Talkin' bout Pitbulls : Should this dog have been put down?

Should Spike have been put down?

• Yes

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted no. The story said the Pekingese slipped out of its collar...which means the dog was not restrained properly on a public park. Spice reacted like most any other dog would if it felt threatened. This could have happened to any other dog but because it was a pit mix then I guess it's ok to put it down.:rolleyes:

My friend has 2 Siberian Huskies. So far they've killed the neighbors cat and attacked a small dog at the park. Otherwise they're great dogs towards people. He ended up paying for both the owners' vet bills and that was it. Not one mention about trying to put his dog downs. Had he owned Pits instead of Huskies you can bet it would've been a different story.

Ignorance = fear

No. The pit was leashed and only did what came natural to it. There is not enough info about the other 2 bites that occurred. If they resulted as a result of them trying to get the dog to release then they are still within the pit bulls natural reaction. The pit did what it does naturally. If the pit had released the dog it bit and then turned on the other humans that were trying to intervene then it should be put down. Any unnatural aggression at any time from a dog toward a human is unacceptable unless the dog is a police K9 that has been trained to be aggressive and attack on command.

In this incident, put it down. It would have been different if it had only harmed the dog but it bit not one, but two people. The dog was a rescue and the owner had no idea about it's past history. It may have had a history of this type aggression before but that is unknown. The author states that the dog played with his dogs which does show that the dog could be sociable so that, in my opinion, takes the argument away that the dog was just acting naturally. The peke is a small breed dog. The pit, in this case, although maybe irritated but definitely not afraid, was basically just a bully. It would have done the same with a kitten or any other animal that piqued it's intrest.

Speaking of acting naturally, the grandmother and the child were only trying to save their beloved dog. Did they deserve to get bitten for doing that? No. Should they have known better? Sure. But they were acting on emotion, not rationality. I wonder if the pit's owner had really tried to save the dog would she have been bitten too? Or was she smart enough to know not to trust the dog?

Bottom line is that it was the owners fault but once it is proven that a "pet" dog will harm humans then it should not be given another chance. The pit's owner took a dog that had an unknown history and of a mix with a well reputed agressive breed into a place where the animal would have contact with other animals and people simply to show off how "special" she was to have rescued such an animal. The dog should not have been there. I feel the same way about owners who bring their pets to human events such as street fairs and outdoor concerts. Pets do not belong there. Leave them at home because if they attack a member of my family they will be lucky to live long enough to make it to the pound.

Stupidity = lawsuit

I have to disagree with you. The story clearly states that the owner and another passer by tried to rescue the rabbid Peke without incident between Spike and themselves. Spike was completely in a defensive mode. The owner of the out of control Peke were completely 100% at fault for the entire incident. Spike had clearly demonstrated the ability to play peacefully with others (animals). Spike was put down not for what he did but for what he was.

Would you feel differently if Spike was a 100% pure Dalmation that his owner raised from a pup?

)Would you feel differently if Spike was a 100% pure Dalmation that his owner raised from a pup?
Nope,Don't care what kind of dog it is,If it HAS shown that sort of aggresion to a human,Its too dangerous to no put it down.
Its not worth the Law suit alone.

Wow, I am on the fence with this one. But, the other dog basically "drew first blood" by aggressivly threatening the pit mix, no matter what breed it was. Then the pit went into defence mode. I'll leave the antifreeze bottle capped for this one;)

I realize the dog may have been defending itself and owners BUT its obvius the dog cannot tell the difference in this situation of what is an actual attack.

Did you read the same article I did? :confused:

The dog had been rescued from a life of abuse, neglect, etc. How is it to know when or when it is not being "attacked"? People seem to forget that dogs can't talk, they have no hands, they can't shoosh someone away. All they can do is growl and/or bite.

If the dog was on his leash and properly restrained and another dog came up to it in an aggressive manor then it deserves what it got. Trying to get in the middle of a dog fight is another spot that it's probably not a good idea to get into. Someone is bound to get bitten.

While I do not think that the dog should have been euthanized, I think the owner should have considered relocating to a more suitable area.

I know I cannot walk my dogs around with other loose dogs or there will be a fight. I can only release them on neutral ground (ie: dog parks) or in their fenced and secured yard. Owners need to have some common sense.

Here is my next dog...errr pet. I'll be rolling down the highway in the Buick with the windows down and my pet 'Frekkles' hanging his head out of the window.

NigeriaHyenaPet1.jpg

Yes that really is a Hyena.

Wow! Surprised at how close this is.

I can appreciate everyones compassion for this breed of dog but is there any denying that it reacts aggressively by instinct and is a dangerous dog? I would tell you to talk to the guy 10 miles away from my house who had two pits, but they found his half eaten carcass a week after his pits attacked him (he lived alone).

- Sheep dogs have a herding instinct. You must watch them or they will try to herd your kids...no joke!

- Pointers by instinct point at prey

- Pit bulls or bull terriers were purpose bread for baiting bulls and dog fighting. There instinct is to be aggressive

I cringe when I see someone with kids or a thug that has this dog to try and look hard.

So, for the folks that own these inherently dangerous dogs, please understand that you have a responsibility to secure the dog properly and to not subject it to situations that could prompt the dog to attack anyone or anything.

