Military "Don't ask, Don't tell" Agree or disagree?

Military..... "Don't ask, Don't tell"? Leave it alone or change it?

• Leave it the way it is.

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Change it.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Don't care either way.

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
The fact that a private business is not allowed to fire someone because they are gay, or require them to hide it, yet the military is allwed to is a complete double standard and flies in the face of all the laws against it.

Others will say it would make other people uncomfortable to serve with an openly gay person I say so what? Since when do we let what someone is 'uncomfortable with' form policy? Many people are uncomfortable serving with people of different races and religions, yet there is nothing telling people they can't be a certain religion or race in the military. Even satanists are allowed to openly practice thier religion in the military!

So they say that the sexual overtones would cause issues. Yet we already have UCMJ articles to handle inappropriate behavior. Some people seem to think that gay men (always only comes up wiu men) are going to hit on every other man they see. They don't seem to realize that the rules of attraction pretty much work the same for gay people.

Then there is the religious aspect of it. Or military policies are not based on religion so what a persons religious beliefs are do not matter in anyway what so ever. Religion is completely seperate from serving in the military.

As a former Marine & the father of a Marine officer I view the matter as valid and have a personal stake in it and personal experience.
The military is constitutionally authorized to create its own laws and rules, regardless of what private businesses do or today's politically correct atmosphere (a private company can't punish you for not shaving, but the military can :eek:) So the comparison to private business is meaningless and invalid.
If we are to tolerate gays in the military then don't ask don't tell is only right.
There are manifold reasons for barring homosexuals form serving(openly)
I never spoke of my heterosexual habits, desires etc., nor do I define myself by my sexual preferences or proclivities.
There are already many gays in the military, they are not prevented from serving (another blatant lie by the current occupant of the White House). Many otherwise capable people are barred from service due to various "conditions" medical & otherwise from flat feet to tattoos. If gays wish to serve the military has been directed to "Don't ask" so gays should "Don't tell" (bad English intentional) pretty simple.
I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Just my (informed) opinion
Semper FI!
D:cool:

Don't ask. Don't Tell. Leave it at that.
The same way i think of my friends.

I don't ask Brett if he is gay, and he doesn't tell me he is gay..
:D

what is this world coming to, Otto actually made me chuckle...

I am probably the most homophobic person alive, but I think they should be allowed to stay in if they are known to be gay.

I am probably the most homophobic person alive, but I think they should be allowed to stay in if they are known to be gay.
Actually Otto probably holds that title. But ur last statement is what really matters. That imo will will be the big issue vs. future people joining.

Those who are officers or high ranking NCO's might have some of their rank given respect tested. Meaning, many may not like their superiors personally but respect the rank.

Not likeing or accepting who they are may result in quite a bit of insubordination from homophobic or strongly religious members of the military.

That is the only real issue I see at this stage of the game. But I guess people will have to adapt or face JAG for hate crimes that may have once been over looked or swept under the carpet when supported by the militarys rule of law which has always been superior but times are changing.

They might now be subjected to automatic disciplinary action and possible dishorable dischage if it is handled as seriously as it is in the private sector.

It will definately cause some ripples but most members will likely stay quiet vs. risk ruining their career.

If ur putten ur ass:eek: on the line for me in the battlefield I could care less what you do in ur private time. I see at as better ur ass then mine.:eek:

As a former Marine & the father of a Marine officer I view the matter as valid and have a personal stake in it and personal experience.
The military is constitutionally authorized to create its own laws and rules, regardless of what private businesses do or today's politically correct atmosphere (a private company can't punish you for not shaving, but the military can :eek:) So the comparison to private business is meaningless and invalid.
If we are to tolerate gays in the military then don't ask don't tell is only right.
There are manifold reasons for barring homosexuals form serving(openly)
I never spoke of my heterosexual habits, desires etc., nor do I define myself by my sexual preferences or proclivities.
There are already many gays in the military, they are not prevented from serving (another blatant lie by the current occupant of the White House). Many otherwise capable people are barred from service due to various "conditions" medical & otherwise from flat feet to tattoos. If gays wish to serve the military has been directed to "Don't ask" so gays should "Don't tell" (bad English intentional) pretty simple.
I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Just my (informed) opinion
Semper FI!
D:cool:

As a CURRENT member of the armed forces my opinion is just as 'informed' as yours. The comparison between private sector and military is entirely valid BECAUSE military law and civilian law are the same when it comes to discrimination of this sort.

That's all it is and there is not a valid reason for it.

As a CURRENT member of the armed forces my opinion is just as 'informed' as yours. The comparison between private sector and military is entirely valid BECAUSE military law and civilian law are the same when it comes to discrimination of this sort.

As a serving member since before 1993 when they voted in the current policy and now I will say that a large majority of the those serving in Armed Forces DO NOT like it and think this is a joke... Knee buckling to the far left, trying to make the appease minority by punishing the majority... that's my take..

I think it is f'd up myself... I wouldn't want to be in the same shower with a known gay man... I am sure no man would ever look at me but even if I caught him looking funny I would be pissed... It would just make me uncomfortable. Seeing as how the soliders put their lives on the line daily they should at least be comfortable in their relaxing time...

Bottom line though it should be up the Military not the freaking politicians IMO...

No homosexuals in military

This is nothing more than political correctness ! It is another situation to tear down established norms. I served in the U.S.M.C. 68-70 during the war in viet Nam, This would never been allowed then and shouldn't be now. IMO Its the military,and its not a social experiment.

Sorry, but you are ill-informed.
There is strict military law regarding homosexual conduct and even fraternization among service members. It is not a double standard, it is two differing bodies of law.
We also need to address the question of gay superiors abusing their powers regarding subordinates (I know that cold never happen, given the moral superiority of the gay lifestyle.
99% of the population shouldn't be placed at risk for the benefit of 1%

D :smile:

This is nothing more than political correctness ! It is another situation to tear down established norms. I served in the U.S.M.C. 68-70 during the war in viet Nam, This would never been allowed then and shouldn't be now. IMO Its the military,and its not a social experiment.

Sorry, but you are ill-informed.
There is strict military law regarding homosexual conduct and even fraternization among service members. It is not a double standard, it is two differing bodies of law.
We also need to address the question of gay superiors abusing their powers regarding subordinates (I know that cold never happen, given the moral superiority of the gay lifestyle.
99% of the population shouldn't be placed at risk for the benefit of 1%

D :smile:

Well, blacks and women are allowed in the military. Some racist might not want to shower with a black guy or some sexist might not want to take orders from a woman. There are plenty of excellent blacks and women serving their nation. Why couldn't the same be true for an open homomsexual?

Here's my take.

Homosexuals get to shower with the gender they find attractive.

Heterolsexuals do not get to shower with the gender they find atractive.

That's discrimination!

I want a laywer!

Solve that issue and I'm okay with homosexuals in the military.

Mikey

Maybe the gays can figure out how to stop all the fighting??? :confused:

THUPER.jpg