New fuel pump, hot wire kit, exhaust, alky kit installed but car is idling rough?

steve86t-type

Hey everyone. I have a turbo buick with some mods that include chip, 60lb injectors, maf, cold air intake, ta 49 turbo set at 15 pounds. Car was running great. I then decided to add 340lph pump, hotwire kit, 3inch exhaust, alky kit, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and boost controller. After install the car had an intermittent rough idle. Every few seconds the engine would shake and then stop but it was consistent. I drove it home and drove fine. Only in idle did the engine shake. I then got close to home which is about a 20 minute drive and the car started smoking grey smoke from the exhaust and stalled out. I believe I blew a head gasket. I kept the boost at 15lbs and the alky kit was turned off completely and the tank had no alky in it that's why the alky was turned off. I kept the boost the same as before. I was waiting for the meth and a new chip from turbo tweak to turn the alky on. Any idea why it would idle rough after installing those parts and also why I blew a head gasket after those parts were installed? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

"started smoking grey smoke from the exhaust and stalled out. I believe I blew a head gasket".
Start with some data such as Powerlogger, Scanmaster.
Take a look in the rad. Coolant gone?
Pull the plugs and take a look.
Report back when you have some "solid leads/info".

compression test and a leak down would be my first step. jumping right to a blown hg is a pretty big leap without some testing.

Hey everyone. I have a turbo buick with some mods that include chip, 60lb injectors, maf, cold air intake, ta 49 turbo set at 15 pounds. Car was running great. I then decided to add 340lph pump, hotwire kit, 3inch exhaust, alky kit, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and boost controller. After install the car had an intermittent rough idle. Every few seconds the engine would shake and then stop but it was consistent. I drove it home and drove fine. Only in idle did the engine shake. I then got close to home which is about a 20 minute drive and the car started smoking grey smoke from the exhaust and stalled out. I believe I blew a head gasket. I kept the boost at 15lbs and the alky kit was turned off completely and the tank had no alky in it that's why the alky was turned off. I kept the boost the same as before. I was waiting for the meth and a new chip from turbo tweak to turn the alky on. Any idea why it would idle rough after installing those parts and also why I blew a head gasket after those parts were installed? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If it blew and that a big if...
You put parts on the car and kept the stock chip and 15psi of boost on up to 10% ethanol(right their your 10%lean) with a projectile plug on the stock fuel pump.
I see old maybe down on volume fuel pump and a map that wasn't setup for today's fuel as a good starting point for engine failure from detonation.
The fuel pump,injectors,plug change,and chip should have been first on the list before driving.
The posts above you should follow and post back what you found.

After you do all the engine stuff, make sure vacuum isnt sucking in your alcohol.

Hey everyone thanks for the messages. Just wanted to clarify I have a TT chip in my car and ran my car for two years without issues. When I did the mods I kept the same chip in. I did not run any meth through my engine as I am waiting for the new TT chip with alky. Engine oil looks good it is not milky. I took a look in the rad and there is no coolant in there but the overflow tank is full. I also installed a scanmaster when I installed all these new parts and forgot to mention that in the first post. I hit the recall button and do have some data from that if that can be used. I also have not started the car since it broke down as I was told not to.

new info begs the question, where did that coolant in the rad go? maybe a pressure check of that cooling system and see where it might have a leak.

Hey everyone thanks for the messages. Just wanted to clarify I have a TT chip in my car and ran my car for two years without issues. When I did the mods I kept the same chip in. I did not run any meth through my engine as I am waiting for the new TT chip with alky. Engine oil looks good it is not milky. I took a look in the rad and there is no coolant in there but the overflow tank is full. I also installed a scanmaster when I installed all these new parts and forgot to mention that in the first post. I hit the recall button and do have some data from that if that can be used. I also have not started the car since it broke down as I was told not to.
Ok so the map is good
Now how about the fuel pump?
And no coolant in the radiator means there is an issue.

After install it was idling rough...but you decided to drive it anyway. Any idea what the SM numbers were before you threw it in Drive? To blow the headgaskets, you would have had to laid into it at WOT.

Hey guys heres an update. Still having issues. I got the heads redone, port matched heads and intake. new springs, timing chain, plugs . New engine gasket kit, water pump, belt, thermostat all new arp hardware, 02 sensor, etc.. running meth now with new tt chip. 20lbs boost. Car runs fine picked it up from the guy who did the work. Brought the car home parked it, Next day I went to take it out and there was oil leaking under it. Pulled the dipstick and showing low oil. He pulled the oil pan and still lots of oil in the pan. He cant figure out why the dipstick is showing no oil but the oil pan still has about 5 litres of oil in it. Any ideas to what is causing this? Thanks in advance