Looking to buy but have questions

jkelley82

Hello all, I am looking picking up an 87 and came across one in my budget but something seems off. I will send pictures soon but lets see if i can describe it..... The instrument cluster does not seem correct. the numbers on the one i am looking at are about half the size of every other GN I have seen. I can see the GHOSTING of the numbering behind the new numbers. Its almost like someone painted over the original and put smaller numbers on. It also shows 140mph.

There are numerous speedo replacement overlays available. It is very popular to change the whole cluster out too.

I did some more research and now im curious what it takes to recalibrate the speedo back to stock and what it would take to remove the overlay? if i get this car, i would like to take it back to stock.

When I did my overlay I sent my entire cluster to Casper's and they recalibrated it. There are gears inside they can change from my understanding to convert it correctly to the new indicated speed.
I would imagine that the reverse could easily be done too.

Normal cluster mod, most are 85mph and then the few digital ones. Keep it in there if you buy it, you'll see how quickly 85mph comes up. Hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 20
Hello all, I am looking picking up an 87 and came across one in my budget but something seems off. I will send pictures soon but lets see if i can describe it..... The instrument cluster does not seem correct. the numbers on the one i am looking at are about half the size of every other GN I have seen. I can see the GHOSTING of the numbering behind the new numbers. Its almost like someone painted over the original and put smaller numbers on. It also shows 140mph.
Dont bother taking those pics, thats just cosmetic crap, get a picture of the trunk spid lable and match it to the Vin