State of the Buick Community: What to keep it from dying? Please check it out???

I've been on the recieving end of everything mentioned here back when I raced TSS. As a matter of fact it only motivated me to beat them at their own game and I have the trophies to show for it:D The last time I raced in a class I remember thinking I was robbed at the gate by the time all the "fees" were paid just to be able to race. My last experience there as a racer wasn't bad at all. Ron Joseph was a big help getting my V8 car into the event and making exibition passes but the treatment from the diehards was not expected. Maybe they didn't like a car that looked like it ran 11.50's going 8.30's and driving to dinner. It's this close minded thinking that has kept the event from progressing.

Your comment about the closed minded thinking is right on target. The diehards and purists are the reason my LS powered GS will more than likely never grace that particular event. I remember the year Conley had his Camaro there someone slipped a dime in one of the turbos. You can imagine what happened next.

Well, Im glad if nothing else some people agree with me. I know I come off like an ******* and thats fine. Ive been involved with these cars for more than half my life. Ive earned the right. I care about the community tho and will do what I can, I just have little tolerance for ignorance and people who just dont "get it." Its why I let Shane deal with the people and I just do the tech stuff. Anybody that knows me off the board knows that Im not much different in real life. Ill give you the shirt off my back but if I'll tell you what I think about it the whole time. LOL

It would be nice to do a mega event. It can be done.. there's enough cars left to do it, especially if it was promoted right. GSCA wasnt Internet savvy so they lost a lot of car count like that. Twitter page, Facebook page.. you could do a lot to promote an event online.

I'll agree with everything you said - including the part about you coming off like an a**.:biggrin: I've been around as long or longer and I "get" everything you're saying as you have spoken the truth 100%. I've always chosen to stay out of the drama and politics of things. There's no way to make everyone happy. I just wish we could but the bitterness and egos behind us and use the lessons learned from past mistakes and mistreatments by others (GSCA) and put on one good mega event. It's just time for us to stop complaining and saying things will never change - it's time to DO SOMETHING about it or at least try.

If Beech Bend won't support a seperate buick event the next logical central location is Memphis. I drove by it yesterday on my way home and it's looking good again. It's a top notch facility with no major events planned yet. I'm sure they would love to sign a big event for cheap. The only real downside vs. Bowling green are hotels. There are only a couple hotels close by in Millington and the next closest hotels are in a questionable part of Memphis. It's closer for the guys out west, but a few hours further for the northern members.

Geographically you can't beat Memphis but the problem would be the hotels and such like you mentioned. The facility will be top notch when it reopens later this month.

The end of the equation you guys are forgetting is renting the track. Every single event I know that has tried to have a mega event at a nice track has ended up losing their shirt because of track rental fees. The nice tracks charge a LOT. The first TB Nats, when I actually had some input, we looked at ZMax and they wanted something crazy like 40 thousand a day or something. I dont remember exactly what it was but it was so far outside the realm of reality for us it wasnt feasible. If you cant break even on 200 cars at $25 a head or so to race, you dont have any business renting that track.

When your car count goes way up, people dont get to make passes and get pissed. That was a problem in BG too in its heydey.

Nice tracks cost a lot.

I remember those days in BG. Cost is definitely a factor but I think people could get over the cost if they were getting their money's worth for a well run, well planned event.

I was actually standing right there when they found the dime. Wasnt me, tho.. promise.

I just dont think we can get the car count to go to one of the fancy tracks without it costing $100 a person.

And honestly, Will, if you havent been involved in the politics (And trust me, I try to stay out of it too) then you have NO idea the amount of shenanigans thats been pulled. Remember the theft of what, 1997? Guess who got blamed for that? Me and Keith Blythe. Anyone who knows Keith Blythe knows there is not a dishonest bone in that man's body. But thanks to a bunch of anonymous letters mailed from around the Valdosta area, guess who got blamed? Funny how it all stopped when Jim Haas confronted a certain person at a car show.

Only saving grace for me was I was 70 miles away ALL NIGHT with several other Buick guys trying to put a set of heads on Nelson's car so we could come back and race the next day. We didnt leave the shop we were working out of until the sun was coming up.

Like I said.. you guys have NO idea. If you did, you'd understand why I have the attitude I do.

Like I said Jay, you've been right on track 100% with everything you've said. I understand your attitude completely. I don't know all of the shenanigans that have gone on but I do know enough. I've never heard that one about you being accused of stealing. WOW.

You and I are both old timers in the grand scheme of things - you have just been more vocal than me over the years. I have been a member of the GSCA since back in the mid-80s (only a few years after it was formed) but I seriously doubt Richard even knows that or even knows my name for that matter. I don't care about the GSCA or it's future one iota. They are closed minded and their antiquated ways of doing things have caught up to them. It's run like a dictatorship and I've always questioned why we don't vote on our "president" if it's truly a club. That bi-monthly news letter is a joke - same crap they've been printing for years with all of their "performance recipes". I'm waiting on an article on how to set your TPS sensor. I do wish they would turn over a new leaf but I know they more than likely won't. I think someone should try just to say they did and then we can move on.

