How wide of wheel for a 275/60/15?

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
I'm sure it's been beaten to death, but I would like to hear:

1. rubbing issues with your size wheel?

2. BS/spacer used?

3. Lip rolled/frame notch?

4. How does it handle for ya on the street?

5. Rear suspension upgrades?

And while I'm asking tons of questions 6. I heard that spacers make shearing your studs a lot easier....any truth there? TIA to anyone that responds

I run the MT 275/60/15 DR on the stock GN rim with no rubbing issues.

Attachments

• tn_sssss.jpg
    tn_sssss.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 634
Imo

7 will work---8 is better-- and 10 is perfect. 10 in. wide keeps the side wall straight.

im also running them on stock rims they look good and i have no rubbing issues and make it a much smoother ride than my old 235 60 r15

10 is perfect. 10 in. wide keeps the side wall straight.
X2. I used to have some 275-60-15's mounted on 8" wide rims (3.5" rear spacing) and they were ok. Then, after a while, I went with some 10" wide rims (4.5" rear spacing) and re-mounted the same tires (275-60-15) on them and like "LOT" just said, they're p-e-r-f-e-c-t !:smile: Below are two pictures (8" rim left, 10" rim right) showing the difference, using the SAME TIRES! without any rubbing issues. The only thing done on my car is some rolled fender lips (which were already done for slicks clearance), but no frame notch. I'm using a 1/4" spacer on the left side of the car to compensate for the rear axle not being perfectly centered under the car (it rarely is...:rolleyes:).

Claude. :biggrin:

Here are two more pictures...These are the same tires. (Notice that I put the white lettering on the inside on the 10" wide rims as the front ones didn't have any lettering.)

Claude.:wink:

8" rims 3.75" backspacing and airbags.

It'll rub on the fenderwells with fatties in the car and no airbags. :eek: ;)

10psi. in each.

Going back to 275/50/15's and less air and a better look next set of tires. :)

Here are two more pictures...These are the same tires. (Notice that I put the white lettering on the inside on the 10" wide rims as the front ones didn't have any lettering.)

Claude.:wink:

Dang...no rubbing there :eek: Are those stock type springs you're running? I plan to use the moog "lowering" springs. I wonder what impact this has. I've also noticed a very limited amount of options for a 15" - 10" - 4.5"BS What are those you have there?....they are looking pretty good :cool:

X2. I used to have some 275-60-15's mounted on 8" wide rims (3.5" rear spacing) and they were ok. Then, after a while, I went with some 10" wide rims (4.5" rear spacing) and re-mounted the same tires (275-60-15) on them and like "LOT" just said, they're p-e-r-f-e-c-t !:smile: Below are two pictures (8" rim left, 10" rim right) showing the difference, using the SAME TIRES! without any rubbing issues. The only thing done on my car is some rolled fender lips (which were already done for slicks clearance), but no frame notch. I'm using a 1/4" spacer on the left side of the car to compensate for the rear axle not being perfectly centered under the car (it rarely is...:rolleyes:).

Claude. :biggrin:
You hit the nail on the head.
BTW Got anymore pics of your ride with the BS wheels?

8" with 4" backspacing works real well even with lowering springs-I like the look of the 8" over the 10" anyday unless you notch the frame and tuck them in under the fender well-I think a 9" would definently be the best with 4.5 bs.

Dang...no rubbing there :eek: Are those stock type springs you're running? I plan to use the moog "lowering" springs. I wonder what impact this has. I've also noticed a very limited amount of options for a 15" - 10" - 4.5"BS What are those you have there?....they are looking pretty good :cool:

Yep, no rubbing at all. :wink: Believe it or not, the springs are the factory installed original springs (23 years old)...:eek:. The wheels are Billet Specialties "Street Lites".

YouLikeThat said:
Thanks!...As for more pictures, I'll try to take a few more this coming weekend and post them here...
Thanks,

Claude. :)

7 will work---8 is better-- and 10 is perfect. 10 in. wide keeps the side wall straight.

I agree with Lee,
7 works, 8 is better, 9 is perfect, and 10 stretches it just a little. Footprint is supposed to measures 9.? , overall is 10.? . Watch your backspacing with a 9 and 10. Most all 7's and 8's will work.
:D

I agree with Lee,
7 works, 8 is better, 9 is perfect, and 10 stretches it just a little. Footprint is supposed to measures 9.? , overall is 10.? . Watch your backspacing with a 9 and 10. Most all 7's and 8's will work.
:D

"coach", most popular wheels manufacturers do not make 9" wide wheels :rolleyes:...They offer 8" or 10", so this is why I went to 10"...:redface: There are a few companies that can make you some custom 9" wide wheels, but they'll be much more expensive, not sure it's worth going that route...

'bye,

Claude. :smile:

I havent looked for a while, but Centerline and Weld use to make a 9. They were catalog order only. They were not listed on most websights or Summit, but were available. Centerline made a 9.5 for a long time too. Maybe I am just showing my age by remembering those sizes.:eek:

Here's another one I took today...Note that in the second pic, the front end is high because there was no motor in the car when the picture was taken...:redface:

Claude. :smile: