New engine blew head gasket

Dale is blaming Weber. Weber is blaming me.
I just cannot afford Dale! It cost me $5,850 for a Turbo (6266 jb), turbo saver, line lock, oil pan gasket (over $400 labor), motor mounts, map install, wires, and a tune which resulted in a blown head gasket.
He wants $2,700 to replace the head gaskets. That is way too much.

Well I would have someone knowledgeable like Dale to take it apart to see what caused this.. I would not just "slap" on a new set of headgaskets till I investigated the problem. What kind of headgaskets did you have in the motor??

That sucks to hear. Very sorry to see a guy struggling after he did all the right steps. I don't know Dale Cherry personally to comment on his ability to tune. But I have heard he knows his stuff. If and when you get your car back up and running I would give Cal Hartline a call. His support is endless and his knowledge with tuning is priceless. My advice would be to check the cause of what went wrong. See if someone local can help you out in replacing your head gaskets if you can't do it yourself and trouble shoot the problem. I stopped that bleeding long ago and learned how to wrench on my own car, cause I blew up my fair share of shit. $2700 seems ridiculous for replacing just a head gasket. You could rebuild the motor and install it for less.

That sucks to hear. Very sorry to see a guy struggling after he did all the right steps. I don't know Dale Cherry personally to comment on his ability to tune. But I have heard he knows his stuff. If and when you get your car back up and running I would give Cal Hartline a call. His support is endless and his knowledge with tuning is priceless. My advice would be to check the cause of what went wrong. See if someone local can help you out in replacing your head gaskets if you can't do it yourself and trouble shoot the problem. I stopped that bleeding long ago and learned how to wrench on my own car, cause I blew up my fair share of shit. $2700 seems ridiculous for replacing just a head gasket. You could rebuild the motor and install it for less.

Thanks for the support. I really do not know what to look for when we take off the heads.

Get your fuel system checked.
Flow your fuel pump and injectors.
Check your injector harness for any issues.
Make sure all of your grounds are hooked up.
Verify your timing, check spark plugs and wires
Did Dale data log your pulls you made? what were the results? get that info......... that would explain where you should be looking, if you should be looking at anything at all.............

What is he doing for $2700? With your gaskets, he needs to clean the oil pickup and pan....$400 on top of the typical $1000. Resurface heads, cometic gaskets, intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, timing cover gasket and labor. He may as well check the cam timing since he is so close. Easier to put the motor on the stand and inspect bearings while he has the pan off. So I can see why its $2700. Not telling you to pay it, however if it fires up and has low oil pressure after just gaskets...motor needs to come back out. Now, do you want to just do gaskets?

Well I would have someone knowledgeable like Dale to take it apart to see what caused this.. I would not just "slap" on a new set of headgaskets till I investigated the problem. What kind of headgaskets did you have in the motor??

According to Dale it is the wrong gaskets.
Engine should not have built with Victor Reinz head gaskets.

GEARHEAD BUILT MY LONG BLOCK . SO FAR I CANT BREAK IT , LONNIE COULDNT BREAK IT .. SO IM HAPPY. SORRY YOU SPENT SO MUCH AND IT WENT SO WRONG .

Did you tell them what kind of gasket to use? Did they offer you Cometics or copper? Or did they figure you're a novice tuner and put those on as a safety precaution to avoid piston/head damage?

Did you tell them what kind of gasket to use? Did they offer you Cometics or copper? Or did they figure you're a novice tuner and put those on as a safety precaution to avoid piston/head damage?

I wasn't asked about gasket choice.

Not sure on which gaskets to go with now.

Built the car to be capable of a low 11 or high 10 quarter mile time.
Precision 6266 turbo, 60 lbs injectors, PTE torque converter, 212/206 roller cam, stroker, girtle, fully forged rotating assembly.

Once the car is tuned it should be dependable.

Just do not understand how a head gasket would go with 21 lbs of boost.

Because the tune was off or fueling problem or the engine wasn't assembled properly.
But blaming the VR gaskets is a cop out.

It wasn't the VR gaskets fault !!
Sounds like a cop out to me but who knows, I wasn't there and I surely haven't seen the gaskets ?? But SOMETHING causes gaskets to blow !! Iv'e been running good ole stock VR GM gaskets for 21 years now and Iv'e ran lots of 24 to 28 lbs. of boost. Lost head gaskets twice in all those years on a car that gets drove hard ALOT and BOTH times it was my own stupiity that I blew a head gasket. Didn't Dale give you any feedback on whatever scan tool he was using showed ??

I have had my share of head gasket issues myself, not the fault of the gaskets. Wrong finish on the heads/block, wrong torque, no retorque, bad tune, faulty boost controller...etc

I feel your pain but I would be asking for a log. Good luck

Bryan

I'd use a VR graphite any day well into the 10's. That style gasket is probably why so many stock bottom ends are still running strong after being run in the grenade mode. I've changed my share of those.

Or did they figure you're a novice tuner and put those on as a safety precaution to avoid piston/head damage?

Thats was why I was asking . I would be goin over the car with a fine tooth comb that should have been done before a dyno or 1/4 mile test session.

Phoneguy said:
Wrong finish on the heads/block, wrong torque, no retorque,

Bryan
Most installs have at least one of
these wrong. Most people don't know how to properly use a torque wrench or prep the surfaces or clean/polish the threads during install and the head gaskets still hold. Ive seen a mix of re-used factory bolts, arp, and other unmarked bolts used on one engine and the head gaskets never leaked a bit of compression or anything. I've seen graphite on one side and steel on the other. Both not showing any issues yet the bottom end pounded out. I've seen engines "that only saw 20psi" have the rod bearings pounded out within the first few seconds of WOT. I've seen stock engines with disconnected wastegate actuators for who knows how long or perforated hoses that were detonated over and over not show any sign. Seen the exact opposite many times too.

ive made many low 11 second passes at 21psi, with sixty foots in the 2's that wouldve been high 10's in the 1/4 if i couldve gotten her to hook.

21psi on a lightly modded stock engine with a 44 turbo is not the same as an engine that can breath with a 70mm bolted on.