TURBO 6.0 '87- Build Thread & ?'s

If you clank something hard enough to break that pan, you're gonna know it. If it happens, and your oil pressure drops for a few seconds (5 or so) before you shut it off, it'll live. Think about how the lifters rattle after an oil change before the new hit of oil gets through the motor. And the turbo would be fine too, as long as it wasn't at 60,000 rpm with no oil for 10 seconds...lol.

I suppose you're right. All valid points. I'll just throw a kill switch onto the dash somewhere.

Build changed...again...for the last time!!! Decided on doing a 370 with stock crank and forged rods/pistons. I can get the machining done for free and the assembly for damn close to free, as well. So why not, right? I'm planning on getting started on that right after the holidays. Gotta' make sure I have enough $$$ for any and all gifts. Planning on Callies Compstar H-beams and haven't decided on pistons. I need to consult with someone who knows more than I do.
I already have the gasket kit from my 5.3 so I'll use it and get some 4.03" bore Cometic head gaskets. And I'm fairly set on getting the ball bearing TC78 from Huron Speed. With these nicer pieces, I'm looking to spin the turbo a bit harder now and am aiming for 700whp/wtq with e85/meth. But...I'll be building the fuel system for much more. 1200cc injectors ain't cheap, but a guy (Stegmeier) around me can actually bore stock injectors. The guy who will be helping with my build has worked with Stef many times and think he can hit 1200cc with a certain injector brand. Hopefully this stock GN rear can live with that for a while. Probably need to look into beefing up my 4L80 now.

Made some progress...kinda'. I somehow ended up with a 5" aluminum driveshaft FOR FREE. It'll need to be shortened and a new yoke on the rear, but I think that's about it. It's a good thing I found this, too. I'm letting a buddy/builder, Cody, have some input on this build as he's going to be doing a fair amount of work virtually for free. He's wanting to get his shop's name out, "Rush Garage", and wants to do some pretty cool things with this build and make A BUNCH of power. We're looking at a t6 88mm GT47 .96 exhaust side this weekend. That should support the 1,300hp he's thinking I'll make. The thing holding me back from more will be injectors. A local, Bob Stegmeier (older guy who used to do stuff for NASCAR, but is HUGE in the SVT world still), can port stock Ls1 EV6 injectors to 120#. That's what I'm gonna' stick with for the time being and still plan on running e85.
We're gonna' get to boxing the '81 Grand Prix frame this car will be sitting on here pretty soon. Then we can start putting everything in its place.
The 4L80 should be going up to MN for Cody's uncle to bulletproof soon, as well. His dad is gonna' take it with him next time he goes up north so that'll save me shipping, too.
Things are actually happening faster than I had originally figured. Can't wait to get this bastard on the road.

Good work man! I can't wait to see your final product. You know who to text/call if you need anything.

Zack

"I somehow ended up with a 5" aluminum driveshaft FOR FREE."
If that's an OEM truck shaft, I'd suggest you inquire at a performance shaft shop, B4 U try to put 800HP thru it..

Info I use, to do the calcs, shows the following:
1300 RWHP x1.15 driveline loss =1500FWHP. The BSFC of E85 I use is .87
1500 x .87 = 1305
____________ = 192#/hr inj
8 x .85 dc

Sounds like a set of Injector Dynamics ID2000's would do the deed.

Yes/no????????????????

1500 x .87 = 1305
8 x .85 dc

Yes/no????????????????

I believe you are correct.

will 8 120# injectors support 1300hp on e85???

Apparently not. I'm going by what I was told. He may have forgot to factor in e85. He's got a couple builds going on at the moment so some specifics may have slipped his mind. Hell, I may have failed to inform him I wanted to go the e85 route. Not sure. We'll figure it out.

Good work man! I can't wait to see your final product. You know who to text/call if you need anything.
Zack

Thanks, Zack. Lost your number. I'll PM you for it or just text me if you've still got mine.

"I somehow ended up with a 5" aluminum driveshaft FOR FREE."
If that's an OEM truck shaft, I'd suggest you inquire at a performance shaft shop, B4 U try to put 800HP thru it..

As stated prior, it needs some fine tuning to work which is where a performance driveshaft shop comes into play.

1500 x .87 = 1305
8 x .85 dc

Yes/no????????????????

Welp, if that's the route I have to go, then that's what will be done. Appreciate the formula. I'll bring it up with Cody and compare yours with his. He may have done his calculations thinking I was doing 93 oct./meth.

Definitely needs more injector!
I believe you are correct.

If that's what the consensus is...

Welp, if that's the route I have to go, then that's what will be done. Appreciate the formula. I'll bring it up with Cody and compare yours with his. He may have done his calculations thinking I was doing 93 oct./meth.
What I'll bring up here is Chuck cleans injectors for fun and knows quite a bit about them.;) Look up some of his posts and you can see the machine he uses and the results he gets. He can even match the flow for you if needed.:cool:

Have you addressed your fuel pump yet?

Eh, kinda'. We've talked a bit about the Magnafuel 4303. I know it supports quite a bit of power, but other than that I don't know much or if something else is better suited for this build or easier. I'm still new to all of this and have done a little bit of research, but I think I want to avoid a dual-pump set up. I really don't want to have one fail on me leaving the car starving for fuel and running lean as hell. I'll be putting a fuel cell in the trunk so if anybody has ANY suggestions or advice, I'm all ears (eyes in this case...).

What I'll bring up here is Chuck cleans injectors for fun and knows quite a bit about them.;) Look up some of his posts and you can see the machine he uses and the results he gets. He can even match the flow for you if needed.:cool:

No that's totally fine. I always welcome adivce and informational from a credible, knowledgable, experienced source. School has a couple injector flow benches and Cody has access to one at Stegmeier's so I'm covered there.

Just did a little more reading on Ls1tech, and there's quite a few people on there that have had great success with the 4303.

Upon doing some more injector research, I've come across the FIC 2150cc injectors. They're the largest high impedence injector on the market and supposedly work great for E85. I've read that they have an awesome spray pattern and atomization which is great because I'd like to keep my tuner happy. Users seem to be very happy with these injectors and they're $4-500 cheaper than the ID2000's. I might even be able to save a few more bucks if my instructor at school can make a couple calls and find me a deal.
Anyone have any input on these?
Also, I got my big bastard of a turbo yesterday.
479928_2059486009270_2058433069_n.jpg

483311_2059488129323_1319336198_n.jpg

543995_2059488649336_1397916261_n.jpg

That's a big girl. Looks a lot like mine, except the wheel is bigger. Make sure you make some sort of brace to support the weight, my turbo brace is bolted to the passengers head.

I suggest B4 U spend the $$ on big injs, take a few minutes, and read thru some of the tech topics in this link...

http://www.injectordynamics.com/tech.html

Fair enough. When I get some time, I'll go through it.

That's a big girl. Looks a lot like mine, except the wheel is bigger. Make sure you make some sort of brace to support the weight, my turbo brace is bolted to the passengers head.

Yep. When we held it for the first time, that became obvious. Not sure where we'll brace it to as I don't even know where the turbo itself will sit, but we'll get that taken care of. Thanks.