My GNs first trophy...

BlackMetal

Had the car for about 12 months now. I think I've only been to one judged show prior to this and I lost to Mustangs and Firebirds. This show was no big deal, organized by my school, mostly imports, but there was some slight competition for me in the domestic class.

Also saw dozens of people copying down my car's number on the "Most Popular" ballots, but with the limited number of cars there, I'm pretty sure they only allowed me to win once. So I walked away with Best Domestic. Most Popular went to some all-out drag car, I think it was a Nova.

trophy.gif

I'm tired of squirming when people ask about it performance wise, so as a reward to myself, I'm finally gunna spring for an RJC plate and start saving up for an alky kit, that way I won't have to keep telling everyone that it detonates. :tongue:

madhat said:
good high school car :D
I had a 66 GTO...

Haha not quite high school, actually an automotive technical school. Hence the reason why a school was having a car show. But yes, I think it's a great car in terms of my first performance ride.

well, HERE we had car shows in high school(set up by teh school), but sorry for the mistake :D

Do you know why it detonates? Have you checked the 2 rubber hoses that go to your boost controller? If not, do you have an adjustable wastegate actuator? If so, just turn the boost down a little!

jdpolzin said:
Do you know why it detonates? Have you checked the 2 rubber hoses that go to your boost controller? If not, do you have an adjustable wastegate actuator? If so, just turn the boost down a little!

I've been chasing the problem for a while. I started out with 15 degrees of KR and gradually got in under control with fuel system upgrades, TT chip, etc. It's much better now, but it'll still pull about 5 degrees if I hammer the gas. I've checked the hoses and everything at the actuator, no problems there. For some reason I just can't hit more than 12lbs without knock.

Love the car! Real clean, and tasteful. I have been lookin at those wheels also. Did you do 5x120s Or 120.65? Where did you get them? (RPM wheels doesnt reply e-mails I've learned)
Are all injectors flowing at full of WOT?! May check to see they arent sticking, or clogged. Just a thought. (its fuel or spark/timing!)

GregInAtl said:
Love the car! Real clean, and tasteful. I have been lookin at those wheels also. Did you do 5x120s Or 120.65? Where did you get them? (RPM wheels doesnt reply e-mails I've learned)
Are all injectors flowing at full of WOT?! May check to see they arent sticking, or clogged. Just a thought. (its fuel or spark/timing!)

Actually I didn't get the correct bolt pattern with the wheels, but I needed to run spacers anyway, so I simply got wheel adapters that corrected for the bolt pattern being wrong.

I got mine from "rimdealer" on eBay, who runs www.bestwheel.com . He usually has a good supply of RPM wheels.

As far as my knock problem, I haven't been able to get as involved as to check injectors and all that, but I would hope that the injectors are decent since my car came with really low mileage.

low mileage is good, but 20 yrs old is the issue. We had new 87 GNs (Less than 100 miles) recently require hundreds of dollars in parts like ign modules, and gas tanks from sitting. Old gas is bery bad.....keep on pursuing , but I'd have the injs flow tested, and see if any are funked w/ goo.
Just a thought, good luck!
GC