MT 275-60-15 Drag Radials, What Backspacing?

turbonatr

More Cubes!
I'm looking to stick a pair of MT 275-60-15 drag radials under my T. I'd like to do it without the use of spacers or wheel well mods if possible. Those of you running there tires without spacers or mods to your car, what backspacing are you running? Also, how wide are your wheels?

Thanks!

15x8 with 3.5 will rub the wheel lip. I have used 4" that rubbed slightly, 4.5 fits the wheel lip, but is close to the frame. It will clear if you have aluminum drums. I run 15x8 4.5bs with a 3/16 spacer, aluminum drums and a MT 275/60 with no rubbing at all.

Guess this goes to show ya every car is different. Some rub with 3.5 and 4" BS, some don't.

I have a set of Weld 15x8, 4.5" BS wheels I used to run on my old GN with 28x9" slicks. IIRC, I used a 5/16" spacer to keep the from rubbing the frame rails. Instead of shelling out another 450 bucks for a new set with a different BS, I guess I'll just suck it up and use the wheels I have with the spacers. This time with drag radials instead of slicks on my T.

Thanks for the input, guys.

15x8's with 4.5" back setting with 1/4 spacers.

2858384654_ed26f20b43.jpg

I'm running 15x8's w/ 4" bs...Close to the frame, but sits inside the wheelwell nice. Nice tucked look...

07-10-08003.jpg

Yeah what size tires are those my small block regal is gonna be a drag car and it would be awesome if it could sit that way i wanna use billet specialties wheels though....The gn will have 18s tho ;)

well the ideal space for me is 4 1/4" .. 3.5 sticks out to me and most will have air bags to keep em off the lip. look at the car from the rear and you will see what I mean :eek:

Attachments

• MVC-135S.JPG
    MVC-135S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 464
Backsapacing and Measurements...

Yeah what size tires are those my small block regal is gonna be a drag car and it would be awesome if it could sit that way i wanna use billet specialties wheels though....The gn will have 18s tho ;)

Looks like the Billet Specialties wheels are offered in 3.5 and 4.5 backspacing. If your not going to notch your frame rails, 3.5 is not going to put the tire inside the wheelwell. The 4.5's are probably going to rub the frame rails, you'll probably want to do the 4.5 and have to use a spacer to move the sidewall off the frame. This would let you do a 275/60 and keep the sidewall tucked. I took some time and did quite a bit of measuring to get the biggest tire inside the wheeltub and still be able to lower the car. I did have to cut the wheelwell lips off to allow the sidewall to clear with the car lowered.
I used a straight edge on the outer sidewall of the tires at ride height, I was able to cut the wheelwell lip to clear. This allows the car to squat and the sidewalls to clear without rubbing...John

I took some time and did quite a bit of measuring to get the biggest tire inside the wheeltub and still be able to lower the car. I did have to cut the wheelwell lips off to allow the sidewall to clear with the car lowered.
I used a straight edge on the outer sidewall of the tires at ride height, I was able to cut the wheelwell lip to clear. This allows the car to squat and the sidewalls to clear without rubbing...John

Nice job John, car looks awsome.