Bottom line with me is that I don't care WHO puts on the mega event we all want - I just want to see it done. All I've been trying to say is that it would be ideal to have it in BG if possible.

If Beech Bend won't support a seperate buick event the next logical central location is Memphis. I drove by it yesterday on my way home and it's looking good again. It's a top notch facility with no major events planned yet. I'm sure they would love to sign a big event for cheap. The only real downside vs. Bowling green are hotels. There are only a couple hotels close by in Millington and the next closest hotels are in a questionable part of Memphis. It's closer for the guys out west, but a few hours further for the northern members.

Memphis is a great track and I love racing there but it's not for the Buick crowd if they plan to drag the cars back to the hotel on trailers or drive the cars. It's a high theft area and there's no way I'd park a GN outside of a hotel anywhere near Memphis. The nice hotels are 20-30 min away from the track but I still would not park a GN there. Once the local gangs found out a GN show was in town they'd all be working overtime.

Guys, I am going to do everything possible to appease the masses:)

We have a few aces up our sleeves we are working on throwing down, so...

Bank on the TurboBuick.com 2012 Nats, and you just may be surprised at what else may come down the pike;)

Dusty is certainly right about Memphis!! There's no way I would go there for any kind of an event. Talk about TN's crime capitol!! Geeezzzz.

ok this where I chime in....I think most of the old timers know why the BPG was formed. The BPG moved to National Trail due to the fact that 95% of US population is within 24hrs drive. As my name was bought up by tiretoter(sp) and the BPG was mentioned. I feel as Chairman I need to respond. As with past events tossing $$$ does not solve the problem. The BPG opted to do themed Events..the GSX Event was great..the Stage 1 event was good..the Turbo T-party was a success. The BPG has reached out to Shane to offer our location to host the TB.com event and he said they wanted to do their own event. nothing wrong with that. The main problem is the politics...I have had many a conversation with RL about the feud between BPG and GSCA and we resolved to let both clubs co-exist. The Buick crowd is small..so getting sponsorship is tough...and I agree that there are a lot of events..but it also means that you have a lot of people still promoting Buick's if they are V8 or V6...they are still a Buick. It gives the Buick Fan a choice. Would I like one National Event...hell yes..but due to the divisions amongst the Buick Community I do not see that happening in the near future. The BPG is always open to suggestions on how to grow the Buick Community....

ok this where I chime in....I think most of the old timers know why the BPG was formed. The BPG moved to National Trail due to the fact that 95% of US population is within 24hrs drive. As my name was bought up by tiretoter(sp) and the BPG was mentioned. I feel as Chairman I need to respond. As with past events tossing $$$ does not solve the problem. The BPG opted to do themed Events..the GSX Event was great..the Stage 1 event was good..the Turbo T-party was a success. The BPG has reached out to Shane to offer our location to host the TB.com event and he said they wanted to do their own event. nothing wrong with that. The main problem is the politics...I have had many a conversation with RL about the feud between BPG and GSCA and we resolved to let both clubs co-exist.[I][/I] The Buick crowd is small..so getting sponsorship is tough...and I agree that there are a lot of events..but it also means that you have a lot of people still promoting Buick's if they are V8 or V6...they are still a Buick. It gives the Buick Fan a choice. Would I like one National Event...hell yes..but due to the divisions amongst the Buick Community I do not see that happening in the near future. The BPG is always open to suggestions on how to grow the Buick Community....

Talk is cheap.

So will SOMEONE,......ANYONE, there HAS to be one from each side who wants to be a peacemaker instead of antagonist, STEP THE F*** UP???

Past history be danged. Bury the damn hatchet boys.

SHEESH!

Talk is cheap.

So will SOMEONE,......ANYONE, there HAS to be one from each side who wants to be a peacemaker instead of antagonist, STEP THE F*** UP???

SHEESH!

Don't hold your breath. The G S C A and it's hired henchmen think their pee pees are the biggest and they aren't going to change that soon. The only way to help the community grow is to boycott the G S C A and let them blow away and let a true enthusiast take it's place. Lasseter, the fanny pack man, and the post card bandit get no $$.

Talk is cheap.

SHEESH!

I am working on that...

I don't know how to relay what I really want to say without putting the cart ahead of the mule so please understand that with what I am going to say....

I "think" things are going to work out to satisfy everyone, well as much as humanly possible, in the months to come...

A little patience is going to go along ways I "think."

Talk is cheap.

SHEESH!

