Crafting a new spoiler for my GN. Opinions wanted.

People should also be bugging him for a nice, fits-perfect out-of-the-box, fiberglass decklid as well :)

People should also be bugging him for a nice, fits-perfect out-of-the-box, fiberglass decklid as well :)
While your at it you might as well have it made with the spoiler as a one piece deck lid too....

Bryan

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If I needed a fiberglass trunk lid, I'd probably get one of Hartline's. I hear they're nice. If possible, I try to do stuff that no one's done before to our cars. At this point, most everything's been done. You have to really be willing to think outside the box to come up with something new here.

It is my hope that people keep coming up with new ideas for these great old cars. This is why I take the time to post up much of what I've done on my car. To inspire others. Just as others here have inspired me to do the stuff I've done. Here's some of the other stuff I've done. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/my-87-gn-cruise-air-10-55-et-21-mpg.370097/

X-Ray and I talked today. He's wanting to craft a one piece, split spoiler like the one on Dave's car. I'm wanting to do a full length, one piece spoiler of my taller, laid back sketch. I told Ray that once my shoulder is better, I'll make a mold off of my new one piece spoiler and send him one. This will give him a platform to build off of. We'll see what each one of us comes up with and post pictures here.

Still open to other ideas...

Mike B.

Hartline only does the hood, which I hear is killer. I've heard nothing good about the fg decklids out there other than they can be made to look ok after a non-trivial amount of work.

Hartline only does the hood, which I hear is killer. I've heard nothing good about the fg decklids out there other than they can be made to look ok after a non-trivial amount of work.

Has anyone asked him about doing a quality decklid? It would be an expensive part to make and ship. Most of the need for the part would be the East Coast. I'm on the West Coast.
Unfortunately, a FG decklid is a small market, that's all ready covered by low cost parts. I don't believe that there is a way to do a nice quality part, and be able to recoup (brake even) the costs within many years. I figure that it look me about a year and a half of selling my bumper fillers to get to where I saw a profit. I consider this a success.
From a business stand point, this would be a crazy investment. No one that I've met, making "quality" parts for these cars is getting rich off of it. We do it because we love these cars and the people who own them. If we end up with a little beer money at the end of the week, we can smile.

Today, unfortunately, there is much more profit to be made in a low cost, low quality, high volume part, than there is in a high quality part. I hope that as the value of these cars go up, the need for nice parts will also go up. :)

Now, back on topic. What other spoiler profiles might look good on our cars?

Last edited:
While your at it you might as well have it made with the spoiler as a one piece deck lid too....

Bryan

I'd settle for one that brought the rear fiberglass down to the lower trim piece and covered all those typical rusty spots on the lid. :rolleyes:

Spoiler or downforce...these are still my favorite wings of all time!!!!
wings.jpg

My vote is for dsappers, but I'm intrigued by the semi gloss finish you mentioned at the beginning.

Was thinking the same thing. That duck tail spoiler . . . where did he FIND that thing? Front lip was nice as well.

Daves wing geometry with a 1/2" higher rise would be awesome , with or without the center cut-out

Bryan

Mike, you do great work! And you do us all a favor for continueing to engineer new products for the TR world. My opinion on the spoiler: the higher split one looks amazing. My only suggestion would be to widen the split a bit more. Almost mimicing the bumper license plate lines on the bumper if that makes sense. Thats my 2 cents. Maybe I missed this in an earlier post as I ve been following the thread since it started, but what is your projected price point? I seem to be getting pretty used to sending money your way!

Mike, you do great work! And you do us all a favor for continueing to engineer new products for the TR world. My opinion on the spoiler: the higher split one looks amazing. My only suggestion would be to widen the split a bit more. Almost mimicing the bumper license plate lines on the bumper if that makes sense. Thats my 2 cents. Maybe I missed this in an earlier post as I ve been following the thread since it started, but what is your projected price point? I seem to be getting pretty used to sending money your way!

I was thinking the same thing on the split being the same as something below it. The one piece spoiler is something I've always wanted to do for my car. I just wasn't sure what I wanted it to look like and wanted input from others. This thread is what I needed to motivate myself and see some fresh ideas. As far as production stuff, Ray, Coach, Myself or anyone else would need to post that in the proper (other) section.;) Right now, I'm just wanting to craft the coolest spoiler I can for my car, and hopefully encourage others to make new stuff. :)

Mike B.

That'd be cool to tie in the spoiler gap with the rear bumper plate opening gap to make it almost a seamless transition from spoiler to the bumper, making it seem like it was like that from day 1. :D

Looks great Mike!
While this isn't about your spoiler, I need to heap some praise on Mike and his bumper fillers.
I have a totally stock 87 GN, with the factory paint (still beautiful) and of course all the filler started cracking and actually falling off.
After some research I decided SpoolFool's full set of fillers were the best and contacted him here on the forum. Mike was nice enough to let me know I should go through a 3rd party GN vendor for his fillers, because since I am on the East coast, the shipping would be cheaper, and sure enough I saved 50 bucks.
Ordered them from a 3rd party (who shall remain nameless) and a few days later the fillers arrived. But a problem one of the front fillers was not wrapped properly and scratched pretty bad, through the paint. It seemed they put a damaged filler in my box. Well I was pretty upset, because I have been burned buying things online and over the phone before I was nervous of being ignore. I called the 3rd party first who took my info and NEVER returned my call. Panic set in.
I then contacted Mike on this forum, who assured me he stands by his products 100% and he would either fix or replace the filler. He would even pay my postage from NY to Cali to ship the filler to him.
Needless to say, Mike received my filler and agreed it was scratched up pretty bad (he had no idea why, but then again he didnt ship it, Mr. 3rd party GN vendor did) and said he would send me a new one.
1 week later a new front filler arrived at my house from Mike directly!!
I have to say having this filler replaced was the smoothest return I have EVER had.! Mike is a standup guy who deserves anyone's business due to his practices, and as well his bumper fillers are gorgeous, even better than stock!
If Mike was selling ice in Alaska, I would buy some from him.
Mike if you're ever in NY, I owe you a beer
Jack