18" CCW Wheels on Scot W's car..

Up-Date

Sorry for the long delay on updating this thread but we have been very buisy lately and still trying to fit in more testing. We have been doing some involved testing in efforts to achive a nicely ballanced G-body for the autocross and Roadcourse. We will get pretty involved here on some topics such as "Torsional Rigidity", Drag co-efficiant, Etc. so if you plan on actually competeing in an Autocross or on a Roadcourse you might want to follow along. ;)

We are now the Buick vendor for DSE (Detroit Speed & Engineering) bringing you a Fully bolt-in Pro-touring suspension for the G-Body cars. We are in the process of installing a complete DSE G-Body suspension on the GNS test car early next week. We will be documenting the complete install by video & pictures. Soon as we are done we will edit everything into a nice video and post it for everyone.

To get prepared for this install we have done A LOT of priliminary testing and measurements in stock form and as it sits now.

To begin we will add the beginning Stock ride heights and with the Hotchkis rear lowering springs.

STOCK Ride height measurements were:

* FRONT = 25.5"
* REAR = 27.75"

With HOTCHKIS Lowering springs in rear:

* REAR = 26.75" (Perfect 1" Drop)

Next we SCALED the car on all 4 corners (on 8/30/10). We will talk about front percentage when comparing weight percentages car to car and leave off the rear percent. The general goal with Pro-touring cars is to try and reach 50% front weight, but usually we only get to 53% to 51% at best.

Some like to do basic scaling without driver, just because the driver weight can vary depending on who it is or if there is a passenger. And you don't want to mess with placing 180to 200 lbs of weight in the car every time you do a corner balance.

When trying to even up cross weight you want to get close to 50%.

Here is what the car had at Scaling..

* Full tank of gas just topped off!
* Nothing left inside the cars counsel /glove box, no floor mats.
* Nothing in the trunk.
* Tires at recomended presure.

We started with leveling the scales on the surface to make sure they were level before we started. Then we jacked the car up in the center and lowered it onto the scales front & rear. With the whole car resting on all for individual scales we took measurements.

FRONT "CAR ONLY" :

* Left = 997 lbs
............................Total front "car only" = 1,953 lbs
* Right= 956 lbs

REAR "CAR ONLY"

* Left = 695 lbs
............................ Total Rear "car only" = 1,436 lbs

* Right = 741 lbs

Completed Percentages & Formula:

Front Bias: 1953 / 3389 = .57627 = 57.6%
Rear Bias: 1436 / 3389 = .42372 = 42.4%

The left front and right rear are heavier than they should be. The left side usually is heavier than the right, - "without driver". I will now disconnect one end link on the front and rear anti roll bars when scaling next time, then connect them on the scales and shim them so they don't jack weight from one corner to the other. Raising a spring perch on the LF corner will increase weight on the LF and RR corners.

Our left and right side weights add up to almost even, so by adjusting the heavy corners we should be able to balance them pretty close without driver.

We won't be bothering with scaling the car again untill the new DSE suspension is on then once that is finished we will go back and re-scale the car with exactly the same gas and disconected sway bars and see what we come up with and go from there.

SW.

I'll eat my poop burger when the car is off of stock suspension and brakes. Car does look great though.
Car is now off stock suspension!! :biggrin: Looks like your One step closer to that Poop burger!!!

Brakes are next..... Still running the 255's up front and the 285's out back without the frame notched or shreading any tires!! ;)

Here is the new stance with the DSE suspension!

Front ride height= 24-5/8"
Rear ride height = 26-1/8"

DSC_0274.jpg

Scot W.

Car is now off stock suspension!! :biggrin: Looks like your One step closer to that Poop burger!!!

Brakes are next..... Still running the 255's up front and the 285's out back without the frame notched or shreading any tires!! ;)

Here is the new stance with the DSE suspension!

Front ride height= 24-5/8"
Rear ride height = 26-1/8"

DSC_0274.jpg

Scot W.
Looks great Scot!!! cant wait to see what brakes you install.....6 or 8 piston????

Car looks great... still don't buy that the tires don't scrub up front on the inner fender on compression unless you modified em..... Doesn't matter though, the car looks mean and Im sure it handles great.

Looks great Scot!!! cant wait to see what brakes you install.....6 or 8 piston????
Going with the BAER Track 4 set up with 13" rotors. They are a 4 piston caliper front and rear..

For the minimal road race use it will see the 6 & 8 piston stuff would be a waste of money and a complete overkill.

Scot W.

Car looks great... still don't buy that the tires don't scrub up front on the inner fender on compression unless you modified em..... Doesn't matter though, the car looks mean and Im sure it handles great.
LOL, Yeah I just go around lying to people about the scrubing!! :rolleyes: Believe me, With two people in the car (both over 200lbs) and throwing the car around an Autocross course as hard as the car will take it, If it was scrubing don't you think it would have done damage to the tire?

Do you honestly think that I would just drive my car around like that rubbing the inner fender as you say? Come on! :rolleyes:

Your free to believe what you want, The car will be at BG and Reynolds for you to come up and look for scrubing and inner fender modifications and I will be more than happy to explain to you Why this set up works... Then maybe an appology will be in order next!!

Scot W.

naw the scrubbing that I'm referring to isnt damaging to anything, it would just hit the angled part of the inner fender,.... I wasn't saying it to call you out, just think its amazing that it doesnt scrub on big dips or anything. You did a great job if thats the case.

naw the scrubbing that I'm referring to isnt damaging to anything, it would just hit the angled part of the inner fender,.... I wasn't saying it to call you out, just think its amazing that it doesnt scrub on big dips or anything. You did a great job if thats the case.
That little bit of scrubbing your refeing to is called a "Friendly Rub" in the pro-touring world! The ones that shread tires is considered "Unfriendly"... LOL

Scot W.