Turbo for street?

I have a 51, (gulp) If it goes I might just go ahead and get one of them ball bearing thingys...:) Just like 'just another Tim' Dirks!

For the street though, make mine a 49! (had one, loved it!)

Right now the car has many modifications.It is 1987 Turbo-T,Two-Tone-Charcoal-Maroon,T-Tops,VeryClean.Here is The list of mods.

BGC 2.75" Dual Cat Back
ACCR43TS gapped at .035
Poston 3" Down Pipe
Ported Stock elbow
Gutted Cat
Green Stipes-matched Kenne Bell 93 Chip
Both Breathers-Turbo Block Off Kit
Blocked Coolant Lines-160 Stat-HE 3 Core Radiator
Stealth Engine Tie Down-All new Gaskets
GSCA 200/200 Cam(Degreed)Liters,Cam Button-Valve Springs
Kenne Bell HD Rocker Shafts-Rollmaster True DB Roller Chain
Bell Mouthed Inlet Stock Intercooler
Matched Intake Manifold To( Intake Ports)
Bell Mouthed-Matched Upper Plenum-Throttle Body
Super HD Hoses-Clamps
BGC ADJ Regulator(set at 43 p.s.i)
Quad Air XP Fuel Pump with upgraded wiring-Ported HangerIntake
Quad Air spark plug wires-Polished MAF
STOCK TURBO-(set at 14p.s.i-it goes to 20-21p.s.i?)
STOCK TRANNY-CONVERTER
Suspension has New KYB Shocks-TRW Rear Springs-
Boxed Lower Control Arms with GM 1LE Camaro Bushings
All Of these modifications were performed by Former Owner,I take no credit,I would like to Put a Tranny Cooler,Slicks And A Turbo.It is fast now but I want it to be SCARY!Im willing to spend _$800.00-$1,500.oo at most for Turbo Only thing is I want a Sreet-Strip-Turbo.THANK YOU

:D

Absolutely get some injectors!. The 49 will out breathe the stockers. I'd get the 50's, you won't need to go bigger than that, unless you seriously race.

Very nice idle, and plenty of room to expand.

Got any more money you want to spend? :)

green stripes

I have the(Green Stipe)injectors on the car now,I was told that these were better than stockers?What are the ratings on these?What are there limit in the Horsepower on my particular car?What Kind of Numbers you think this combo would run at the Quarter mile?:rolleyes:

I took the green stripes to be the stock replacement injectors that some rate at 30#. A stock turbo is all they will support. Now there is a green stripe injector that is rated at 42.5# that will work okay with a 44/49. You need to post the numbers off one of the injectors before we know.

A 44/49 will take you into the mid 11 range with the right tuning. Some have been faster but I think that is the reasonable limit.

Family Car

I will post the numbers before i decide to purchase a turbo.44 or 49,which one is quicker spooling?Can I use my stock D5?Who has the best deal on either Turbo?Also I know a Guy who has a 440 Duster And all he does is Talk S**T!He swears I Have a Family car!Mopar Guys are suppose to be cool?:mad: Anyway I think he feels like my car is Slow:D At the NY raceway he pulled a 1
2.7.Dont get me wrong his car is OK-But I have A little V6:rolley
He challeged me for $1000.00-And he said he will give me a car the handicap (1 car length):eek:

I Told him I dont need any Handicap.So brothers, I have to show this Joker what A FAMILY CAR with a little V6 Can do.I never Brag about anything I have But I have To shut Him Down:cool:

44 and 49 are just about the same turbo...the TA49 has the removable inlet bell like the stock turbo, and the TE44 has the inlet machined into the cover...The TE44 is supposed to be worth a few more hp(flows a little more efficiently) over the 49, but the 49 is almost indistinguishable to the stock turbo on the outside...

I am also looking to buy a bigger turbo than stock. I probably wont go any bigger than a 44 or a 49. Stock apearing dosent really matter to me, since I have already heard- "Whoa, thats a big-ass turbo" (from a ricer of course). My car is a daily driver, so street manners are important. I didn't want to go bigger that Blue-top injectors, because I am concerned about gas mileage. Will I get worse gas mileage if I were to go with 42.5's over the Blue-tops? Also what is the difference between the 44 and the 44c. I thought that the "c" stood for "complete", but I'm still learning all of this TR stuff. I doubt if I will buy a turbo for another year or so, since I wont be 17 until June, and my dad dosent want me going faster than mid-high 12's. Also on $6.50 an hour it makes it tough to afford parts :( . Any info would greatly help. Also I have a stock converter, and want the quickest spool-up (Gee, where have I heard that one before?)

