Its Back!!!! TWINZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

How tight of a converter do you think you can get away with and still be streetable? Nice to see people that are willing to think outside the box.

Thanks for taking the time to post results.:)

Happy double spooling.

Mike Barnard

With stockers, Id say 2800-3000. We have a 3400 in this car and it comes on crazy fast.

Nice work

Wow, pretty impressive numbers. Jay should do a custom set up for the slow hot air cars.:biggrin: a custom set of headers downpipe and up-pipe, his ISAC controller, and a big 6262 turbo:eek:, throw in some custom porting on the intake. I am sure there is some hot air fans out there that are tired of seeing all the hot airs converted over to intercooled.

Sorry Jay, just had to throw this on here, always look forward to seeing companies thinking outside the box.:biggrin:

George

Wow, pretty impressive numbers. Jay should do a custom set up for the slow hot air cars.:biggrin: a custom set of headers downpipe and up-pipe, his ISAC controller, and a big 6262 turbo:eek:, throw in some custom porting on the intake. I am sure there is some hot air fans out there that are tired of seeing all the hot airs converted over to intercooled.

Sorry Jay, just had to throw this on here, always look forward to seeing companies thinking outside the box.:biggrin:

George

:wink:

How about some part throttle driving around video, in car or out.......wanna here those turbos spool! I would imagine twins with an open down pipe sounds amazing.

The block is girdled and the heads are ported iron, thats about it.

The car runs on c16 most of the time.

Nothing out of the norm, its a pretty simple setup. Stock girdled bottom end and ported iron heads.

Im going to make a decent video showing the system off as soon as he gets the bung installed. This is such a neat setup and it makes the power. My goal with this setup was to have something you could put on an otherwise stock car and run mid 11s or faster. Add in heads and 10s are no problem.

We had a car in here a few months ago that made 489ish at the wheels and ran 10.40s so this setup should run 10s easily.

THIS car ran 10.30s with a GTQ71 and only made 509 at the wheels.

28psi, 22 degrees, 515hp

:wink:
Sounds like it's a built car to me...:cool:
Ported irons, hyd roller cam(unknown specs), injectors, F.A.S.T, 3400 stall, Girdle(or Main Caps), TRW forged pistons, larger throttle body and doghouse FMIC, C-16. The stock rods can take it and you have had cars go faster with the stock crank. I can see why the 71gtq spooled slow if you used the same 3400 stall converter. Can you post some datalogs with both setups and a dyno log with the 71gtq?

Thanks for keeping us updated. The vid was cool too!:cool:

I think the numbers are fooling you. We had a car make 490 at the wheels and run 10.40s. We're 100hp higher. This HP level is definetely capable of 9s and I don't think the shortblock would stand it.

700-715HP at the flywheel is the est. I came up with. What part are you afraid of breaking? Is it capped or girdled?

700-715HP at the flywheel is the est. I came up with. What part are you afraid of breaking? Is it capped or girdled?

It has MANY passes on it... It is far from fresh... I don't want another blown motor is the main thing;)

Tony only made one kit. It went to me originally and then he asked for it back and promised to supply me with another kit. He never did. Big surprise there.

It went from me to Lonnie Diers and he had success with it and then I think Archie ended up with it and still has whats left of it.

You could turn down the boost and make safe power. We could have made more but I didnt want to push the block to destruction and at 589 at the wheels, that was a definite possibility.

TurboFabrictor's setup is sweet. If we do any further kits, the turbos would be similar to his location wise. Thats how the original Project X was supposed to have been set up.

