Turbo for street?

motorhead445

I was wondering what is the best all around turbo for street-strip?The car has many modifications,it also has stock converter and stock turbo.I have the specs in a older thread.I just want some more power,its fast as is but i want more!Let me know which turbo is the best.THANK YOU:D

T-88 Dual BB !!!!!!;)
nah...if i could do it again...which i could still do ...i would go for a TE-63......

Originally posted by 86brick
TE44. Stay away from the PT51/52 turbos at all cost!!!!
Gimme a break!:rolleyes:
Have you had a failure too? Or have you just been reading about all the trouble Reds has been having? (I feel for ya buddy!) Mines got 15k worth of serious abuse - street and strip with 26 psi every wot (Thanks SMC). Not a peep out of the ole 51. What gives???

Originally posted by UNGN
TA49 for the street. Tell people its stock.

You mean lie? sigh....I guess then we would have to offer to race for a little money to make it interesting...oh, the road to hell is paved.......with a lot of laughing!

Well,....

With all the problems that Red and others have experienced I think your better off buying a PT53 or 54 turbo cause they have the different wheel and once you get into the 51/52 turbos you really need a 9" converter IMO where as the 49/44 turbos will both work great with the stock D5 or a 12" 2800 stall converter. BLACK6PACK, if he's running 11.0's with the 52 turbo in a heavy weight car this means he's making enough power to run high 10's in a normal weight TR. I wonder how the wheel looks??? I'm really curious on what's causing these wheel failures in the 51/52 turbos cause I personally have never heard of anybody else having failures like these with other turbos. I'm not bashing PTE cause I bought my TE44 from them along with other parts and was very satisfied, but I think somebody needs to find out what's causing these failures. Just my 2 cents :)

TE-63-1 with 55#ers. That is what i am going to do after i get around 2k on the new motor. With that turbo you can run 11's in street trim, hell yeah.

Nicholas

With ported and polished heads and a front mount and 55# injectors, you could probably run 11's in street trim with a TA49/TE44 and use the stock D5, too.

Originally posted by UNGN
TA49 for the street. Tell people its stock.

no one knows what the hell they are looking at anyways... we tell people my 63 is stock and it doesnt even have the stock looking inlet bell on it.

From having three previous turbo car. It's never wrong to go a little bigger.
When you get used to it you would want more. It's a nasty habit worst than drugs!!!!!!!!!!:D

That's why I'm putting in my TA 61 tomarrow.:D

Originally posted by ForcedV6

no one knows what the hell they are looking at anyways... we tell people my 63 is stock and it doesnt even have the stock looking inlet bell on it.

That is true. So that is why my target audience is EX-GN guys. The ones that sold their GN in the 90's to buy a 4th gen F-body. They are the ones who KNOW it impossible to run mid 11's with a stock turbo, intercooler and aircleaner :) You have to wade through 5 ricers who don't know what a turbo is until you find the loud mouth Know it all who usta' have one. That's when you act dumb and ask him to race.

For Every GN owner there is at least one EX-GN owner.

the 51 stuff is over for now..till proffesional turbo people diagnose the wheels i have and results will be posted..

as far as the 49 it is a great turbo mine was from precision with their ext housing on it and it run its balls off..:D

see sig for times with crappy 60 ft. and my car weighs right at 3700 well 3690's with me in it and 1/2 tank.

HP Calc from 1/4 mi Trap Speed
Your car weighs about 3700 pounds and has a trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile of 121.54 m.p.h. . That calculates to approximately 451.06 HP at the wheels, and about 550.08 HP at the flywheel.

;)

I guess another question would be how much money do you want to spend? I am using a Turbonetics Stage V (60-1 HiFi) w/ceramic bearing and I love it. It isnt cheap but it sure does spool fast even with my Yank 2800:)

I never had any problems rasting street tires at will with the TA49. I don't really see why you would need anything bigger than a 49/44 if it was strictly a street driven car.