State of the Buick Community: What to keep it from dying? Please check it out???

The post that Jim Rogers made dissappered. That not good IMO. I was typing a reply hit post, mine dissappered and when I refreshed his was gone. WTF? FYI for Jim I am more of a Van Winkle guy hope that when we cross paths that works for you.
Mike

Dave, he had what was post #93 made this AM

Cool....I am not crazy then..well sort of not crazy. I saw that post too. I wonder why he deleted it?

I'm a little confused. Earlier in this post you berated index racing. But this last sentance sounds amazing like indexing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You have me confused with somebody else. I have not posted in this entire thread.

Side note.. the main difference between this and just index racing is two fold. One is that running the class I propose its an average. So you run 12.80, 13.20, 13.00 you have a 13.0 average. On index the 12.80 would knock you out. This class to runs 8 second cars with 13 second cars.. your racing for your average. Not reaction time(excellent for turbo cars). This may not be the end all.. just stealing an idea from another racing organiztion and since it works for them... apply it to our cars. When you get a lot of cars of different potential.. thats what you get.

In the end you get to drive your car around town on a cruise, then race it at a track. Its a win win. This allows racers to run their car without the fear of tearing up hundreds of miles from home. This is where Heads Up racing has the issue as it pushes into that got to break it to make the number scenario. Not something you may want to do hundreds of miles away from home.

http://www.nmradigital.com/rules/docs/2M TRUE STREET 2011 Final.pdf

Those are the rules they use. Very simple to adapt to Buicks.

Bracket racing allows 1 winner. And really no glory. This class allows multiple winners and some glory.. altho the majority of that glory goes to the faster cars(as always anyways) it keeps participants coming year after year and improving their setups. In the end its a street car class that doesnt care what turbo/converter/displacement/AC-nonAC/ etc.. Everyone is welcome.

Vs 2 index classes that dont show a cars street worthyness. Difference between race cars and street cars. I didnt make this class all of a sudden, its been very successful with another car make. Cant see why it wouldnt be here.

And if you turn the boost down.. make the car "safe".. your still competitive.. as you can still win something, participate, and mingle with other non-race cars.

Julio

You have me confused with somebody else. I have not posted in this entire thread.

Side note.. the main difference between this and just index racing is two fold. One is that running the class I propose its an average. So you run 12.80, 13.20, 13.00 you have a 13.0 average. On index the 12.80 would knock you out. This class to runs 8 second cars with 13 second cars.. your racing for your average. Not reaction time(excellent for turbo cars). This may not be the end all.. just stealing an idea from another racing organiztion and since it works for them... apply it to our cars. When you get a lot of cars of different potential.. thats what you get.

In the end you get to drive your car around town on a cruise, then race it at a track. Its a win win. This allows racers to run their car without the fear of tearing up hundreds of miles from home. This is where Heads Up racing has the issue as it pushes into that got to break it to make the number scenario. Not something you may want to do hundreds of miles away from home.

http://www.nmradigital.com/rules/docs/2M TRUE STREET 2011 Final.pdf

Those are the rules they use. Very simple to adapt to Buicks.

Bracket racing allows 1 winner. And really no glory. This class allows multiple winners and some glory.. altho the majority of that glory goes to the faster cars(as always anyways) it keeps participants coming year after year and improving their setups. In the end its a street car class that doesnt care what turbo/converter/displacement/AC-nonAC/ etc.. Everyone is welcome.

Vs 2 index classes that dont show a cars street worthyness. Difference between race cars and street cars. I didnt make this class all of a sudden, its been very successful with another car make. Cant see why it wouldnt be here.

And if you turn the boost down.. make the car "safe".. your still competitive.. as you can still win something, participate, and mingle with other non-race cars.

Julio

I was replying to your post # 94 in this thread.:eek:

Those are some very interesting rules though. :cool:

I am up for trying anything. Right now I want to race ths heads up. I have spent my whole summer trying tonchase down the fast cars of the class and am still behind. Its like a challenge to me to get there without spending big money. I am getting close though. But forcing my car to a 10.5 index would make all that effort I have put in this summer (changing 5 converters, wearing out 2 sets of tires, going to the track every week, changing fuels and tunes like underwear, trying new set ups, etc) go to waste in my opinion. I am sure some of the tsm and tso guys are the same.

Btw....what happened tiretoters post? I was reading it on my phone, got a call, then my phone went to reload the page and it was gone.please tell me I am not going crazy lol

See Kevin that is where the index race will help you. How much money, parts, and labor did you spend in the highlighted statement?? Probably cant exactly put a price on it. You sig. states your running 10.20. WHat I am suggesting is turn the car down a little, not try and kill it all the time, you still have a heads-up / pro-tree racing environment that doesnt matter that your 4 tenths off the fastest car in the class. You would still have tons of fun running an index class and guess what, more than likely wont have to break out the jack stand and lay on the cold concrete trying to pull a converter out to swap tp another to see if you can pick up a few hundreths. With the state of the economy and racers having to forfeit racing do to astronomical costs imagine what you can save dollar wise by only having to spend money on oil changes and running the car turned down with a safe, reliable tune and not trying to kill it at an event, only to get home and have to spend more $$$ trying to be competitive.

In this current Buick economic state I dont care what kind of purse you throw out at something, your not going to get the cars to show, just ask the BPG and us here in NC. One of the reasons in my mind is cost issue of taking a car that might run low 10's consistantly and fearing that it make break all to hell and have to replace it, 2nd not wanting to run other classes, in my case THS, WIth my current setup I MIGHT could get a low-mid 10 out of it at best, but to be competitive I would have to spend $$$ on turbo, suspension, etc.. If there was a class lets say 11.49, I can still enjoy all the benefits of runnin heads up / pro tree as you do now in THS but then the safety factor of knowing that I can pull the boost and timing back and being able to "enjoy" running 11.49 all day long and drive the car back to the house and for me means, no diesel for tow rig and trailer. To me, Index is a very economical way for the die hard racer to have fun and also be competitive...

See Kevin that is where the index race will help you. How much money, parts, and labor did you spend in the highlighted statement?? Probably cant exactly put a price on it. You sig. states your running 10.20. WHat I am suggesting is turn the car down a little, not try and kill it all the time, you still have a heads-up / pro-tree racing environment that doesnt matter that your 4 tenths off the fastest car in the class. You would still have tons of fun running an index class and guess what, more than likely wont have to break out the jack stand and lay on the cold concrete trying to pull a converter out to swap tp another to see if you can pick up a few hundreths. With the state of the economy and racers having to forfeit racing do to astronomical costs imagine what you can save dollar wise by only having to spend money on oil changes and running the car turned down with a safe, reliable tune and not trying to kill it at an event, only to get home and have to spend more $$$ trying to be competitive.

In this current Buick economic state I dont care what kind of purse you throw out at something, your not going to get the cars to show, just ask the BPG and us here in NC. One of the reasons in my mind is cost issue of taking a car that might run low 10's consistantly and fearing that it make break all to hell and have to replace it, 2nd not wanting to run other classes, in my case THS, WIth my current setup I MIGHT could get a low-mid 10 out of it at best, but to be competitive I would have to spend $$$ on turbo, suspension, etc.. If there was a class lets say 11.49, I can still enjoy all the benefits of runnin heads up / pro tree as you do now in THS but then the safety factor of knowing that I can pull the boost and timing back and being able to "enjoy" running 11.49 all day long and drive the car back to the house and for me means, no diesel for tow rig and trailer. To me, Index is a very economical way for the die hard racer to have fun and also be competitive...

Exactly! Even though I caught hell for talking up index racing, I think a lot of guys have been used to running "class" racing for so many years, and pushing the guts out of their car trying to catch somebody else's level, they may have never run index'd or forgot what it was like to tune a car to run a number (WITHOUT THE AID OF TIMING BOXES) without having to run the guts out of your car pushing it hard enough to break parts on virtually every outing.
Ya, maybe I'm not running mid 11's anymore, but I'm also not breaking parts, or buying race gas and tires.

Well it's just a good dang gone thing that we are running BOTH at the 2012 TurboBuick.com Nationals!

:cool::biggrin:

Kevin I totally agree. Of all the "T" classes out there THS is the largest attended by far as of late, 17 cars alone for BG last year. Wasn't a problem getting a sponsor for it in NC as it was one of the first classes taken by sponsors. Another reason why THS is so popular IMHO is the fact that the 4 fastest cars in the class are less than like five hundrethes of a second away from one another and no single car has stood out as a dominating factor. And as the class stays that way it will continue to have the most racers in it.

I know you personally don't care for index racing, don't know even if you have tried it or even care to give it a shot. To me here is the best setup for a race event at a 1/4 mile track. The reason is to get spectators back in the stands and interested in "side by side" racing. Without spectators to support it the racers wont have any track to race at anyway:

Heads up / .4 pro tree / pro ladder
---------------------------------------------------
Quick 8 (Buick bodied or Buick powered anything goes run what you brung)
Index 1 8.50 (TSO / TSL)
Index 2 9.50 (TSM)
Index 3 10.50 (THS)
Index 4 11.50 (whoever wants to give index racing a try)

regular tree----------------
Bracket 1 (0-11.49)
Bracket 2 (11.50 - up)

To me this represents the future for the Buick community to continue to draw a crowd and for the budget minded racer not wanting to have to try and get his 67 turbo and car into the 9's. Not to mention it it would be TONS easier on parts and still make for an exciting time with great side by side racing for the fans.

