Front mount intercoolers

Mr URL

I have a 1 off stock location CAS V4R that is raised up for street use. My friend that is helping me work on my car wants to replace it with a front mount.
I want air conditioning to work in the car during 90 degree days. Is upgrading to a front mount from what I have worth it and what works best for street/strip use so my air isn't a issue. E.T. goal is high to low 9.

Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance here, but the stock intercooler is behind the radiator, so how exactly does it affect the condensor? And it's airflow?
I have lived in Phoenix,AZ. since 1977, and have had 3 GNs since my first new one in 1987, And 4 other G bodies from 78 to 87 with no A/C issues.
It usually gets to 100 degrees here in early May or June, and stays between that and 115 until the end of September or early October. We don't have issues with our A/C on most any cars here. But then again, the shops here KNOW A/C, they have to.
Hot wiring the A/C fan relay just like the fuel pump raises the voltage there by 2 volts or so, and paying about $12.00 for a metal replacement fan also helps the flow by a noticeable amount. But most of my customers leave the A/C stock with no issues.
FMIC as opposed to SLIC has more area to pressurize before the engine sees it, and there are a LOT of 9 and 10 sec. Street cars here with SLICs.
Your car, your cash, your choice.
Do you like, live in Death Valley or the Sahara desert?
TIMINATOR

RJC Racing has a new amazing front mount. I have not been able to test it yet but it looks amazing for a street car. The airflow looks crazy good and it's weight is only like 13lb. It should work well with a street car with air and perform at the strip. Good for high 9's I think.

Small jpg of RJC new street front mount. This is the new street version front mount. Its full size of the radiator.

Attachments

• RJC Intercooler 2.jpg
    RJC Intercooler 2.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 67
And yet you think adding a huge intercooler in FRONT of the ENTIRE radiator and CONDENSER won't affect engine cooling and A/C......
My vote is for RJC SLIC, and more alky injection, or E85.
It works here in ARIZONA at 115 degrees all summer, and that's SEVEN MONTHS!
TIMINATOR

And yet you think adding a huge intercooler in FRONT of the ENTIRE radiator and CONDENSER won't affect engine cooling and A/C......
My vote is for RJC SLIC, and more alky injection, or E85.
It works here in ARIZONA at 115 degrees all summer, and that's SEVEN MONTHS!
TIMINATOR
Exactly what I was thinking
But he doesnt like to listen😉
Then he turns I to a preacher 🙄

After he finds out his A/C doesn't work as good, his fans run more often, and his spool time is slower, he may want it back! Buy it before he runs the new one!

This guy is a "frequent aggravator", with arguments being his forte'.
Folks can avoid wasting time responding to them.

I'll take more photos of it out of the car. It's on my shelf but it IS a V4R!!!! I had them raise it higher so it's not so low on the street. I've owned the V4 in my GN and this is WAY bigger than that!! And RJC model number just changed!! He changed the core!

The hoses, piping, and size is SUPER different than a V4 for the V4R!!! WAY bigger!! The V4R has the intake pipe UPSIDE DOWN!!! And has custom hose bends to fit!! IT IS THE REAL DEAL!!!! I'll take a snap of it out of the car when I have time. IT IS A V4R!!

Attachments

• v4rsmall.jpg
    v4rsmall.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I was thinking of possibly selling my V4R but I may just keep it and mount it on the wall.

I am going to try my hardest to use RJC new street front mount and keep the air ducting intact with the grill and side ducting which I think will be super important to keep temps down and use air conditioning. Most people just take that off. I think those parts are very important for radiator air flow. RJC new core is supposed to be more open to air flow than his previous street core version. And good for high 9's.
Lag wise using .63 and ball bearing and a good torque convertor to match with full ported heads and intake it should still be extremely snappy. And the golden child is Bob Baileys turbo boost controller. It keeps it locked until boost control time. It makes a huge difference. And using his launch boost feature which I know gains .2 sec is a bonus feature.