TT5.7, TT6.1 or SD2?

TurboPhreak

So I am nearing the completion of my little transformation on the TR I bought last summer and would like to hear some thoughts on what route I should take regarding tuning/chip choice. The injectors I bought (used) came with a TT 6.1 chip, however it will need to be reprogrammed for the stock turbo if I go this route. I currently do not have a power logger or wideband but am thinking of purchasing them if its really the wise decision.

The reason why I threw the SD2 into the mix is becuase my car still has the factory MAF without a translator. Is it worth it to jump to speed density at this point or will the factory MAF suffice and not kick out on me?

Tuning wise, this is my first TB however I have been messing around with subaru's for about 6 years and am looking forward to making my setup run the best I can. (Not a set it and forget it kind of guy...)

Car info below

As Purchased (Last Summer):
- 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T ~70k miles. The car is stock (even the chip :eek:) other than the original exhaust manifolds were replaced with KB "stlye" headers.
- The car ran real good, shifted great and was a blast for the limited driving I did with it last fall.

Build Upgrades (So Far):
Tuning/Controls:
- Scanmaster G
- Boost Gauge
- 3 Bar Map Sensor (included in my alky kit)

Fueling:
- 60 lb Injectors (from precision)
- Racetronix pump
- Racetronix pump hot wire kit
- Acufab FPR
- Alkycontrol Alky Kit
- 94 Octane (Canadian) fuel

Induction:
- Stock Intake/ dog house cleaned up
- RJC Power-plate
- BGC Stretched SLIC with Dutt neck (too good of a deal to pass up)
- Factory MAF (no translator)
- 3" hard MAF tube with K&N cone at the end
- Stock Turbo (will be pushed all in)
- Boost control done via adj. WG rod
- 3" RJC up pipe

Engine:
- New Comp Valve Springs
- 160 Degree T Stat
- New stock motor mounts
- EGR delete

Exhaust:
- Old ATR 3" straight through single exit exhuast
- 3" DP fabbed using RJC flange with large flapper and 3" SS pipe. Had to make my own becuase of the header clearance
- 3" Test pipe
- KB "style" headers

Transmission:
- Stock Tranny (looking for a shift kit)
- Stock D5 TQ

So I am nearing the completion of my little transformation on the TR I bought last summer and would like to hear some thoughts on what route I should take regarding tuning/chip choice. The injectors I bought (used) came with a TT 6.1 chip, however it will need to be reprogrammed for the stock turbo if I go this route. I currently do not have a power logger or wideband but am thinking of purchasing them if its really the wise decision.

The reason why I threw the SD2 into the mix is becuase my car still has the factory MAF without a translator. Is it worth it to jump to speed density at this point or will the factory MAF suffice and not kick out on me?

Tuning wise, this is my first TB however I have been messing around with subaru's for about 6 years and am looking forward to making my setup run the best I can. (Not a set it and forget it kind of guy...)

Car info below

As Purchased (Last Summer):
- 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T ~70k miles. The car is stock (even the chip :eek:) other than the original exhaust manifolds were replaced with KB "stlye" headers.
- The car ran real good, shifted great and was a blast for the limited driving I did with it last fall.

Build Upgrades (So Far):
Tuning/Controls:
- Scanmaster G
- Boost Gauge
- 3 Bar Map Sensor (included in my alky kit)

Fueling:
- 60 lb Injectors (from precision)
- Racetronix pump
- Racetronix pump hot wire kit
- Acufab FPR
- Alkycontrol Alky Kit
- 94 Octane (Canadian) fuel

Induction:
- Stock Intake/ dog house cleaned up
- RJC Power-plate
- BGC Stretched SLIC with Dutt neck (too good of a deal to pass up)
- Factory MAF (no translator)
- 3" hard MAF tube with K&N cone at the end
- Stock Turbo (will be pushed all in)
- Boost control done via adj. WG rod
- 3" RJC up pipe

Engine:
- New Comp Valve Springs
- 160 Degree T Stat
- New stock motor mounts
- EGR delete

Exhaust:
- Old ATR 3" straight through single exit exhuast
- 3" DP fabbed using RJC flange with large flapper and 3" SS pipe. Had to make my own becuase of the header clearance
- 3" Test pipe
- KB "style" headers

Transmission:
- Stock Tranny (looking for a shift kit)
- Stock D5 TQ
Depends on if you want to keep it simple or complicate things or try to get every tenth out of the combo.the 5.7 is a nice chip with plenty of adjustments.you could also look into the axis setup from tt.me personally I like to have a wideband but not sure I would run one for a stocker combo just because it very easy to tune one off the scanmaster.the stock turbo is very forgiving.

I'ld go with a powerlogger and the 5.7 chip to get your feet wet. You can always buy a used chip and go from there. Sounds like you have a good handle on your mods and combo.

Thank you, both of you. I shot an email to Eric aswell and he was of the same opinion. It is exactly what I needed to hear. I have the habbit of getting into scope creep and trying to cover my future goals too early and dragging my projects out becuase of budget constraints.

PS Pronto, looks like we have twins. Nice car :)