Thanks, Jay
My car seems to have poor boost response, though. The lag is noticeable. I need to spend some time with it this spring and work out a few tuning issues. I installed a B to B FAST and need to tune it. I also have an oil leak at the girdle I need to get to. I'll pull the engine and check a few things out while I'm at it. It does make just under 600hp at 19.5 lbs. of boost, though. (127+mph in a 3875 lb. car.) It really wants to pull through 7000 RPM. Lots of exhaust flow with two turbine housings, eh?;) I have a TON of overtime facing me (haven't had a day off yet this year) and a "few" engines/chassis to build for other folks that take priority. (not to mention family)
One change I would make to my headers is to reduce the size of the collectors (turbo inlets) down to 2" instead of 2.25". 2.25" is way over kill unless you are making more than 800hp. There is lots of room to mount the turbos in tandem like I did, and keep all the AC, PS, ALT. My system is completely bolt-on and I only had to drill two hole in the core support to mount the intercoolers. (two stockers welded together) For the right price, my system is for sale. PM if anyine is interested.

Thanks, Jay
My car seems to have poor boost response, though. The lag is noticeable. I need to spend some time with it this spring and work out a few tuning issues. I installed a B to B FAST and need to tune it. I also have an oil leak at the girdle I need to get to. I'll pull the engine and check a few things out while I'm at it. It does make just under 600hp at 19.5 lbs. of boost, though. (127+mph in a 3875 lb. car.) It really wants to pull through 7000 RPM. Lots of exhaust flow with two turbine housings, eh?;) I have a TON of overtime facing me (haven't had a day off yet this year) and a "few" engines/chassis to build for other folks that take priority. (not to mention family)
One change I would make to my headers is to reduce the size of the collectors (turbo inlets) down to 2" instead of 2.25". 2.25" is way over kill unless you are making more than 800hp. There is lots of room to mount the turbos in tandem like I did, and keep all the AC, PS, ALT. My system is completely bolt-on and I only had to drill two hole in the core support to mount the intercoolers. (two stockers welded together) For the right price, my system is for sale. PM if anyine is interested.

600hp on the dyno or at the flywheel?

If we do any further kits, the turbos would be similar to his location wise. Thats how the original Project X was supposed to have been set up.
Really? That's interesting. I wasn't sure if his particular setup would be optimal. I don't remember him making all that much power with his? Maybe im wrong. Seems like his would be much easier to reproduce tho then the other one. Sure does look purdy.....:)

newb question here guys. But what are the advantages of running twin turbos? And when Jay said it was running at 28 psi was that 14 at each turbo or 28 at each turbo?

newb question here guys. But what are the advantages of running twin turbos? And when Jay said it was running at 28 psi was that 14 at each turbo or 28 at each turbo?

On this particular car, we gained a faster spool time and a more efficient setup.
28psi is measured at the intake manifold. Its a collective number. Remember, boost is a measure of restriction.

Jeff

thanks, plus it looks awesome. Maybe if they send me out for another 6 month tour and get some of that tax free Arab money this would be something to consider :biggrin:.
Now you can tell all those ppl that thought the twin turbo was an option on these cars that yours is fully loaded :D
Any ball park figures on how much this would run installed with a set of small turbos and tuning? 10-11K?

I love seeing things that are outside of the box but still possible for me to purchase for my own car without having to do major fabbing. Bolt on & Plug 'N Play are my favorite four words. Subscribed

thanks, plus it looks awesome. Maybe if they send me out for another 6 month tour and get some of that tax free Arab money this would be something to consider :biggrin:.
Now you can tell all those ppl that thought the twin turbo was an option on these cars that yours is fully loaded :D
Any ball park figures on how much this would run installed with a set of small turbos and tuning? 10-11K?

It depends on what you already have on your car but if you supply turbos, have a front mount and the fuel system to support this kit, we could do a kit installed, tuned, out the door for about 4 grand.

Ive told the people that have PMd that we'll do 2 kits for around $3500-3600 just to get a couple out there, after that the price goes up. We have to build it on a car so its really no skin off our teeth if its your car or someone else's so doing the installation and tuning is no biggie.

Theres so many alternatives now to run speed density with the stock ECM, the price for admission is a lot lower. Im fairly certain you could move the MAF before the throttle body and use an Extender chip and it work well also.