I totally agree.

I used to hate index racing. But when you think about, especially with a turbo car, there are alot of adjustments available. The key is to get your program together and put yourself in the position to be the fastest in your index. Being the best at the tree sweetens the deal. That's why I think it evens the playing field to have a pro tree: most of us aren't used to it (just like Armdrop). Here is my suggestion: get Rich Christensen involved. Make the big geography and club pissing contest resolved, call Rich.

Great input guys, I thought starting this thread would have 0 replies but it triggered something that obviously has been on many peoples minds for years. Food for thought below:

1. Saturation of events. I would love to have a meeting of the minds and have 2 events in the year for Buicks. Spring and fall. Stick it at two tracks centrally. I know people from my area complain NC is 1/8th mile but cost is a factor . Zmax is 18k a day. BG and Columbus are both up there as well, it is just not cheap. BG was great for having Tues-Sat racing but cost is just too high nowadays to justify this spending. Make it 3 days. Thurs to Sat and done. Will take a lot to get people to meet up and really put their effort behind 2 events and leave the others behind. Sad to say but this is what it has to be.
2. Central Location- BG, Norwalk, Memphis, Bristol. I vote Norwalk b/c they are the #1 track in the Nation. All the big events and every major manufacturer has an event there. Plus Ohio and Michigan are the top 2 states in the US for car events. I can go to shows cruises and racing 7 days a week from May to October and 8 tracks within 3 hour range, nobody is even close.
3. 24/7 Action- Drag Racing, Auto Cross, Dyno, Car Show, Vendor demonstrations, etc. Constant action i have noticed with radio playing or announcements gets people excited. Nobody wants to sit in lawnchairs all day to stare at parked cars. Gotta keep people interested, keep em excited so they can continue to look forward to the event.
4. Marketing- I hammered Facebook and other sites this year and i dare say with Jim Chaudrue and myself, we promoted a Buick event more so than any other Buick event period. I added people and searched for people who owned TRs or GS to make them get excited about attending and sure quite a few did not attend for various reasons but they knew about the event.
5. Bridge the gap between TR and GS owners- Quite a few own both. Still have the separation. Tom from Champion thought the BPG was only a v8 club. Have to cater to both crowds to keep them happy and dont sure preference over one another. i love both of them equally and besides they both were under-rated for their times so they both deserve equal share of the limelight now.
6. Events with less restrictions- Index classes give everyone a fair shot and cut down on the amount of bickering and anger over tech rules and conforming cars to one class and disputes. Set up a few heads up index classes, a few brackets a quick 8 and make it buick powered or buick bodied. I would love to see will's v8 gs and dusty and louis l and josh white and others bring their cars out. put a damn buick bodied vs buick powered outlaw class together or run them in a king of the track shootout final
7. Vendors/Sponsors- Lots of issue on this post and others about payouts. Many small vendors are on tight incomes to support events. Every dollar is appreciated. Same thing though we may have to look at using other brands to bring in more spectators to bring in gate revenue and other sponsors for their cars to bring more $$ to the table. Tight line though b/c look at Bristol they were Buick oriented did well then went BOP and it sputtered. Thin line in that regard.

Just some thoughts keep the input coming!

I hope all this talk is followed up with some action. These are great ideas and exactly what needs to happen - now we just have to get together and implement a plan. You are absolutely correct on each and every point above although I don't know that one big mega event might not be the place to start. I can already sense some resistance from some folks on giving up their preferred event though. Nobody wants to give theirs up but if we maintain that course of action I'm afraid the end is near. :(

Memphis has a good central geographic location but it's out in the ghetto. Columbus is spread out as well. Norwalk is great but I think keeping the location central geographically is the best way to pull in the most cars from surrounding states. BG has the best overall setup like Dusty mentioned. I totally agree at keeping it a Thurs - Sat 3 day event to keep cost down. Obviously, the easiest thing to do would be to implement these things at the existing GSCA event in BG but I would be surprised if they would put it in the hands of the people. I don't think it would hurt to contact Richard L and ask. If he doesn't want to go along with it fine - a competing event could be held at the same facility run in superior fashion the way WE THE PEOPLE/ RACERS want and see who prevails.