I DID STEP UP... I contacted Richard...something nobody else did before from the BPG.I also contacted the Buick that were pro BPG that were anti GSCA to cut the crap and they did..You do not see the anti GSCA posts on TBS.com... as Chairman of the BPG I reached out to Richard to offer that olive branch,, as you only joined in 2010 maybe you do not know the full history as why the BPG was formed in 2002 RL and I both agreed to let both clubs co-exist...I have also talked to Shane about this issue. So I DID STEP UP....it all comes down to $$$ BPG is non profit 501 C3 organization...GSCA is a business. Richard L owns the club Dallas Jones owns the event. Nothing against the GSCA/BG event as I attended for many years. Many Buick enthusiasts belong to both clubs and attend both events as well as other events. THE HATCHET has been buried as far as I am concerned.. Let the Buick owner decide where he/she wants to go.

I DID STEP UP... I contacted Richard...something nobody else did before from the BPG.I also contacted the Buick that were pro BPG that were anti GSCA to cut the crap and they did..You do not see the anti GSCA posts on TBS.com... as Chairman of the BPG I reached out to Richard to offer that olive branch,, as you only joined in 2010 maybe you do not know the full history as why the BPG was formed in 2002 RL and I both agreed to let both clubs co-exist...I have also talked to Shane about this issue. So I DID STEP UP....it all comes down to $$$ BPG is non profit 501 C3 organization...GSCA is a business. Richard L owns the club Dallas Jones owns the event. Nothing against the GSCA/BG event as I attended for many years. Many Buick enthusiasts belong to both clubs and attend both events as well as other events. THE HATCHET has been buried as far as I am concerned.. Let the Buick owner decide where he/she wants to go.

Good job... You are right... At this point it is what it is...

ok this where I chime in....I think most of the old timers know why the BPG was formed. The BPG moved to National Trail due to the fact that 95% of US population is within 24hrs drive. As my name was bought up by tiretoter(sp) and the BPG was mentioned. I feel as Chairman I need to respond. As with past events tossing $$$ does not solve the problem. The BPG opted to do themed Events..the GSX Event was great..the Stage 1 event was good..the Turbo T-party was a success. The BPG has reached out to Shane to offer our location to host the TB.com event and he said they wanted to do their own event. nothing wrong with that. The main problem is the politics...I have had many a conversation with RL about the feud between BPG and GSCA and we resolved to let both clubs co-exist. The Buick crowd is small..so getting sponsorship is tough...and I agree that there are a lot of events..but it also means that you have a lot of people still promoting Buick's if they are V8 or V6...they are still a Buick. It gives the Buick Fan a choice. Would I like one National Event...hell yes..but due to the divisions amongst the Buick Community I do not see that happening in the near future. The BPG is always open to suggestions on how to grow the Buick Community....

Nice post...

I am working on that...

I don't know how to relay what I really want to say without putting the cart ahead of the mule so please understand that with what I am going to say....

I "think" things are going to work out to satisfy everyone, well as much as humanly possible, in the months to come...

A little patience is going to go along ways I "think."

Listen to Shane, Everything is coming slowly coming together so everyone just hang tite and watch the board....

Sean,

My comment was not directed at you personally, however in re-reading it I see how it could have been taken that way. I appologize if you believe it was a personal attack, because it was not meant to be.

I guess what I was trying to say is the more divided we remain, the faster the demise of our community will take place.

Without cooperation we are doomed. These events should be about camaraderie in the pits, competition on the track, and a good time for everyone, racers and spectators..

Someone said "The G S C A and it's hired henchmen think their pee pees are the biggest and they aren't going to change that soon."

I say "Go get a ruler, little fella!"

Guy Cunningham

Someone said "The G S C A and it's hired henchmen think their pee pees are the biggest and they aren't going to change that soon."

I say "Go get a ruler, little fella!"

Guy Cunningham

It's really pretty simple, although hard for you to comprehend obviously. If the G S C A was truly comfortable and confident they would always have the best show in town they would have never cared if there were other events. I call it the little pee pee complex.

The G S C A didn't get a ruler out when it mattered, now they are down a event (Reynolds) and their "NATS" is on the verge of failure. Lasseter and his henchmen should be on here trying to fix things and apologizing to the Community for their actions of the past. Sean has always been class act as well as the BPG who have tried their best to co-exist with other events from my observations and have never resorted to hiring tough guys, postcard bandits and other means of strong arming the people who support and show up to their event.

Calling a spade a spade... and I'm not sorry it rufffles some feathers..... :rolleyes:

"I say "Go get a ruler, little fella!""

"It's really pretty simple, although hard for you to comprehend obviously."

It's so simple that I think you failed to see the humor intended there..... I'm pretty new here, so I have no affiliation with any "group" and I'm not defending anyone's motives, actions or lack of action.

Maybe I have no right to say anything at all, but I don't see scolding a newb to ANY forum as beneficial or a way to attract and retain potential/new members.

You guys can do what you want. I'm just looking for a way to enjoy and have fun with my car and share good times with others who love and cherish these little cars.

Thanks for listening, or not.