Need pistol opinions, Sig vs. Glock

cwelk87gn

XCELR8S
I have decided to get rid of my S&W .45 auto, and upgrade to either a Sig or Glock .45. I am also considering switching from a full-frame gun to a compact, for easier carry. I have had a Glock 19 for years and it has been a very good weapon, but I've heard lots of good things about the Sigs too. Any opinions??

Both are well built and well respected guns. I personally don't like how the Glock feels in my hand and I don't like how they shoot. They feel top heavy to me. IMO, the Sig has a very rough trigger pull. I was looking at both, but ended up buying a Kimber Pro Carry. I spent more than both the Sig and Glock, but I felt more comfortable w/ the Kimber. If the Kimber was out of the equation, I'd buy the Sig, but only because it fells more comfortable in my hand. I think (but am not sure) the P228 or P229 can be had in either .40 and 9mm and use the same hi cap mags.

Later,

Steve.

I have never owned a Glock.......why you ask? Because I have a Sig P228. That is the compact 9mm. I have been happy with it from day one, and don't plan on changing any time soon. I t has never jammed on me, is extremely accurate and feels good in my hand. WHat more can you ask of a hand gun? :cool:

I carry 2 Glocks, G-17 & G-26 w/ extended grip. I carry the baby Glock off-duty; I found an extension that slips over a standard mag and is contoured to the grip, so I have the concealability along w/ high capacity. I have carried a Glock since they came out and really like them, I was issued a Sig .45 when in AZ. but the firing pin broke twice (it was probably a bad run of pins?!) Anyway, you carry a Glock already so... I would be preaching to the choir :) I prefer it to any other handgun I have ever owned.
D

My xmas present to myself will probably be a Glock 17. I did a fairly extensive test fire of a bunch of pistols last summer and that's the one that came up on top. Even for a range gun, it was accurate and felt great.

80% of law enforcement in this Country carry Glock, mostly G22's ( .40 ) a great site for Glocks is www.glocktalk.com TONS of info. glocks have less moving parts than sig, only requires one toll to disassemble vs Sig's large tool box. i made my choice based on Police need to depend on their weapon to LIVE, what do most carry? ( 80% ) and most when issued a Sig, choose to carry Glock. i'm sure there are LEO's that go the opposite way but. #'s speak

I carried the Glock 22 and 27 when I was on patrol. IMO I think the Glocks are perfect miulti-purpose weapons. My brother shoots competitively with a Glock 17. He often beats out the 1911 guys. That being said, I now carry (plainclothes) a Sig p220 (45). I also own a p226 (9mm). The sigs feel better in my hand than just about any other pistol. The sig (again IMO) shoots better. If you dont like the trigger pull, Sig sells a trigger with a shorter pull. The only thing against the 45 is lower capacity.

My parents own a gun store so I get to play with just about every type of pistol. By far my favorite pistol is the HK p7m8 (squeeze cocker). It however is pricey. Retail is over $1300. Yes, I had to buy one.

Zac

I have had both and they are as far as I am concerned both very nice. I found the sig to be good shooter and excellent reliability. I also had a 229 in 357 sig. An excellent round if you ask me. I love my combat tupperware. Since I like to be outside alot, it does not rust, dirt does not bother it and mud muck water and rain do not seem to phase it as much. My sig was ver well built and excellent. I personally felt its tighter tolerances could cause some reliability issues when subjected to harsh conditions. My glock has performed flawless over the last 7 years. I carry a 22 in .40 and love it. Hope this info helps.

I think I am going to throw the Kimber into the equation. I saw one today at the gun shop for 499.00, which I thought was reasonable. I also looked at the Glock 36 compact .45, pretty sweet.

I've owned a Glock 19 & 21 and am issued a Sig P226. Both are excellent weapons. The Glock is a little more simplistic and crude whereas the Sig seems more refined and smoother. I think the 80% of all PD's are Glock users because of cost. They're an excellent pistol for the price. For almost 2x more $ you get a bit smoother gun in the Sig. Which tips the balances when you're a PD on a budget?

For off duty carry I sold my Glock and bought a PT-145 .45 ACP. It's compact size and capacity is unmatched by Glock and Sig. 10+1 in .45 ACP with a compact frame....AWESOME!

Attachments

• pt-145.jpg
    pt-145.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7,324
I would get the Kimber or look into an XD.

My favorite weapons are 1911's, but I carry an XD daily, excellent weapon. Light, simple, good size, good safety system, good price, very accurate and very very relaible.

Chris S

As far as performance goes you cant go wrong with either. Pick the one that fits your hand the best. I'm a 1911 guy and feel that SIGs point almost as well. Glock are great and reliable, but their grip leaves a lot to be desired.

Para Ordinance 45 (holds 12 + 1), rounds are stagered in clip. I have owned MANY handguns over the years, and this is my Favorite. The Kimber comes in close second. Go to a range/ shop, that lets you rent guns, and try a few out.
Ray

Originally posted by 6 beats 8
Go to a range/ shop, that lets you rent guns, and try a few out.
Ray

Probably the best advice here. I was going to buy my neighbors Glock because I was getting a screaming deal on it. I went to a range and rented one and did not like how it shot. The $20 I paid for rental saved me $400.

Later,

Steve.

I would take a Sig over a Glock, but Glock would be my second choice over any other. I own a Sig P239 .40 and If money wasn't an issue, I would get a P229 .40. I actually need something with a higher capacity so i'm getting a G22 next week. Both are great weapons.

i'm selling my Glock 22 to get a G23. email me if your interested
2 15rd mags,fobus right hand paddle, uncle mikes belt. green night sights

I just bought a new Glock 37(45 GAP)and hung a surefire light on the end.It's very nice,and I like the way Glocks shoot.

If you're gonna carry concealed I would recommend looking into Kahr pistols.I have one of those also and it's great.