make the switch.

But that's not what the average guy (yeahoo on the board) is thinking and saying. We're talking about 11 second guys who can't tune a v6 saying to switch to a V8 because you can make more power.

This website is based on the Turbo6 set up. I have plenty of friends in my area with Turbo LS motors in various other cars and quite frankly, I could care less for them. Everyone and their brother around here has a Turbo LS set up but when I pull up in one of my GNs, they all have mad respect for the car becuase they know what our cars have accomplished.

What I'm trying to say is, it is easier to go with an LS set up and they do make excellent power............................but why? We are driving a BAD MAMMA JAMMA Buick Grand Freakin National!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our cars are really bad a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

[QUOTE Eticket] We're talking about 11 second guys who can't tune a v6 saying to switch to a V8 because you can make more power.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Once you get into racing at the level Dusty and some of the other guys are at that is a totally different ball game that the "Average" owner...

Yes and I am willing to prove it $$$. I have my stock style head TSO motor sitting here with a new PTE billet wheel 88mm turbo. You find ANY LSx motor build and a dyno I will show up to prove it as long as they run the EXACT same turbo.

Boost levels mean nothing I thought you where smarter than that:confused: Take the same volume of air and put it in a larger box and you will obviously have less pressure. Obviously I wont be comparing boost numbers, just the final tally on an engine dyno:eek::eek::cool::cool::D:D
Why would someone building a high horsepower LS use an 88 turbo? I don't see the reasoning. A few TSO combos here including yours are using way more mass flow than optimum with the 88. what would happen if you guys were allowed to use nitrous and larger turbos in TSO or just ran in an open heads up class. You would be back to the drawing board again. No doubt a smaller than optimum compressor will make More hp on a smaller engine. Applying everything I've learned playing with these v6's for 17 years to a larger displacement v8 will have a very positive result. Nothing about either is cheap or cheaper though.

What is your point then? What makes his car so unstreetable? I can tell you this it isnt the motor!! I did much of the same thing with my TSO car on a regular basis. As a matter of fact the new owner had it at a local cruise in Detroit this weekend. Maybe Ted A, Mike or the Bamford's saw it?

IMO Jason's car is very streetable. Just like mine was when I had the radiator in it. Point is. If you can run 8 teens with a V6 and call it streetable, I can run 7.50's with a V8 and call it streetable.

Are either of these something I would drive 300 miles to the beach...no. For me to call something a daily driver I want 93 pump gas. I wouldn't bother putting a V8 in my car to run 10's but I won't dog out someone who wanted to.

Was a good post should have left it up

Just figured I would stay out of it with my slow opinions:biggrin:

but im with ya lonnieman:cool:

the sum of my deleted post was "any idiot can make some power with cubic inches" :p

edit: Jason's car is very streetable and we all know its making killer power...ask me how I know
(looks good jw with the chute on at the sonic cruise in :)!)
He is mostly the blame why I will never have a fast enough street car

What is your point then? What makes his car so unstreetable? I can tell you this it isnt the motor!! I did much of the same thing with my TSO car on a regular basis. As a matter of fact the new owner had it at a local cruise in Detroit this weekend. Maybe Ted A, Mike or the Bamford's saw it?

I heard the new owner couldn't keep the car running long enough to back it out of the driveway or off the trailer to the staging lanes. I am glad to hear Bruce at Aggressive was able to get things sorted out. We have been looking forward to running across and throwing a spank down on him. :eek:

I heard the new owner couldn't keep the car running long enough to back it out of the driveway or off the trailer to the staging lanes. I am glad to hear Bruce at Aggressive was able to get things sorted out. We have been looking forward to running across and throwing a spank down on him. :eek:

It had a bad crank sensor that plague us. It is fixed now and was out on the streets this past weekend.

Whenever you guys want to throw down just LMK. I will be there to drive.

It had a bad crank sensor that plague us. It is fixed now and was out on the streets this past weekend.

Whenever you guys want to throw down just LMK. I will be there to drive.

I will pay for the video ;):biggrin:

Thread clarification?

So, after reading this thread there seems to be many different sentiments being expressed. I'm not really sure what the point boils down to.

Is this about TR owners removing a turbo 6 and dropping in an 8 cylinder? If that's the case, why not use a n/a regal instead of chopping up a tr. Is the TR set-up that much better than a n/a regal?

If it's about cost, I'm not sure. I saw the figure of $3500 for a v8 mentioned earlier. I recently had a tr engine built and it was not anywhere close to $3500!- Cost me a few pennies more.;) Will it be fast? I damn sure hope so.

If this is a cost thing, why not post up some comparison build quotes with real world performance numbers?

Maybe this is like the 200r4 vs. 400 trans issue. (400 is cheaper and stronger right?- at least that's what I've read)- Why keep one in a tr? Because it's what it came with.

Don't get me wrong, I like all types of cars and new innovation as well as hot rodding but, I would prefer to see TR's running the turbo 6 as that's what legends are made of.:cool:

Just my .02

We are out every weekend, take your pick V8 or V6 bring some $$ too. The camera will be pointed towards the rear to catch all the action.

So, after reading this thread there seems to be many different sentiments being expressed. I'm not really sure what the point boils down to.

Is this about TR owners removing a turbo 6 and dropping in an 8 cylinder? If that's the case, why not use a n/a regal instead of chopping up a tr. Is the TR set-up that much better than a n/a regal?

You got it!!!!!!!!! I see guys on this board with 12 sec to 10 sec cars Or asking questions on how or where to go to build a 9 or 8 sec TR. Then you have another fella breaking out the ultimate wisdom to inform them that they should swap to an LS because life would just be better and how cheep it is BLAH BLAH. They dont bother to tell them not only will they kill the value of their car and also destroy a car that has a great performance history. When their TR is more than capable of running the times listed for comparable money. These guys IMO have no real love for the Turbo Buick and the respect this car deserves. When you decimate you TR this way it becomes a Monte or a Cutlass or point being nothing special anymore. The funny thing is the guys I see do this spend more and go slower. This is a small group and would bet if you average the turbo group you would find that we have a faster group on average. You see it at the local tracks. You see it online. The local guys sure aren't breaking any records. These LS guys that make remarkable power are very few and spent big dollars to do it.

We are out every weekend, take your pick V8 or V6 bring some $$ too. The camera will be pointed towards the rear to catch all the action.

Hey ur the one lookin for him. He lives 10 minutes.from u Go find him and lmk when u do. I will be there to drive v6 or v8 or both matters not to me. I got some $$ to put on it we'll see what u show up with first.

Hey ur the one lookin for him. He lives 10 minutes.from u Go find him and lmk when u do. I will be there to drive v6 or v8 or both matters not to me. I got some $$ to put on it we'll see what u show up with first.

Chris these guys aren't looking to find anyone. They have more stalls than a horse track.

Status
Not open for further replies.