One last thing, you also have a financially responsible for the consequences of owning this dog...so make sure you buy home owners insurance with adequate liability limits. I know if one of these dogs attacks and severly injures me or a family member, expect a LARGE law suit!

Be responsible!

2nd post...I bet this one will make me plenty of friends!

I can appreciate everyones compassion for this breed of dog but is there any denying that it reacts aggressively by instinct and is a dangerous dog? I would tell you to talk to the guy 10 miles away from my house who had two pits, but they found his half eaten carcass a week after his pits attacked him (he lived alone).

- Sheep dogs have a herding instinct. You must watch them or they will try to herd your kids...no joke!

- Pointers by instinct point at prey

- Pit bulls or bull terriers were purpose bread for baiting bulls and dog fighting. There instinct is to be aggressive

I cringe when I see someone with kids or a thug that has this dog to try and look hard.

So, for the folks that own these inherently dangerous dogs, please understand that you have a responsibility to secure the dog properly and to not subject it to situations that could prompt the dog to attack anyone or anything.

One last thing, you also have a financially responsible for the consequences of owning this dog...so make sure you buy home owners insurance with adequate liability limits. I know if one of these dogs attacks and severly injures me or a family member, expect a LARGE law suit!

Be responsible!

2nd post...I bet this one will make me plenty of friends!
Normal luck will have it that the guy with the dog that gets you doesnt even have insurance or anything of value.
I with you on this 100%

I'm not a big of pits, bit in this case I would have to say that this dog was not at fault. I do however feel that the owner let the love for her pet get in the way of seeing the potential of what could happen in a situation like this. By owning one of these dogs you put yourself in a situation where you should take more care as to prevent being pit into a situation like this simply because of the reputation that these animals have. I do feel that if the dog had been of a different breed that the outcome of the ruling would have been different.

When I was around nine and my youger brother was either four or five we some people in our neighborhood that owned a pit. They were renting a house and had just moved in. I remember seeing the dog once or twice and my mom told us to stay away from it. The owners let it run free, one day it came in our yard and attacked my brother, it bit his arm and drug him for through the yard until the owner came running after him. My dad found out and I never saw the dog again. That dog needed to be put down, probably along with the owners.

I'm not a fan of them either. They are to small for my tastes but then my dogs have all lived outdoors. If I was going to keep an insider then I'd get out the 100lb+ dog market.

I voted no to my surprise.

Animals are animals and have to be respected as animals. When you spook them they behave like animals and get defensive. It is their instinct, you have to pay attention around them all.

I am not a fan of pits but an experience with one has softened my opinion some. The lady who keeps my daughters horse has a Lab, Bull Mastiff, Maltese and a pure red Pit. They are all incredibly sweet dogs interacting well together and they all love people. We have been going there 2-3 times a week for over a year now and have never witnessed any incidents between them, people or the horses. They greet you as you arrive on the property, never bark and hang out with you the whole time you're there, I trust them all around my kids now. The pit will growl and snap only if the other dogs try to take her food. You, can walk up and take her food but not the other dogs. But, she was raised with them all. My daughter's horse, "Mick" is mischevious (opens his own stall and turn on the lights in the barn) and likes to tease. He statled the pit once, sneaking up behind her and nipping her on the butt. She turned and snapped but Mick just chased her around the field until she hid under a truck.

The people on the next property have a Chatahoula to round up their horses and every once in a while it will come over and try to herd our horse and the others this lady owns but they just team up and end up chasing her instead.
It is comical to watch.

Mikey

I think the owner of Spice needed to be held accountable also. I have 2 Boxers that I've taken to the dog park. On more than 1 occasion another dog will come up to my male & "size him up", there's a certain look in there eyes or a stance that they take that tells me that there's trouble brewing. I quickly go & try to diffuse the situation. Haven't had any fights because I 'm always aware of what's going on with my dogs. Not saying that they haven't come close but to this day no dog fights.
I was walking my dogs around the block (both on leashes of course) when a neighbor (don't know him) comes around the corner with a small yappy dog who immediately starts making all kinds of noise towards my dogs. I take my dogs across the street to avoid any incidents. At this point I'm already past him when I look back & see that his dog is dragging his leash behind him running full speed at my dogs with the owner chasing him. Little dog bit my male ( didn't even break the skin) I kept the dog away with my foot while trying to control my dogs. Luckily I only had to do this dance for a few seconds. Owner came grabbed his dog apologized & went on his way.

A friend of mine has two pits. I've met one of them and he is very friendly. He is not the short stocky mean looking type- he is taller and thinner. He doesn't have the muscular jaw that some of them have. I don't think he would hurt anyone, but I read a book on them and they are naturally agressive towards smaller dogs/animals. They come in all shapes and sizes and colors. The dog and I wrestled, and when I got a little rough (like when I got him in a head lock) he would wimper. He was the eventual winner as he wore me out! Maybe the owner should have been put down for bringing the dog to a park where problems could occur. I would have a hard time defending a pitbull or any dog that attacked two people and killed a small dog, even though that is what they were bred for and "it wasn't the dog's fault".