Beech Bend Flooding

Maybe this will send more people to Norwalk. I know there were some people that had to choose one or the other, because they are a week apart.

Talk about mother nature......on our local news sunday nite they were showing the massive damage that hit Nashville and surrounding areas and I told my wife heck Bowling Green is only about 35 minutes up the road I wonder if it hit that area also....

Seems bad weather always hits that area this time of year. Some of you may recall a few years back again a week prior to the GS Nats they got hit with that massive baseball size hail stones (rocks) that looked like someone with a gun shot windows out and damaged buildings in and around BG.

I see several issues: Posting of the upcoming weather at this point shows rain next Monday and Tuesday for Bowling Green....not a good sign.

Rushing water moves stuff....no idea if the track surface stayed in tact under the water.
Besides the mud issues.....raw sewage could be floating around. At the very least they would have to bring in a bunch of port potties......

Its a real shame with this being the 30th anniversary....I know this it makes little sense to get there early next week! Plus we have Don Garlits coming.....

Tough call no matter which way the call goes....

Anyrate, best to bring at the very least 4 wheel drive vehicles....

My buddy Lloyd Tarter who used to own Bowling Green Customs drove out there earlier today (Monday) and says damage is heavy as pictures show. Water is still rising and expected to start receeding tomorrow.

I m sure every effort will be made to get the facility up and running as quick as possible because so much financially is at stake with various events that are scheduled.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Right from Beech Bend Raceway's web site today.....

Monday May 3rd

All Drag races have been canceled due to flood conditions. We hope to be running by May 14th but at this time it is to early to say if that will be possible. The Barren River reached an all time high today of nearly 44 feet causing a tremendous amount of damage and creating a huge cleanup which will start tomorrow.

Well it gives em 10 days to get it together... already bought non refundable tickets so I'm going. With two days of racing.. Fri and Sat., plus the Friday car show, it still is the biggest Buick get together I've ever seen.

Your not getting that mess together in 10 days! :eek: I think they are lucky if they get that up and running in 2 weeks or more! I would assume they have to bring in insurance company to assess the damage to get compensated and we all know insurance company's don't work in 10 days!

i live one hour away in clarksville tn and i work in nashville...it's ugly but im still hoping for the best....

Alright Jim, quit being a nasayer. Owner himself said it 'would take 20-25 guys with wash wagons to clean it up ;) Also said clean up starts tomorrow on their website. Sounds like he is more interested in getting it done to get the revenue coming in then to worry about waiting for insurance adjusters - do you know if he even has flood insurance?... most don't. People in the midwest are more about getting it done than talking about getting it done.

Alright Jim, quit being a nasayer. Owner himself said it 'would take 20-25 guys with wash wagons to clean it up ;) Also said clean up starts tomorrow on their website. Sounds like he is more interested in getting it done to get the revenue coming in then to worry about waiting for insurance adjusters - do you know if he even has flood insurance?... most don't. People in the midwest are more about getting it done than talking about getting it done.

No hill for a hillstepper!

Alright Jim, quit being a nasayer. Owner himself said it 'would take 20-25 guys with wash wagons to clean it up ;) Also said clean up starts tomorrow on their website.
They cannot start real cleanup till the water recedes to a certain point and its not supposes to peak till tomorrow.

Right from Beech Bend Raceway's web site today.....

Monday May 3rd

All Drag races have been canceled due to flood conditions. We hope to be running by May 14th but at this time it is to early to say if that will be possible. The Barren River reached an all time high today of nearly 44 feet causing a tremendous amount of damage and creating a huge cleanup which will start tomorrow.

Hope doesn't mean WILL

Its gonna be a mess. I think id be a little worried about taking them fast cars down the track. With more rain showing up there this Friday, i find it hard to believe everything is going to back to normal by next week.

I live about 3 hours south in Jackson, TN and we had flooding like none of us has ever seen as well - we actually got 15 inches of rain in areas. Sinkholes, bridges washed out, homes flooded, businesses flooded as well as a few random tornadoes for good measure. Needless to say, last weekend was a wild one around here. I'm as bummed as anyone about Beech Bend and don't mean to be a skeptic but I honestly don't see them pulling this off in 10 days.

IF the water recedes and IF they can clean it up it will still be a mess to some degree. Remember, the electrical panels, electronics, track dryers, rest rooms, concession stands, septic systems, scales, etc. are under about 15 ft of water and who knows what all will be messed up after the water recedes. Sinkholes forming also become a big concern after this much water has been standing and there's no good way to tell where they might happen. BG has had issues in the past couple of years with water seeping back up through the track on the big end and shut down areas after heavy rains. As mentioned in a post above, the shut down area wasn't in the greatest of shape before this happened. After this, I think the best we could hope for would be 1/8th mile racing for safety reasons.

Best thing everyone can do now is to be patient and wait. Hopefully they will be able to make a rational decision toward the end of the week.

I personally have been in several flood situations just like this and had to rush to get things cleaned up in a weeks time when I worked at a theam park. So I know all thats involved with properly cleaning up contaminated flood water. There isn't a chance in hell that BG will be all cleaned up and ready for customers in 10 day's PERIOD!! The clean up can only happen when the water is all down and from the pictures yesterday it was at 10-15 feet high and that would probly take a week for it to just go down!!.. Even IF the water was all gone RIGHT NOW it would take a hell of a lot more than 20-25 guy's to properly clean and disinfect everything in 7 day's, The disinfecting part is because of all the pastures around there That water is contaminated!! Not to mention what this water has wrecked like electical and such from the score boards down to the refridgerators in the consessions. Stuff with electrical boards may dry out and run but they won't run long!! It's a sad loss and hope they get everything cleaned up soon but if I was Richard Lassiter and the GSCA I would already be on the phone to Reynolds "Silver Dollar Raceway" to make alternate plans in a ditch effort to save the 30th Buick GS Nationals... If we don't hear anything from GSCA in a day or so I am canceling hotel reserv, and planing another trip...

This is a bad situation but an action plan needs to be in place just for this reason..

Scot W.

The water you see is the Barren river. It runs right along the park boundary. With the amount of rain that has fallen, there is no place else for it to go. I don't see this going down enough for the cleanup to even begin.

The weather channel states this morning:

THE*FLOOD*WARNING*CONTINUES*FOR*THE*BARREN*RIVER*AT*BOWLING*GREEN.***AT**9:45*PM*MONDAY*THE*STAGE*WAS*42.9*FEET.***FLOOD*STAGE*IS*28.0*FEET.***MODERATE*FLOODING*IS*OCCURRING*AND*MODERATE*FLOODING*IS*FORECAST.***FORECAST...THE*RIVER*WILL*CONTINUE*TO*FALL*TO*BELOW*FLOOD*STAGE*BY*LATE*WEDNESDAY*MORNING.***IMPACT...AT*43.0*FEET...APPROACHES*TO*KY*185*BRIDGE*ARE*FLOODED.