? twin scroll turbochargers and my thoughts this morning

TURBO E38

Is there a twinn scroll turbo for the buick gn? for a 3 bolt single inlet housing/

OR would it take a special 4 bolt custom headers with 2 tubes going to the fast spool quicker scroll and 4 tubes feeding the lower restriction top end scroll for the turbine housing? Would it mean dual delta gates with a special boost controller to dump the gates in a non-linear fashion?

I know the VOLVO 3.0T now uses a twin scroll single turbo instead of the dual set up on the earlier 2.8T6 and I think the 2.9T6 engines.

THEY said the the twin scroll inlet housing is divided with 3 cylinders feeding the quick spool scroll and the other three feeding the top end bigger scroll.

IF we did employ a twin scroll single turbocharger on our engines , it would most likely be a 4 bolt T-4 divided inlet and special (TWIN SCROLL HEADERS) would have to be installed on our engines for it all to work properly. SOUNDS LIKE THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN on a multiple scale, but may happen for someone who has unlimited funds and a lot of free time, like Jay Leno.

REGARDS, TURBO E38

ANY discussion on this subject on this board? IS Jay's Idea a twin scroll or a variable geometry? are the headers special? how is his set up wastegated?

THank you for your interest, Regards, TURBO E38

On a larger scale I've switched to a split turbine housing with a spool valve. It does work. :biggrin:

Why would you need a dual scroll with a 3 bolt? Those small turbos are easily spooled with the correct converter. If your going to a dual scroll your target better be over 1000hp or your way off base in your combo

I am not after MONSTER HP , but INSTANT TRANSIENT RESPONCE

CHARLIE DON'T SURF AND I DON'T DRAG

I was Just wondering , and from all the replies it looks like 10 second or less is what your saying to even consider a dual scroll, Monster turbos for high hp do have a lot of inertia, and make the car a slug and a gas hog on the street with a high stall TC .I DON't LIKE LOOSE NON LOCK-UP TORQUE CONVERTERS THAT WHIMP OUT UP TOP

I am talking about a street car, and 1000 hp is to much for the street in my opinion.

YOU are correct about a T-3 (3) bolt , it has a small inlet and is a big time back pressure above a certain flow rate.

(2) ball bearing TA-49 size T-3's would be Ideal for a 500 Hp+ street car but a pain to plumb on buick V6, THIS HAS BEEN DONE MORE THAN A FEW TIMES, AND STILL REMAINS A PAIN IN THE POCKET BOOK.

A perfect balance 4 liter DOHC inline 6 with a rectragular flange dual scroll turbo dropped into a turbo regal would be awesome, if it was also direct injection, It would be to good to be true. AND WILL MOST LIKELY NEVER HAPPEN

THE RICE COOKER EVO TEN cranks out 500 NO TORQUE Horsepower with that 4 banger 2 liter and a aftermarket dual scroll turbocharger with required special header, THIS IS HAPPENING NOW.

ARE CARS ARE OLD, AND SO ARE THE Ist and 2nd generation turbo regal addicts, A 3rd younger generation is starting to take a liking to these cars, but before before long, eveything for our cars is going to be an aftermarket copy. LETS hope that the Intercooled Buick Grand National CONTINUES IT's Legendary abillity to generate interest and admiration for years to come! THIS MIGHT HAPPEN BUT I DOUBT IT, in 10 years, ELECTRIC CARS WILL BE KICKIN A$$ ON THE STREET AND DRAG STRIPS, NO EXAUST RUMBLE, JUST THE COOL SOUND OF IT's POWERTRAIN, THE HIGH WAYS WILL HAVE INDUCTIVE COUPLED CHARGE AS YOU DRIVE SPUR ROADS FOR A QUICK REPLINSHMENT OF ENGERGY , A EASY PASS TYPE OF DEVICE WILL BILL YOU FOR YOUR QUICK CHARGE, YOUR SPEED AND STEERING WILL BE CONTROLED BY THE STATE YOU LIVE IN's MASTER TRAFFIC COMPUTER, YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR RADIO STATION, THAT'S ABOUT ALL, GET READY FOR HIGH TECH TOTOLATARIONISM, YOU LIFE WILL BE TOTALY CONTROLLED BY THE STATE, YOU WILL BE A COMFORMING DRONE, ALL THANKS TO HIGH TECH, THE GOVERNMENT WILL KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT YOUR DOING 24/7/365,

I DON't LIKE LOOSE NON LOCK-UP TORQUE CONVERTERS THAT WHIMP OUT UP TOP
There is a brand of torque converter out there that is NL will spool ANY 3 bolt without a problem and be under 5% slip up top. Most from what i see dont have enough grunt to fully take advantage of one though.
THE RICE COOKER EVO TEN cranks out 500 NO TORQUE Horsepower with that 4 banger 2 liter and a aftermarket dual scroll turbocharger with required special header, THIS IS HAPPENING NOW.
The stock stroke stock block in my black car is cranking out 800+hp and at least 725lb/ft. Single 3 bolt 66 S trim turbo. I ran the same turbo on a tired iron headed combo with small cam and still cranked out 700hp. It was a real bruiser on the street. Several members have been in the car and can back that up. The quarter numbers back it up too.
ARE CARS ARE OLD, AND SO ARE THE Ist and 2nd generation turbo regal addicts[/QUOTE]Our cars are old but the R&D in the port fuel injected turbo engine was way ahead of its time and made it a breeze for a good tuner to crank it up. The truth is the 1st and 2nd gen TR owners are the ones that have the quickest and fastest TR's in the country. That is so because they evolved at a more rapid pace and had the $ to spend where the 3rd gen will have to play catch up.

There is great benefit in thinking outside the box but a dual scroll housing on an application under 1000hp is not a great idea at this point. A 50-100 shot of N2O off at the desired pressure will trump any converter/dual scroll combo currently out there and the N2O will last a long ime being on for about .5 sec at a time. If you want proof ill take you for a ride in my car. Im suprised you never mentioned the turbocharged LSx rides. They are by far the most economical and efficient turbo engines ive seen out there yet. Im talking about 9 sec and faster hp here.

LSx ride?? , are you talking about the chevy LS1 LS2 LS7 LS3 Corvette engines? Modified by calloway or lingenfelter? OR those add on SQUIRES TAIL PIPE TURBOS ?

I LIKE THE NEW CAMARO SS LS3, walks all over that mopar srt8 challenger. MEANER on performance and Leaner on the pocketbook!

ANY discussion on this subject on this board? IS Jay's Idea a twin scroll or a variable geometry? are the headers special? how is his set up wastegated?

THank you for your interest, Regards, TURBO E38

Probably in one of our header threads... It is not that complicated... Even I understood it once he explained it to me:biggrin: You are right on the instant spool idea, that is the whole point. DIRECT FLOW!

Way back in the 80s, I ran a split scroll setup on my first GN. Essentially we took a set of Joe Ellis headers (Which would later be known as Hooker headers) and tossed the crossover/uppipe and fabricated two individual up pipes that connected together at the turbo. Alan Nemo Sr at Performance Techniques in California built me a special turbocharger based of of the Garret TBO-348 (Stage II) turbo because at the time, that's all that was available. With that setup, my car ran low 11s back in 1990 or so, which back then was fast. The car would run consistent 7.15-7.20s in the 1/8th. I was also running methanol injection on the car with a custom designed kit.

It worked very well. There was a reduction in back pressure and this setup eliminates any chance of cross bank exhaust pulsing in the exhaust.

I really dont know why I havent gone back to this, especially now that we can build our own headers. Too many irons in the fire I suppose. Anyway, I figured out a header design a while back that would work with most downpipes out there and still be split scroll. Its just a matter of finding the time to actually build and test them.

LSx ride?? , are you talking about the chevy LS1 LS2 LS7 LS3 Corvette engines? Modified by calloway or lingenfelter? OR those add on SQUIRES TAIL PIPE TURBOS ?

I LIKE THE NEW CAMARO SS LS3, walks all over that mopar srt8 challenger. MEANER on performance and Leaner on the pocketbook!

No im talking about the various LS engines that come in cars/trucks that have switched out pistons and rods and are turbocharged. I saw about 10 of these types of setups 2 weeks ago and they were all bullets. One even used a pair of truck manifolds and it was one of the quickest drag radial cars ive ever seen. Some of them are still running stock cranks. All were under 500ci. 1000hp is no problem. They were are all drag race cars. none had a dual scroll either. My whole point is you are able to put out your initial cash expense which still is not cheap and the maintenance to maintain the performance level is much less and your not working the engine as hard or dealing with 25 year old parts that have a very limited life. Fwiw the quickest stock/near stock Camaro i saw ran 13.20's. 20" rims are a no go for drag racing without drag radials.

On a larger scale I've switched to a split turbine housing with a spool valve. It does work. :biggrin:

Your a PHUCKING GANGSTER Don

I love it! That was such a sick idea, and when I followed your thread on it I was blown away AS USUAL. Thank you again for participating so actively over the years. You have kept many old timers happy with new approaches being created to racing the same old beast, you have made it a pleasure.