Setup not making power

GregInAtl2

Hey guys, I got my old Gn back after sitting 13 years (long story) and took it to get the ole once over. I had all fluids changed, new radiator, gas tank, fuel pump and even a vacuum brake install. While there we threw it on the chassis dyno and it made 280 whp 365 tq. The set up; very basic- unopened 70k mile motor, te44, 42 lb inj, turbo tweak chip for 93 octane and 18 psi. 3” dp, 2.5” duals…. Like I said very safe and basic. Is this still a bit low for even this setup?

Do you have a scanmaster ? What boost were you getting on the dyno ? We need more info on how it was/is running ( scanmaster numbers ) .

No scanmaster, it was 14-15 psi and peaked right at 18. I wasn’t with the car, it’s been gone a few weeks and that what they told me on the phone. The place that is doing all the work is extremely reputable (Atlanta Chassis Dyno), they said it’s only a 235 hp car stock, which I think we all know isn’t reality, and they said the te44 doesn’t move significantly more air than stock. So they believe it’s right. I really thought it’d be over 350.
What values can I find from them that would tell you more? I believe they had it on a wideband and were watching things

Well you have no info to give us unfortunately. Fuel pressure, timing, O2, converter, etc, to tell us how the engine was running.

Plus at 14-18 pounds you’re not making much if any more power than a stock turbo.

Well you have no info to give us unfortunately. Fuel pressure, timing, O2, converter, etc, to tell us how the engine was running.

Plus at 14-18 pounds you’re not making much if any more power than a stock turbo.
I’ll get more data when I get the car back Monday…. How much boost can I safely run with a setup like this? I did order a scanmaster from Kirbans a few minutes ago, so I’ll be tracking this stuff now.

You need to put an ALKY kit on the car to be able to run over 18psi of boost or higher octane fuel then 93.I would get a scanmaster ALKY kit and have Eric burn you a chip for the ALKY and your setup.

I’ll get more data when I get the car back Monday…. How much boost can I safely run with a setup like this? I did order a scanmaster from Kirbans a few minutes ago, so I’ll be tracking this stuff now.
First off Kirban is no longer owned by Dennis, it’s owned by the P.O.S. Scumbag Paul Castle. Good luck on your purchase……

Chris has it right. I wouldn’t go over 18 pounds(if that high) without different fuel or an ALKY setup. You try & things will get much more expensive for you.

Make any major changes(ALKY, converter, etc), you’ll need to have Eric re-burn the chip.

Final HP would also be dictated if the valve springs were up to the task to allow the engine to hit max RPM and whether they knew how to adjust Erics chip for high gear fuel/timing.

First off Kirban is no longer owned by Dennis, it’s owned by the P.O.S. Scumbag Paul Castle. Good luck on your purchase……

Chris has it right. I wouldn’t go over 18 pounds(if that high) without different fuel or an ALKY setup. You try & things will get much more expensive for you.

Make any major changes(ALKY, converter, etc), you’ll need to have Eric re-burn the chip.
Hello people: Is that true about KIrbans. Tell us about Castle.
IBBY

Thats pretty much where a 44 would be at on a stock motor and 18 psi, with fueling and high boost it can be pushed much further but eventually you will hit a heads bottle neck where more boost wont make a difference , ive seen a te44 do 425whp on the proper set up, im sure some went further.

No scanmaster, it was 14-15 psi and peaked right at 18. I wasn’t with the car, it’s been gone a few weeks and that what they told me on the phone. The place that is doing all the work is extremely reputable (Atlanta Chassis Dyno), they said it’s only a 235 hp car stock, which I think we all know isn’t reality, and they said the te44 doesn’t move significantly more air than stock. So they believe it’s right. I really thought it’d be over 350.
What values can I find from them that would tell you more? I believe they had it on a wideband and were watching things
Depending on the dyno
The kind of tune your tuner gives you
Which from what your saying you only had a spike at 18psi
But.....
Really made the pulls at 15 psi
Dont expect to see more power at 15 psi on a stock motor on pump 93 low timing and low boost😉
If you want to run low boost and make some better power you would have to run much higher timing.
You will need octane in the form of race gas or alky to do so.
If you want to make more power you will need to raise the boost and lower timing
This should be done pulling the plugs and looking at them after each pull
All this should be done when you higher a tuner.
Regardless of their reputation
So I will ask what did the plugs look like?

Also the statement that a 44 doesnt flow much more than stock is incorrect.
it just doesnt at the boost levels your at😉
in fact you will lose spool
therefore losing torque
Slowing the acceleration down by using a 44 on your build vs a stock turbo with that kind of non power tuneup.
Once the boost is raised to a point where the stock turbo would be out of breath this is where the 44 will shine as it will easily make more than 100hp over stock.

If you're on a Dynojet with a stock converter you're probably near 16% loss so..

280hp÷.84 = 333hp
365tq÷.84 = 434tq

That's pretty good for 17psi etc, you tune and it's safe, then octane up for say 28psi & 18 timing you'll be happy.