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Family Car

Originally posted by motorhead445
I will post the numbers before i decide to purchase a turbo.44 or 49,which one is quicker spooling?Can I use my stock D5?Who has the best deal on either Turbo?Also I know a Guy who has a 440 Duster And all he does is Talk S**T!He swears I Have a Family car!Mopar Guys are suppose to be cool?:mad: Anyway I think he feels like my car is Slow:D At the NY raceway he pulled a 1
2.7.Dont get me wrong his car is OK-But I have A little V6:rolley
He challeged me for $1000.00-And he said he will give me a car the handicap (1 car length):eek:

I Told him I dont need any Handicap.So brothers, I have to show this Joker what A FAMILY CAR with a little V6 Can do.I never Brag about anything I have But I have To shut Him Down:cool:

Here is what you do, buy a TA-49 and some 009s and hand him his ass. I hope you are racing in the 87. This has to be the most popular turbo i have ever seen, everyone and their grandma's dead parrot has one of these turbos. I have seen people go mid 11's with this turbo. And the reason i like those injectors is that i have heard bad things about the 50's and the 55's need a new computer. Yeah, anywho, i don't want to write an essay so i'm out. If you really want to show him something, TE-72 and 72#ers with DFI and of course all of the other necessary upgrades, motor, trans and everything in between, hahahahaaaaaa.

Nicholas

Re: Re: Family Car

Originally posted by LUZ_2_A6

Here is what you do, buy a TA-49 and some 009s and hand him his ass. I hope you are racing in the 87. This has to be the most popular turbo i have ever seen, everyone and their grandma's dead parrot has one of these turbos. I have seen people go mid 11's with this turbo. And the reason i like those injectors is that i have heard bad things about the 50's and the 55's need a new computer.

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about MSD 50# injectors. With 009's, nearly everyone complains about a tip in stumble or bad gas mileage or both. Ones that don't complain about 009's had to have a special chip made.

motorhead445:

Currently the green stripes and the stock turbo are limiting you to around 12.0-12.2@110 mph with traction/race gas/chip/20-22 psi of boost.

36# bluetops, a thrasher chip and race gas with a TA49 and you will laugh at guys that only run 12.7 (11.7's@114 should be no big deal with traction/race gas/22-24 psi of boost)

wellll if ya get a 49,44,or a 60 it will fit under the stock turbo shield.....most "other"people NEVER pick up on it:p
we ran the green stripes in Melissa's old Limited wayyyyyyy back in the 90s...she ran 11.90s with them...

Sleeper

I never show anyone under my hood,when I race them.Any Turbo I decide on does not have to look stock.If you dont know about Turbo Buicks-(FAMILY CARS:D ) like this Joker Im gonna Run!,He wont Know what he got himself into.I want a combo where It is gonna just flat out jump out of the hole:D .Bye the way his Duster
runs in the very low 12s-I talked to his mechanic and they are shooting for the 11s.I still think with the right TURBO-INJECTORS-CHIP-SLICKS-TRACTION!I will take him.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?:D

Just go ahead and get a 63-1, and talk **** to that guy sitting next to you at the light riding a sport bike.

Re: Sleeper

Originally posted by motorhead445
I never show anyone under my hood,when I race them.Any Turbo I decide on does not have to look stock.If you dont know about Turbo Buicks-(FAMILY CARS:D ) like this Joker Im gonna Run!,He wont Know what he got himself into.I want a combo where It is gonna just flat out jump out of the hole:D .Bye the way his Duster
runs in the very low 12s-I talked to his mechanic and they are shooting for the 11s.I still think with the right TURBO-INJECTORS-CHIP-SLICKS-TRACTION!I will take him.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?:D

I believe Steve already said it on page 1 but, TE44, MSD 50's and custom chips (street and race). This will be good enough for mid 11's once you get some seat time and get used to tuning and running the car (AS long as your track doesn't kick you outfor running 11's w/o a bar) :D

GREEN STRIPE INJECTORS

KENNE BELL MAKE A 50# INJ THAT HAVE A GREEN STRIPE ON THEM.THOSE MIGHT BE THE ONES YOU HAVE.WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS ON THE INJECTORS?TAKE A LOOK AND WRITE DOWN,THEN POST'EM.THAT SHOULD CLEAR SOMETHING UP.ANYWAYS HOPE IT HELPS........JOEL

Green Sripe#

Here are the Part # for my Green Stripes.

Can anyone tell me what these are rated at?Also what Turbo to get as I want the best of both worlds:D