Its Back!!!! TWINZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

The 600 hp number is based on the ol' Moroso Speed Calculator. MPH. vs curb weight. On only 19 lbs of boost, it pulls HARD for a bunch of crap I had laying around the shop. There is a TON of time in my set-up. I, too, feel that a Translator and 3.5" MAF would work as good as a speed density ECM, too. I have a guy running 10.2 @ 134.8 on 3.5" MAF and Gen I translator. Any faster and it would require a certified chassis. Boy have these cars come a LONG way since the early days of being happy with a 11.77 on stock injectors, stock turbo, stock intercooler. Back when the biggest injector you could find was a 31 lb. TomCo.:biggrin:
Martyrs we were, Jay! No one liked turbochargers. Everyone hated turbo V6's because they would beat up on big blocks and then drive home with the kids in the back and the AC on. Now you talk with the same guys that hated you, and they say "Man!...I've always loved them cars!!" Ya Right!

But what are the advantages of running twin turbos? And when Jay said it was running at 28 psi was that 14 at each turbo or 28 at each turbo?

From what I understand it has to do with back pressure. If you are runnig 30psi of boost to the intake, you have something like 45psi of back pressure between the heads and turbo. Somebody quoted Duttwieler as saying that when you get the exh back pressure down close to the intake boost, you start to make some real HP. This also ties into not needing a cam with as much exh duration. (cam experts jump in at any time)

Each turbo is producing 28psi not 14psi..

The pressure is the same but you have 2x the volume of air (cfm).

So much for stock turbos not producing past 18psi ??/?

Also, from what I understand, the original Project X never made a full pass down the track. Jay got the kit first and that car blew up in the pits. We put it on my car but forgot it had a prexisting electrical problem and couldn't get it to drive down the road so we gave up and shipped it to Lonnie.

Lonnie never made a full pass. Correct me Lonnie but I think you blew up 3 trans at the track and ony got a good 1/8mile time. I think we used this to get a convertion to a 1/4mile time.

The kit was only tested with stock turbos that I know of. Tony talked about using other turbos but the project never progressed to that point. And with the power that stock turbos can make, why??

From what I understand it has to do with back pressure. If you are runnig 30psi of boost to the intake, you have something like 45psi of back pressure between the heads and turbo. Somebody quoted Duttwieler as saying that when you get the exh back pressure down close to the intake boost, you start to make some real HP. This also ties into not needing a cam with as much exh duration. (cam experts jump in at any time)

Each turbo is producing 28psi not 14psi..

The pressure is the same but you have 2x the volume of air (cfm).

So much for stock turbos not producing past 18psi ??/?

Also, from what I understand, the original Project X never made a full pass down the track. Jay got the kit first and that car blew up in the pits. We put it on my car but forgot it had a prexisting electrical problem and couldn't get it to drive down the road so we gave up and shipped it to Lonnie.

Lonnie never made a full pass. Correct me Lonnie but I think you blew up 3 trans at the track and ony got a good 1/8mile time. I think we used this to get a convertion to a 1/4mile time.

The kit was only tested with stock turbos that I know of. Tony talked about using other turbos but the project never progressed to that point. And with the power that stock turbos can make, why??

That about sums it up. You greatly reduce the backpressure with twins and also eliminate exhaust reverb between banks.

This setup makes insane power and is just plain cool. We'll have it at the TurboBuick.Com Nationals and might even make a pass in it.

BTW, we lowered the boost this morning to see how far it would go. Minimum boost with this setup is 11 PSI. At 11 PSI, it made 310 horsepower at the wheels.

Sorry it took so long to post, but we had storms last night and the roads were still wet this morning.
Dont mind the rev limiter. For some reason the trans decided not to complete the 1-2 shift. The car is on the lift now.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCGNnYfcl0[/YOUTUBE]

Jeff

so what size turbos would go along with a rebuilt .30 over block forged pistons, ported heads, and 210/215 roller with about 5k miles on the rebuild? two 49's? or smaller?

Twin turbo street car and old school Metallica, does it get any better?:eek:

so what size turbos would go along with a rebuilt .30 over block forged pistons, ported heads, and 210/215 roller with about 5k miles on the rebuild? two 49's? or smaller?

Stock.. we made 589 at the wheels. We could have made more. How much do you really need? We made 589 with zero tuning. Same program that was in the car with the GTQ71.

can you get the stockers new these days? If not what would be a direct replacment for them, TE34 maybe?

Put that in Shanes car in his Avitar and you got a deal:biggrin:

Thats probably the car a kit will end up on for sure... I am NOT caging that car no matter how much Jay tries to talk me into it:biggrin:

It would have to be a BIG CHECK, I love that car:cool:

I blew that motor too;)

Thats probably the car a kit will end up on for sure... I am NOT caging that car no matter how much Jay tries to talk me into it:biggrin:

It would have to be a BIG CHECK, I love that car:cool:

I blew that motor too;)

I knew that was your baby:cool:

Whats up with teh tranny in the T? Find anything out today?

Man that is sweet tried to convince my wife to let me take out a loan to build my engine and add one of these but Im not having any luck. If I woldnt have blown the engine I would be on my way to your shop for one.

I knew that was your baby:cool:

Whats up with teh tranny in the T? Find anything out today?

Its going to have to be taken apart. We didnt build it, we dont know whats in it, and we are not sure what would cause the problem. Old Age?
We have something we can put in it for the TB.com meet up :wink:

Jeff

Its going to have to be taken apart. We didnt build it, we dont know whats in it, and we are not sure what would cause the problem. Old Age?
We have something we can put in it for the TB.com meet up :wink:

Jeff

Awesome, we need more road footage/burnouts:cool::biggrin: