What did you do to your GN/TR today?

Well, the motor is in the car, the transmission is at the shop getting built to support the power. We ran into a little snag, I bought a set of 72lb injectors from Tom and he discovered he only had five. Thanks to the help of Cal Hartline confirming two different brands of injectors wasnt a good idea we tracked down an exact match. He flowed the injectors and all is well now. Everything is pretty much ready for the transmission to be put back in. Once the tranny is installed it shouldnt be more than an afternoon before the car can be started and a fat tune can be put in the fast box for the break in period. :cool:

WISH THIS IS WHAT I WAS DOING.:frown:

Finally dropped my stock headers off to get welded up. NASA is doing them!! That and a NASA sticker should give me 25 hp!!! :D

Finally got it all together a couple weeks ago and it runs sweet:

1. New Motor (complete with ported heads)
2. New Turbo
3. New Tranny
4. Not Happy Wifey

It ran a best of 11.22 @123 mph on the old combo and new set up should give me 25-35 more horsepower. So anyway with that in mind I decide to dump the 12 year old Dunlops (afraid to make another pass on them) and spring for a new set of Firehawks.

The saleman says "those will give you much better traction than those old tires you had" as I'm backing it out of the bay (no one drives my car).

All the mechanics are watching and listening.

I could not resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way, new Firestones go up in smoke just as easily as 12 year old Dunlops.

Drove by the Firestone Tire Store today and the black streaks are still there with a short skip when it hit second and then continues.

Mikey

ACrepair006.jpg

Yesterday I did some detailing under hood, not sure I am happy with this pic but oh well, here it is.

Still working on cleaning.

After three large bottles of carb cleaner my intercooler is ALMOST clean. I found what looked to be part of a stock MAF sensor inside of it. :eek: Guess that would be why the fins of the turbo have a few dings. Hopefully that doesn't hurt power too much, if it does just gives me a reason to buy a real turbo I guess. :biggrin:

As a side note: if you don't tighten valve cover bolts, they leak. When I went to pull the valve covers to see why they were leaking none of the bolts required a wrench to be removed.

Finally got the motor out after about a week of fiddling with it in my free time. Started tearing it down yesterday afternoon expecting to find mass headgasket carnage. Much to my surprise there was minimal damage to the gaskets. Minor bulging in a couple places. Everything on the top end looks good so far. Gonna flip it over tomorrow and pull the pan. I'll inspect what I can see without pulling the caps but I'm very confident I caught it in time before anything got tore up. Oil looked good and filter was clean.

Surprise! When I pulled the heads, I wiped the tops of the pistons off and saw a .030 stamped on the pistons. This is the first time I've had the heads off. Guess I can't call it a stock motor. I'll try to get some pics of the headgaskets for everyones analysis.

Steve

F body front sway bar swap so I can save 7lbs, ya. :eek:

Took off the rear pinion snubber, ya I know.

I just got done taking my power seat switch apart and cleaning all the contacts and put fresh grease back. Now I don't have to sit against the steering wheel anymore.

Should be good for another 20 yrs or so.

Billy

doing some work and cleaning in the engine bay and got under the GN and took off the oxidation on the rear end cover. Have no idea why there's oxidation on the cover, since the car is never driven in the rain and always kept in the garage.

1111copy.jpg

photo-1.jpg

This last weekend I changed out my roller cam on my new engine.:mad: I decided I should buy too big of cam for my combo and was not happy with it at all. Sure once it got going it was great but not to my liking. Got a total of about 50 miles on it and then I go take it apart again! I guess i should have listened to everybodys recommendations to begin with!

All I had left in the car was just the longblock. Damn I could have pulled this thing out and just replaced the cam on the stand.. It would have been faster!:eek:

Going out to drive it tonite and give her a lil boost and see what happens.

Had fun this last weekend.

Put new Bilsteins rear shocks some new rear Billet BMR lower Control arms and a Full Throttle 1-3/8" rear sway bar. Took a little longer then usual when you wrenchin solo. Like it the rear is nice, tight and solid.. them old stockers arms and sway bar are pathetic compared to these replacement parts.

Had Jack Cotton and his crew replace the rear main seal , install oil pressure and water temp gauges and fix the high blower on my a/c...better them than me:)

Its always something. Took the car out for a little test drive last nite with my new roller cam, now I notice the voltage reading on my scan tool is jumping all over the place.

Im headed out to the garage shortly to take the alternator off and get it rebuilt again! Im starting to think the volt booster keeps killing my alternator!:mad: This is the third time in a couple of years Ive had to get this thing rebuilt.

Its always something. Took the car out for a little test drive last nite with my new roller cam, now I notice the voltage reading on my scan tool is jumping all over the place.

Im headed out to the garage shortly to take the alternator off and get it rebuilt again! Im starting to think the volt booster keeps killing my alternator!:mad: This is the third time in a couple of years Ive had to get this thing rebuilt.

My alternator has been in there for 11 years with my volt booster and no problems.

Mikey

Put the engine and transmission back in the car. Even though I know the "new" transmission is junk, I had to put it in there to prove it. It was behind the engine when it blew, I suspect one of the reasons was it over-revved from the slippage. Fluid stinks and smells like melting plastic even though the transmission has less than 100 miles on it.

gn_engine_071308.jpg

gn_new_engine01_072008.jpg

gn_new_engine02-072008.jpg

Jim

I thought just maybe I would hear my car fire up at the one year mark of when I blew it up but nope. When priming the engine an oil leak was discovered. Closer inspection showed more trauma to the oil pan. The motor was shipped complete and the gorillas that shipped it decided to ram it with a forklift. This knocked the motor off the pedistals so now it was resting on the oil pan. The pan was dented so badly the drain plug was touching the pick up. This was fixed before the motor went in the car. Now the motor is in and getting ready only to see a big puddle of oil under the car. Pull the pan again to see back by the main cap, the lip of the pan was been smashed, also from this shipping fiasco. Its now fixed so hopefully, just maybe, if nothing else breaks, I could hear my car run again in a few days time.