V8 cars go somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
It cracks me up first it was v8s gtfo, then it was lax and lc2 which is more reliable and cheaper to make a good amount of power, then it was which one make streight out the most power, now its which one can make the most power on a limited turbo... Haha so let's get the turbo off of a small perkins engine and have a competition like that?

see post #78

Ok ok

IM GOING TO DROP IN A PRATT WHITNEY JET TURBINE .. WHY USE ANY PISTONS? WHEN YOU CAN USE ONE BIG AZZ TURBO .. :smile:

Yes and I am willing to prove it $$$. I have my stock style head TSO motor sitting here with a new PTE billet wheel 88mm turbo. You find ANY LSx motor build and a dyno I will show up to prove it as long as they run the EXACT same turbo.

OK so here is what we will do, we have a dyno we can use any time. As soon as Kurt Urban gets Ted A's LSX motor done I will take that challange, We will use a T6 Pro Mod 88, sound good?

It's all a moot point now,As the new Coyote 5.0 is TAKIN OVER + will rule the roost in no time anyway.:eek:

Dusty, please see post #38

Jason is a good friend and he has set the bar for v6 performance and reliability. He has beat on that motor for years. He drives it on long cruises and beats on v8's at the local events. Still it's not a daily driver just like my car wasn't when I did the same cruising events. I put that same effort into a driveable v8 and went 7.77 at 186. Does it make the v8 better...no it doesn't but it's capable of way more if the owner wants the capability.

Dusty you are doing a great Job taking the thread off task. What does this have to do with disassembling a Turbo Buick and installing an LS engine? Then continuing to hang around the Buick forums trying to convince others its the right thing to do.

When have you ever saw me encouraging anyone on here to take the v6 out and install an LS engine.....never. Will I support someone who chooses to do so if they want....yes I will. There is 1 section on this site dedicated to v8 engine swaps. The other numerous sections are for v6 stuff. If it gives you heartburn to read through those posts i'd just steer clear of that section which is clearly labeled.

With all this babel about what is faster, cheaper, more reliable, Etc... Why don't we merge one of the Buick events with the LS guy's just like in Noble against the mustangs and see how that turns out? ;)

I am with all the guy's in favor for the LS engine! I have driven in stock ones, I have driven in modded ones, and I have seen their potential and it is the Next engine going in our next Buick project!

Scot W.

v6's.........v8's... :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 242
How many people build and tune a buick v6 that will reliably go 8's? A handful. How many people can do the same with an lsx, sbc, bbc? Hundreds. Competition drives down price.

I can find 10 people within a couple hours drive that can do the lsx, bbc, sbc. I'm not sure how far I would have to drive to find someone that can do the same with a v6. Chris did give some insight into what it takes to build an 8 sec capable v6, but there seems to be a lot of builders that don't want to give out the secrets for an 800+ hp v6. Understandably so because it has cost them time and money to make the mistakes that got them to a good combination. But the lsx builders aren't quite so tight lipped about something that low on their power scale because it's not difficult. They save their secrets for the 2000hp builds.

This thread is great! Popcorn is now out because the original topic is in the dust... Can a mod re-label this LC2 vs LSx? Haha

Dan

Really ur the one who brought it here!! Unlike u i am willing to back up the bs. Bring it on!!

OK so here is what we will do, we have a dyno we can use any time. As soon as Kurt Urban gets Ted A's LSX motor done I will take that challange, We will use a T6 Pro Mod 88, sound good?
Really mike who do u think ur talking to lol!!!
I will go as big as a pte 4788 billet wheel which will be close and i will completely kick his ass with any std size 76

There are sections of this board that I enjoy less than others, I don't click into them.
I have never felt the need to discourage someone else from liking them.
Turbo V8 discussion will continue in it's own section and in the lounge where it is appropriate.

The other numerous sections are for v6 stuff. If it gives you heartburn to read through those posts i'd just steer clear of that section which is clearly labeled.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!! I dont go in the V-8 or conversion section.

