Crafting a new spoiler for my GN. Opinions wanted.

Looks like a 86 Monte Carlo spoiler, they were tipped up more than the 87 and later units.

in case the previous post had anyone wondering what they look like side by side ;)

upload_2014-7-20_21-15-36.png

I actually really like the 1 piece look. Can't wait to see the finished product

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Add a little more angle to the back of the second one Mike. That looks almost like what it should've been from the factory.;)

I was trying to use an angle that was already on the car. I was visioning the front of a hood bulge. If I bring the trailing, top edge back more, I need to make it taller to not have it get too thin. Post up a sketch.

Didn't Kenne Bell offer a one piece spoiler, many years ago?

I was trying to use an angle that was already on the car. I was visioning the front of a hood bulge. If I bring the trailing, top edge back more, I need to make it taller to not have it get too thin. Post up a sketch.

Didn't Kenne Bell offer a one piece spoiler, many years ago?
Look at the 2 showing the difference in lay down and stand up. Something in between the 2 and going down to where the original is on the back of the trunk Mike. Slightly taller to help with down force as well, for those that need some help at the track.

The sketch you did and posted on the previous page of this thread sort of reminded me alittle of the rear spoiler that was on the Iroc series cars back in the late 90's to early 2000's.

Hahahaha...blame X-Ray...he designed it...I just built it.
You possess a medium that I do not work with. I wish I could do carbon fiber or fiberglass.
Do you remember the spoiler that Dave Sapper built for his Pro Touring car? He had his shop add to the factory wing and kept the middle the stock height.
sapper-jpg.229135
sapper-wing-1-jpg.229136

Attachments

• SAPPER.jpg
    SAPPER.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 524
  • SAPPER WING 1.jpg
    SAPPER WING 1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 547
Look at the 2 showing the difference in lay down and stand up. Something in between the 2 and going down to where the original is on the back of the trunk Mike. Slightly taller to help with down force as well, for those that need some help at the track.

What might look cool is to do the one in the bottom sketch and have X-Ray do the extension, like he did on Coaches car. That would be the best of both world for the Nascar fans. Hey Coach! Can you post up a picture of the spoiler, you and X-Ray did for your car?

Hahahaha...blame X-Ray...he designed it...I just built it.
You possess a medium that I do not work with. I wish I could do carbon fiber or fiberglass.
Do you remember the spoiler that Dave Sapper built for his Pro Touring car? He had his shop add to the factory wing and kept the middle the stock height.
sapper-jpg.229135
sapper-wing-1-jpg.229136

If i am not mistaken, the gap would allow for less drag resistance which wouldn't hurt speed but end up having more downforce pressure on the rear end over the stock height GN spoiler could produce with the taller spoiler sections like above. That is a really awesome design and works well for our turbo buicks uniqueness.
Be cool to see a one piece version of that be mass produced, looks like a best of both worlds. Get more rear downforce without hurting the speed too much, very cool design that screams it belongs on a TR. :D
It'd also confuse alot of people, they'd be like what kind of car is that. LOL

Last edited:
Coach,
I had forgotten about Dave's spoiler. That is truly BAD ASS! I actually like that better than anything I've come up with. The higher profile looks close to the sketch I just did. Mine just is angled back on the vertical. What about doing a one piece of my lower sketch and splitting it in the middle like Dave's?

What might look cool is to do the one in the bottom sketch and have X-Ray do the extension, like he did on Coaches car. That would be the best of both world for the Nascar fans. Hey Coach! Can you post up a picture of the spoiler, you and X-Ray did for your car?

I'm actually designing a different wing soon. X-Ray is involved in it too...he just don't know it yet.
IMG_5341.jpg
IMG_5998.jpg
IMG_8247.jpg

Charlie,
I think if I were going to do that, I'd keep it vertical like the picture Coach posted of Dave's car.
I actually like the lean back...its a little more attitude added to a car that's loaded with it.

I actually like the lean back...its a little more attitude added to a car that's loaded with it.

Bottom sketch of raised spoiler / lean back / one piece / split like Dave's / painted semi-gloss black

I think we're getting somewhere.:D

The lean back gives a bit of a low pressure zone which will help keep the car down better, which is a good thing.

I think the more vertical , the better, for our cars looks. Great job Mike ! Im sure the finished product will be badass...

The wing on Daves car is very cool !!
Coaches wing is awesome as well, just not my style.

Bryan

I think the more vertical , the better, for our cars looks. Great job Mike ! Im sure the finished product will be badass...

The wing on Daves car is very cool !!
Coaches wing is awesome as well, just not my style.

Bryan
I actually have brackets made that stand up more then my wing does. It was X-Ray's first design. It looks very much like a NASCAR wing. ScotW was going to install them until he saw they were for a car with a factory spoiler. His white car did not have one, so he sent them back to me.
My next wing will be made off a plain decklid too...and will look similar to my first, but I am using carbon fiber instead of alum. It will also be much tighter to the decklid. REAPER is getting my existing wing...as a bolt on unit. It will take him 15 mins to remove his and put mine on.

Mike,
Prasad knows the guy who bought Dave's car. Maybe it can be arranged this winter to get the spoiler shipped to you to make a mold from...and convert it to a one piece.
Just a thought.