Open up the events to other cars. I think we could round up enough turbo V8 cars to put on a pretty good show as we have several right here in this community that currently have no place to race as far as Buick events go. I've never understood why the Turbo V8 guys are treated like outcasts. The purists and VIN sniffers need to get over themselves or get lost IMO.

Payouts are nice but they are not what's going to bring most people out. I think this has been proven. Anyone who's racing for payouts alone needs to seriously reconsider why they are racing anyway.

And let me reiterate what I've said before - FEWER CLASSES, INDEXES (on some classes), SIMPLE RULES, NO SEGREGATION.

As long as the GS Nats is at Beech Bend, youre not going to get a date there for a competing race. Course, who knows how much longer the Nats will go on.............

Good info here.. I wish there was a 1/4 mile track closer to Burlington for the TB.Com event but Rockingham is the closest one and its not within driving distance.

The only complaints I have with the BPG race is it is always 150 deg in the shade and the track doesn't have much going for it for a spectator or a show car . Just can't beat Bowling Green, trees, grass , stands that you can see a car when it goes down the track not just a roof over the wall 300 ft away . The guys that put it on put a lot of work in to make it a good event and I had a good time . It was something to see the GSX turn out last year and the TA,s this year .

I think some of the preaching is to the choir . We are at the events already the ones missing are for the most part the guys that don't post on boards . How can they be coaxed out ? What would they like to see to make it worth them spending $500 at the least to come to an event ? I have always thought a car show section for all makes maybe with a local car club ? Get more locals to the event ?

As long as the GS Nats is at Beech Bend, youre not going to get a date there for a competing race. Course, who knows how much longer the Nats will go on.............

Good info here.. I wish there was a 1/4 mile track closer to Burlington for the TB.Com event but Rockingham is the closest one and its not within driving distance.

I don't see why not. As long as Dallas Jones gets paid I don't think he would care. Of course you are right about the future of the Nats or lack thereof........

We need the planning and implementation that goes into the NC event in a more central location. Nothing wrong with NC or 1/8th mile for that matter - it's just all the way over on the east coast and I think that will always work against it. JMO

The only complaints I have with the BPG race is it is always 150 deg in the shade and the track doesn't have much going for it for a spectator or a show car . Just can't beat Bowling Green, trees, grass , stands that you can see a car when it goes down the track not just a roof over the wall 300 ft away . The guys that put it on put a lot of work in to make it a good event and I had a good time . It was something to see the GSX turn out last year and the TA,s this year .

I think some of the preaching is to the choir . We are at the events already the ones missing are for the most part the guys that don't post on boards . How can they be coaxed out ? What would they like to see to make it worth them spending $500 at the least to come to an event ? I have always thought a car show section for all makes maybe with a local car club ? Get more locals to the event ?

You may be right about preaching to the choir. We need to obtain the GSCAs mailing list or something........:biggrin:

We need the planning and implementation that goes into the NC event in a more central location. Nothing wrong with NC or 1/8th mile for that matter - it's just all the way over on the east coast and I think that will always work against it. JMO

Will that is what Tony and I are talking about is to find a more centrally located place for an even IF NC grows beyond what the 1/8th mile can hold. The reason for that is to get more west cost participation... Geographically wise on a map seems as if Kansas and Missouri are the most "centrally" located in the US however I dont know if there are even any decent tracks out there... Also I agree that BG itself would be the best place but it might be too cost prohibitive to make any money.. You never know tho. May end up being "Buicks at BG" one day.;)

As long as I, and probably Mr. Clark, draw breath and are able there is going to be an event in NC... Half or more of the experience is going to his shop and enjoying the uniqueness there that isn't going to be found ANYWHERE ELSE in the WORLD...

I will be more than glad to sponsor ANOTHER event in a more central location, I agree that would be a WONDERFUL idea... However the TB.com Nats sponsored by ZDDP will continue to happen in NC:wink:

I dont mean any disrespect to any of the TB.com event promotors and I do think its a well planned event. I appreciate and respect everyones passion for their particular events but there is the problem with this entire discussion - no one will want to give up their event therefore we will always have competing events with marginal attendance. This is JMO of course.

Is briskly too expensive? I would drive 20 hours to race there. I am sure I am not the only one.

The event at Richards shop is an entirely different event from the Nats we all got used to. It's IMO one of a kind and anyone who attends gets so much more out of it than other events offer. It's amazing what you can learn just from walking around the shop looking at the tools and watching everything going on. The racing is a bonus.

As for BG. It's the best place in the country to hold a race. The stands, the layout, the town....it's pretty much perfect. People don't attend because of the GSCA. We all know most would rather someone else put it on but we all go anyway because it is "Bowling Green". I could see a competing event steal it's thunder.