With all this babel about what is faster, cheaper, more reliable, Etc... Why don't we merge one of the Buick events with the LS guy's just like in Noble against the mustangs and see how that turns out? ;)

I am with all the guy's in favor for the LS engine! I have driven in stock ones, I have driven in modded ones, and I have seen their potential and it is the Next engine going in our next Buick project!

Scot W.

Scott nothing you post surprises me. Nor interest me.

BTW: Just telling someone that a V8 swap is the answer for every
situation is ridiculous. However for some cases it makes a lot of sense.

We bought one of Bob Rieger's Duttweiler SBCs in 2003ish.
It made 1850ish HP back then with boost in the 20s and conservative timing.
It accidentally over boosted over 40 psi and never hurt anything in the short block.
This same motor was raced very hard and won an NMCA Championship. The long block was 15k...
The same motor will be debuting in a 25.2 Outlaw 10.5 4th Gen Camaro this year.

Jason is a good friend and he has set the bar for v6 performance and reliability. He has beat on that motor for years. He drives it on long cruises and beats on v8's at the local events. Still it's not a daily driver just like my car wasn't when I did the same cruising events. I put that same effort into a driveable v8 and went 7.77 at 186. Does it make the v8 better...no it doesn't but it's capable of way more if the owner wants the capability.

What is your point then? What makes his car so unstreetable? I can tell you this it isnt the motor!! I did much of the same thing with my TSO car on a regular basis. As a matter of fact the new owner had it at a local cruise in Detroit this weekend. Maybe Ted A, Mike or the Bamford's saw it?

How many people build and tune a buick v6 that will reliably go 8's? A handful. How many people can do the same with an lsx, sbc, bbc? Hundreds. Competition drives down price.

I can find 10 people within a couple hours drive that can do the lsx, bbc, sbc. I'm not sure how far I would have to drive to find someone that can do the same with a v6. Chris did give some insight into what it takes to build an 8 sec capable v6, but there seems to be a lot of builders that don't want to give out the secrets for an 800+ hp v6. Understandably so because it has cost them time and money to make the mistakes that got them to a good combination. But the lsx builders aren't quite so tight lipped about something that low on their power scale because it's not difficult. They save their secrets for the 2000hp builds.

I dont know why the Buick crowd is so tight lipped and things are the way they are. I am willing to share thoughts and idea to make this more exciting for all who are interested in running a Buick V6 for what it is worth. I think that is what this whole thread is about and I think helping others to be successful will promote Buick racing for sometime to come, which is obviously something I hold near and dear.

Really ur the one who brought it here!! Unlike u i am willing to back up the bs. Bring it on!!

I don't feel I brought it here personally but sure ill take the credit! Haha What do I have to back up? I own a turbo buick the only LSx I own is a 300,000 mile 5.3 truck that's been beat its whole life and still runs like new... I don't yet own a turbo lsx but at the same time im not blind to the idea of technology... when buick brings out a new turbo v6 based on he lsx platform the gn will be getting a new heart. If I wanted to be an underdog I would have stayed hot air, or should I be scolded for that too?

Dan

BTW: Just telling someone that a V8 swap is the answer for every
situation is ridiculous. However for some cases it makes a lot of sense.

We bought one of Bob Rieger's Duttweiler SBCs in 2003ish.
It made 1850ish HP back then with boost in the 20s and conservative timing.
It accidentally over boosted over 40 psi and never hurt anything in the short block.
This same motor was raced very hard and won an NMCA Championship. The long block was 15k...
The same motor will be debuting in a 25.2 Outlaw 10.5 4th Gen Camaro this year.

John,
I'm not trying to compare unlimited power potential. Once you get over a certain power level the V6 will start to suffer and fall behind. We are obviously not talking about 99% of the people out there and even in the 1000 to 1200 HP range I still believe the V6 has the advantage and I am willing to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.