Crafting a new spoiler for my GN. Opinions wanted.

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
I guess I was getting board.

Over the past year or so, I've been farting around on making something that might look good, but a little bit different, hanging off the back of the Black Brick. I will admit that I was inspired by what Coach and X-Ray came up with. So, if I have crazy ideas, hopefully I can blame it all on them.:D

Spoolfools 2 cents. (IMHO)
I personally think the back end of a GN is one of the best looking rears ever made. Most all the people who've raced me, told me the same thing.;) I have never been a big fan of three piece spoilers, after living through the 70's crap I saw on the backs of Datson 280Zs, Cameros and Firebirds, that almost never lined up properly. Our GNs and GNXs do have one the best looking three piecers ever made, even though you rarely see one that lines up nice. I think that GM should have made our cars with one piece rear spoilers (and bumper fillers) form the factory.

One more thing I would have done different from the factory.
I ask you this question. What color is a GN / GNX? Black?
If you look at the front of the car, it's about equal. Half is gloss black and the other half is semi-gloss black. The semi- gloss being the Grill, headlight bezels and the air-dam. There's not much semi-gloss at the back of the car. Maybe the plastic piece behind the licence plate. I'm guessing that GM didn't didn't go semi- gloss on the rear spoiler because they fit like crap and didn't want to draw attention to this.

Here's some pictures of what I think is the best looking spoiler on the market today.

I've been crafting a fiberglass one piece rear spoiler to be painted semi-gloss black for my car. I still need to finish filling, sanding and painting. Unfortunately, I just had shoulder surgery a week ago and not able to work on it.

Here's where it's at right now, in primer.

I'm not 100% positive that I'm going to go semi-gloss. I may go gloss. Then again, I may just make one of each.:p

NOTE: this is a thread to discuss spoiler options and why Spoolfool needs to scale down on his narcotic pain killers. This is NOT a thread to ask me to make you one, or Charlief1 (who is probably now on his third glass of bathtub wine) :eek: will be having a word with you.

Your thoughts and opinions?

Happy spooling...
Mike Barnard

Last edited:
my car doesn't have one but the factory GN spoiler is low profile and suits the car real good. imo. thnx.

not really feeling it.. i like the way the stock Monte SS one piece spoilers look, they have more of the NASCAR speedway look that the slyilsts were going after than even the stock GN spoiler does.. the SS Aerocoupes- and maybe even all of the 88's, i forget- had a slightly taller spoiler on them that looks even better..

the back of the spoiler seems kinda flat to me, I like how the stock gn spoiler curves back, alot of attitude.

This spoiler that I'm making is 100% stock looking, except for the fact that it's a one piece. I didn't alter the profile any. The little tabs at each end had to be widened a little so as not to see behind the end caps.

If it sloped back a little more it would look better. But that's just my personal opinion. A one piece spoiler looks way better than a 3 piece

That spoiler looks pretty nice and it might allow you to look at some more aggressive styles in the future. I prefer the factory looks as much as possible on my GN but on my future Turbo T I would entertain a spoiler change. Thanks for being creative and I look forward to the final painted result. Also, gloss would be the way I would go on that piece. i love subtle changes and only someone who knew what they were looking at would catch a factory style one piece ;)

I always liked the spoiler on the back of an 1988 Monte Carlo SS I had.On the 88's only it swept back more than the previous years.

Perhaps a hybrid 86 and earlier Monte SS "standup" spoiler blended into stock GN spoiler shape?

Also, I've always liked the satin/flat spoiler on a colored/black car, it could work for a TR.

Another Idea, SLP made a lip spoiler for W-Body Regals (GSX). It would require more angular shaping for GNs:

Looks good....I would personally make it a little more radical in appearance but I have one question.
Slide1.JPG

And yes you can blame us..:D

Yes.
The gap is an even 1/8" around the entire end piece. The pictures are showing some strange shadows that look wrong. Once things get cleaned up and painted, I'll take some HD pics with good lighting.

I didn't want to build this thing off a stock plastic original. I felt that it wouldn't last. I made a mold off an original, and built one from scratch. Here's pics of the original next to my hand laid fiberglass one.

The brass piece you see glued to the end of the center section, gives me the gap needed to have clearance on the sides.
With this thing being 100% fiberglass, it makes it easy to work with if I decide to do something totally different.

Anyone, feel free to post up pictures or sketches of what you think would look good. Right now, my plan for this spoiler is to be one piece, stock looking. Unless I see a better idea. Thanks for all the input.

Mike B.

Last edited:
I like your approach and ideas.......I would like one that had the flare of a NASCAR Nationwide sears spoiler but not quite that radical just that theme .
I like this style but this is really big for our cars and the angle is off....my two cents.

Attachments

• spoiler.jpg
    spoiler.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 394
One that rolls with the radius up about 1" then comes straight back about 3". Outlaw wing..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here's one I just sketched up. The top profile and dotted lines represent a stock profile.

Just trying to think outside the box, but still fit the look of the car and look clean.

Mike B.

I like the lower one .....but you may want to change the back a little for die pull from your mold....if you do make something like that .:D

I like the lower one .....but you may want to change the back a little for die pull from your mold....if you do make something like that .:D

I like to start with what looks the best, then try to find a way to make it happen. Things can always be tweaked. Or, fenced off.;)

Mike B.

Add a little more angle to the back of the second one Mike. That looks almost like what it should've been from the factory.;)