learned something on BS for wheels

grocerygetter

evidently there is some variance on wheel manufacturers. My AR TT2s, 17x9.5 with 4.75" bs sit perfect on my GN...the new boss 338 18x9.5 with 5" bs plus a .25 spacer hit the fender lip. No spacer, just perfect. LOL
In other words...boss 5" bs in comparison to the AR bs numbers are closer than what you think. My honest guess is that boss is measuring their BS before the sandblast coat finish. They are a cheaper wheel and that may be the answer. But just wanted to let the crew know that the 5" bs Boss/eagle BS on a 9.5 wheel fits fine on the turbo hooptie.

nitto 555 on the 17s and sumitomo htrz3 on the 18s. footprint is close...the sumitomos are a tad wider. But still taking that into consideration because I'm looking at both inboard and outboard spacing.

I kept my race wheel set up...wanted a street tire. Be curious if it spins on the interstate. LOL...it did when I had 20s and 255s for the street.

nitto 555 on the 17s and sumitomo htrz3 on the 18s. footprint is close...the sumitomos are a tad wider. But still taking that into consideration because I'm looking at both inboard and outboard spacing.

I would think wheel manufacturers might be like the tire manufacturers. Same size wheel (or tire), but different actual dimensions. :)

there is even a difference on oem wheels that should be the same...

when i had 16" IROCs on my Nova, the rear tires would rub on the outside of the wheelwell on the driver's side where it was pushed in a little bit from a previous accident.. when i got my GTAs and put them on, it had a good 1/4" more clearance.. i thought it might have been the different tires, but i measured from the wheelwell to the lip on the wheel on both sets and sure enough the GTAs were 1/4" farther in.

there is also a difference from manufacturer to manufracturer on where they measure the backspacing- some go from the farthest edge of the lip where the wheel weights clip on, some to the flat part just inside of that lip, which can mean close to a 1/4" difference in backspacing just from that with some steel wheels.

Backspacing is supposed to be the amount of space from the mounting flange to the back edge of the rim. Contrary to what many believe, an 8 inch wheel actually measures around 9 inches wide. So you may have an 8 inch rim with zero offset (centered) and think that the bs is 4 inches when its actually 4.4 to 4.5 inches. That depends on the wheel, but in most cases the wheel overall is an inch wider than advertised.