Alkycontrol GN kits no more

Kirban posted in his news letter that they are not on back order but discontinued forever. They are done along with the supply GM had in stock. I'm sure someone will pick up the aftermarket on them but who knows how long before that happens. Those tanks (when using them as antifreeze overflow tanks) get nasty quick. They get brown fast. My alky tank still looks perfect after a few years. I bought 9 sets of both washer and overflow tanks over the years. I guess it paid off finally :cool:

I havent had that news yet. I contacted my parts guy and they dont have that answer. If I had to guess, probably so. When I get it in writing, then it is what it is.

I had been sitting on a bunch as well.. but they have been leaving and finding homes :D

There seems to be a lot of space between the core support and the header panel behind the passenger's side headlights, what about there?

If you're moulding a tank you could do something like the newer cars (like the WW resivoir on my 99 silverado. The main tank is hanging below the core support but there's a long neck up to the engine compartment.

You mean like this,
Alkycontrol Methanol Injection 99+ GM Truck Tank :eBay Motors (item 220318304063 end time Jul-22-09 15:53:41 PDT)

Gotta see if it fits..

Not sure if this helps but I had Julio mod up a DSM washer bottle and I snuck it behind the header panel. I can still fill it up pretty easily ( with a funnel ) and it's stealthy, I tell everyone I'm filling up on headlight fluid. ;)

But it's not for those who hate zip ties. I eventually redid it in black and cut off the ends due to rigged up chaos.

Attachments

• GN alky location 2 sm.jpg
    GN alky location 2 sm.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 869
  • GN alky location 1 sm.jpg
    GN alky location 1 sm.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 894
  • GN alky location 3 sm.jpg
    GN alky location 3 sm.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 861
  • GN alky location 4 sm.jpg
    GN alky location 4 sm.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 857
Sure would be nice to have a 3-4 gallon tank in that area behind the header pannel. With a low level lite it shouldn't be that big of a deal on checking the level.

...The Metco piece is nice, but I dont know on its availability...

The Metco spare tire well cell is available from guys like G-Body Parts, Cotton's, Hartline, etc. And Metco.
When properly vented and installed, it exceeds SFI specs.

HTH...

You have to do a fuel cell if doing it in the trunk. The Metco piece is nice, but I dont know on its availability. Jazz racing makes 1,3,4 gallon SFI cells.

When a fuel goes in the trunk, I tend to favor an SFI cell. I also like to do tank venting externally.. so there can be no fumes inside the trunk. Pump should be mounted externally as well in case of leak. There is a thread floating around here where there are pixs of the metco installed.

I guess anything can be done cheaper.. like a generic plastic tank, plastic lines, no filtering, etc. But i've never been about that with a system with very high pressure and a flammable liquid. Currently the cost of a cell and hoses is in the 300-350 range plus electronics/pump.

Just thinking out loud. :smile:

Availability on the Metco's are just fine... We plan to have them as an option with our kit...

I am watching and don't like cheap shots:wink:

Have you alchy kit suppliers tried looking at other vehicles for over flow tanks?
LMCTruck .com has parts for alot of years of GM trucks. Some of the overflow tanks can be had for around $25, and with all of the different years and styles of trucks, you should be able to find something that is acceptable, with mounting tabs where you need them. And, if it is one of the older models, then it has probably already gone to the after market, so you wouldn't have to worry if the General was going to cut production.

Julio is the man and will figure out something that is clean and well fit.
Whatever the new design is I would like to see more capacity if possible.

Have you alchy kit suppliers tried looking at other vehicles for over flow tanks?
LMCTruck .com has parts for alot of years of GM trucks. Some of the overflow tanks can be had for around $25, and with all of the different years and styles of trucks, you should be able to find something that is acceptable, with mounting tabs where you need them. And, if it is one of the older models, then it has probably already gone to the after market, so you wouldn't have to worry if the General was going to cut production.

The problem is two fold. The fender is made in a specific angle mold and that means the tank has to have that same pitch if it goes mounted there. Then there is the "look" it needs to appear it belongs there.

The tanks from the 4 door g-bodies may be another possibility. Down side its smaller..

Thanks for the tip.

Here are a couple of pictures of my trunk mounted system. I really like this setup, it holds a gallon and a half of alky and is totally programable with the knobs on the controller, or you can super fine tweek it with a laptop and recurve the whole fuel map. Another nice feature is you have multiple referance points you can use to turn the system on.

Attachments

• alky1.jpg
    alky1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 737
  • alky2.jpg
    alky2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 718
Well Not that tank exactly but the concept. If you could fit the tank in that space and run the filler up through the hole in the header it might work. The downside would be it would make checking the level hard since the tank is out of site.

So I've been thinking this through and I see a problem with mounting a tank between the core support and the header. In the event off a hit to the front I'm betting it would pretty easy to crack the tank in the event of a front end hit. Not so much a concern when it's filled with anti freeze or winsheild washer fluid but a flammable fuel not so much.

The passenger's side under the battery would be protected by the frame rail and still lots of space.

The bungies were the mounting system that came with the unit, you could use metal straps. But this car is never raced. If I want to go racing I have an eight second tube chassis 64 GTO.
The controler is mounted to nut serts that are cast into the tank and uses machine screws to secure it, it's not a bad setup, and the pump mounts the same way with rubber isolaters to control vibration. At least the alky is not under the hood away from red hot exhaust headers and secured with more than two screws screwed into a plastic inner fender.

Ive installed one of those kits. We made brackets for it but all in all it wasnt a bad kit. The reservoir design in the way it holds the pump was pretty cool.

The coolest features are being able to map the fuel curve throughout the intire range of use, no matter how you reference the turn on point. And with multiple turn on points you can tailer the system to your combo and it's needs even better than a system that only uses a map sensor for reference.
You can use TPS, coolent sensor, air temp sensor, MAP, or just plain boost signal off the manifold. or any combination of the formentioned. Way cool unit!

I don't think bungy cords would pass tech at out track :eek:

It suprised me one day about 2 years ago in new york when the tech inspector broke my balls about the reservoir being used as a fuel cell. He said it was not legal since the alky was being used as a motor fuel and it needed to be in an approved cell. He let me run anyway but warned that it could be a problem in the future. A one gallon cell behind the bumper is the best bet imo.