New engine blew head gasket

wmerrell

New engine blew head gasket during tuning. Can't afford Dale Cherry at $2700. What should a head gasket job cost?

If you have skills and a torque wrench, go for it on your own. If you dumped coolant into the oil, you should swap out the bearings.

Blowing head gasket usually requires more work than the labor to replace the gasket and the parts themselves. If it's a steel or copper and its making any power chances are it did more damage than the head gasket. The damage done might not reveal itself right away either.

Blowing head gasket usually requires more work than the labor to replace the gasket and the parts themselves. If it's a steel or copper and its making any power chances are it did more damage than the head gasket. The damage done might not reveal itself right away either.

X2. Physically changing a blown head gasket is easy. The damage done to the bottom end (especially if you were running hard when it happened) can be exponentially worse. I wiped out my oil pump AND crank bearings last time at the track..even with milkshake in the oil the car was running fantastic although my oil pressure went to shit. Killed 2 perfectly good turbochargers after the new head gaskets before I figured out I had no oil pressure.

Is this just a factory rebuild or built up at all? What style head gasket? And are you using arp head bolts?

"Killed 2 perfectly good turbochargers after the new head gaskets before I figured out I had no oil pressure." Huh???

If you used studs did you check the mid length studs to see if they needed a extra washer as its VERY common for those to be too long and you torque down on the shoulder of the stud vs head and the pop a headgasket

I guess some of you have not read the issues he has been going through with this motor. Sorry to hear about the loss. What were the details of the head gasket blowing event? Boost, fuel, timing, etc...

I guess some of you have not read the issues he has been going through with this motor. Sorry to hear about the loss. What were the details of the head gasket blowing event? Boost, fuel, timing, etc...

Only Dale Cherry knows what happened. He told me while tuning this new Weber built long block the head gasket gave out at 21 lbs of boost.

At this point, I lost faith with both Weber and Dale Cherry.

Your suffering from "Datdamnbuick" syndrome. When these cars give us issues back to back without time to enjoy the time and dollars spent in between we get frustrated, demoralized, and start to think everyone is working against us, or just doesn't give a sh!t. Its a phase. You need to sit back and clear your head. Find one person to deal with and make sure you two are on the same page. Goals, money, knowledge and trust. Then you can have some success. Don't blame Dale unless you can point out his mistakes like you found with Webber.

sorry to hear about the motor, Jasjamz has said it well and dead on.. These cars can be so Expensive.....I know how you feel

Your suffering from "Datdamnbuick" syndrome. When these cars give us issues back to back without time to enjoy the time and dollars spent in between we get frustrated, demoralized, and start to think everyone is working against us, or just doesn't give a sh!t. Its a phase. You need to sit back and clear your head. Find one person to deal with and make sure you two are on the same page. Goals, money, knowledge and trust. Then you can have some success. Don't blame Dale unless you can point out his mistakes like you found with Webber.

Dale is blaming Weber. Weber is blaming me.
I just cannot afford Dale! It cost me $5,850 for a Turbo (6266 jb), turbo saver, line lock, oil pan gasket (over $400 labor), motor mounts, map install, wires, and a tune which resulted in a blown head gasket.
He wants $2,700 to replace the head gaskets. That is way too much.

Dale is blaming Weber. Weber is blaming me.
I just cannot afford Dale! It cost me $5,850 for a Turbo (6266 jb), turbo saver, line lock, oil pan gasket (over $400 labor), motor mounts, map install, wires, and a tune which resulted in a blown head gasket.
He wants $2,700 to replace the head gaskets. That is way too much.

That sucks man. Been there and done that with Street Performance. I payed more than I will admit for an engine, engine management, turbo, and tuning. The thing drove like shit and last a HG the first time I got on it. Of course they tried to blame me :rolleyes: