Crafting a new spoiler for my GN. Opinions wanted.

Mike, you do great work! And you do us all a favor for continueing to engineer new products for the TR world. My opinion on the spoiler: the higher split one looks amazing. My only suggestion would be to widen the split a bit more. Almost mimicing the bumper license plate lines on the bumper if that makes sense. Thats my 2 cents. Maybe I missed this in an earlier post as I ve been following the thread since it started, but what is your projected price point? I seem to be getting pretty used to sending money your way!

Add my 2 cents to VtheGNMan. And Spoolfool! I like.

And dsapper's project was lots of GREAT ideas that worked! Beautiful!

Many beers ago I wanted a two piece spoiler. Attach each like the original, incorporate the end cap, maybe a little taller (1/2" to 1") than GN's & about as wide as the taillight. Kind of keep the contour of the license plate gap. I turned a couple blocks of Styrofoam into dust and inspiration went down the drain. Time and money were short, was it gonna be another crazy idea or body & paint? Why mess with a good thing? After all the original was NICE and somebody already made it.

Looking at the front of the car, style lines are taken from the break between the grill and headlights. Sight lines on the profile begin and end similarly at the bumpers and also arch from front to back above the lights. The same might work with the rear gap between taillights which is carried down into the bumper. That gap appears close to the average width of the hood hump too.

Anyway x2 - maybe try to widen the gap in the center or maybe a two piece?

Mike, haven't heard any updates in a while. How's the crafting going? Progress pics?

Attachments

• Mental GN Owner.jpg
    Mental GN Owner.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 124
GNONYX- you are right, nobody threw in the ole Daytona Superbee spoiler! Although it was sad to see one actually ON a GN......
To each their own I guess.

Nothing like your built Mike, but mine came with the car, since I'm the second owner purchased in 1988 with 10,000 miles.
The PDF file shows Kenne Bell Rear Spoiler looks different than what I have.

Attachments

• 87 GN 072A.jpg
    87 GN 072A.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
  • Kenne Bell Rear Spoiler.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 131
I've been up to my ass in alligators. Had my shoulder surgery a month ago. I'm still recovering from that. I just got back from the rained out Speed Week, at The Bonneville Salt Flats. I should be back on track next week. Will post some pics.

Mike B.

yea i heard a bout speed week, one of the guys i work with is building a socc streamliner bike to try and breake the record, i'm helping him wiring and other stuffonece he gets all the metal fab done should be cool.

Hi Mike, Hope you have a speedy recovery with your surgery, since the only cure of pain relief is to continue working on your project with a :nurse:, (y)

Been plugging away on this thing. Got a mold made off of the original. Here's the first one out of the mold.

This is before paint. I put some white end caps on to highlight the gaps around the ends.

I'm very happy with how the gaps turned out on this thing.
I painted the spoiler with SEM (semi-gloss) Trim Black. This is the same stuff I use on grills, headlight bezels and lots of other stuff on our cars.

Back on the car with paint.

I'll be heading back to Bonneville this next Friday. Between now and then, I'll try to get another one made to send to XRay, as a starting point for him to craft that split spoiler off of. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

I'll post up more pics when I get a chance to wash my car and get some good lighting.:)

Happy spooling.
Mike B.