Gun guys; Sig, S&W, Glock or??

Roc87

11 Second V6
Went out shooting with a few friends over the weekend and my LAR Grizzly was the only one that gave us any problems. It's a .45 Win Mag and I have 1014 "Re-loads" for it, but, none of the reloads fit into this particular weapon correctly and it's nearly impossible to find ammo for it anywhere. So, I'm wanting to buy another gun. Either a 9mm or a .40 and cannot really decide between a Sig, a Smith&wesson or a Glock. I've heard some say that Glock isn't very good, so is the Sig that much better for the $$? Any ideas or thoughts welcome. Also wondering how I dispose of all the re-loads I have, as I don't think there is many more models of gun that can use a 45 winmag.

KIMBER Ultra Carry II 45ACP.

:cool:

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP1814-1.JPG
    Resize of IMGP1814-1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,177
if you want a gun the will shoot everytime you pull the trigger get a glock thats what they are made for they are dependable. if got a .40 and I love it. Glock is not the best name out there but IMO for just playing around, having fun, and for protection for the most part trouble free they are hard to beat

I like my Colt 45 acp 1911. I have 3 different models. I have run 5000 rounds threw an old plain jane 1911. Still shoots like day one. I also have a Sig 9mm. Nice but not same ball park as the Colt.

Sig .40

I bought a Factory Rebuilt Sig .40 and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I sold my Glock .45 as the recoil was such a PITA it wasn't fun to shoot. The .40 is a nice compromise. The 9MM is a little light for home defense.

Opinions are like aszholes. You're gunna get a bunch here. Go to a gun range that rents handguns, or borrow from friends. I could make loads of suggestions to you which won't amount to doodley squat. You have to handle and shoot a gun repeatedly to find out if its right for you. That's what you need to do.

What is your main purpose? For sure shooting and take a licking and keep on ticking the Glock is hard to beat....

Lonnie, I love my 1911 too that is a must have piece to a collection:biggrin:

Just to prove I have an azzhole:

With a CCL, I alternate taking the boys out:

My Kimber Compact Aluminum .45 ACP (1911) is a sweet package. It's the forerunner of the Kimber Pro Carry. Aluminum frame, stainless slide. The Ultra shown above in this thread has a 1" shorter barrel, easier to carry, really nice... REALLY nice. If you handle and shoot a Kimber, you might get hooked. Find a quality used one for 2/3 the price of new and be happy. But you said 9 mm or .40, oops, but some Kimbers are available in 9 mm.
Kimber America - 1911 Pistols

Love the relatively cheap 9 mm ammo... my semiautomatic Sig 9 mm (old model 228) is a nice-shooting piece and I love the feel. I prefer it to the Glock style but that's purely personal. It has a decocking feature I like. Take note, Plaxico.

I've got three Glock 9mm's as well as a Sig 9mm, a Sig .45, a Sig .22, a Smith .357, a H&K .45 and soon, a Sig 556. They are all fun in their own right. As others have mentioned, everybody has their own opinion of what's "better". As far as being dependable, I don't have any complaints out of any of them. I think your best bet would be to look for a gun shop with a nice selection of rental guns. Rent a few, try them out on the range and see what feels right to you. That or round up all your gun owning friends for a big firearm party and shoot theirs.

IMO, any of the ones you're considering is a good choice. :cool:

I had forgotten to mention the Kimber, they look like a great gun, but I haven't shot any of those either. I did shoot a friends very old colt 1911 .45, that thing must have had 10k rounds put through it, but it still shot very nice. Will have to try out a few before making a purchase. Want something that I can go fire on the occasional weekend and not drop a fortune for ammo and something that has some take down power. Wife really enjoyed going with us, but I guess I'll have to get her her own gun if I get something larger than a 9 or a .40.... Darn.... LOL

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY hands down.. if you are looking for a Tachtical hand gun they have several selection with the new XD models and XD(M)s...they come with the railing systems to hook up sure-fire light and beams.. they are real nice.. either full size, or compact.. and i think even sub-compact.. check them out.... i have a 1911 .45 ACP.. and ive shot a few hundred rounds through it.. and not once has it "jammed" on me... :eek: :biggrin: Check out their web-site.. i guarentee you wont be dissapointed...:biggrin: Glocks are nice.. but i think you would be settleling.. its to plain for me.. (sorry to all the Glock fans)... good luck....:biggrin:

Plaxico Burress prefers the Glock 40 sans waist band holster.........perhaps if he had it licensed and bought the waist band holster he'd be ok......what a d1ck.

I personally have a Glock 40 and have not had a problem with it. I bought if for home protection.

azzhole#2

Ruger SR9 is cheap($400 new), good quality, feels perfect, and shoots anything you give it like candy.

For the girlfriend... Star m43 9mm very accurate,cheap($275 used) and handle recoil like nothin.Watch out though...You might fall in love with it too!

How about a Judge? IMO, ideal for "around the house", and in the car....
That .410 is as good as handgrenades vs horseshoes.. Close is good enuf!!

Since the purpose of this thread(and most)is asking for opinions I'll offer mine again.

These are my top 4. Beretta 380, Glock 17 9mm, Kimber 45, and Smith & Wesson 40 cal.

I had a Beretta 45 and it was the smoothest gun I ever had. If you have the $ buy a Kimber, Medium budget..Glock or Beretta, Smaller budget the S&W 40 is a great gun for the money. Never had any trouble with it..or any of them for that matter.

Of course you should 'test drive' before you buy, but hopefully the experienced input in this thread has helped you narrow down your choices. ;)

Attachments

• IMGP3003.jpg
    IMGP3003.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,889
Plaxico Burress prefers the Glock 40 sans waist band holster.........perhaps if he had it licensed and bought the waist band holster he'd be ok......what a d1ck.

I personally have a Glock 40 and have not had a problem with it. I bought if for home protection.

Now thats funny:biggrin: