LC1 widband Issue under boost

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
My LC1 wideband seems to work fine until it sees boost. It will flash 7.4 in the middle of a run.
Could this be frequency interference or overheating?
Sensor is mounted 18'' away from exhaust housing and I tucked the wires away from the coilpack...but the wires are next to the big engine wiring harness maybe causing this?
And yes I did free air calibration a bazillion times already.
IDK.

try another sensor, then try the Innovate "heat sink"

do you know what error code its setting?

Bob

No I dont. I P-logged 2 times before my rear end exploded. Just wanting to work out bugs before I install new rear next week. I bought another sensor for it, but this thing has 5miles on it.
That heat sink is 89 bucks.

Can I just sell this trouble and get an EGT probe?

It used to do that to me as well. Once at the track with wideband tracking. Guess what the wideband chip does when the wideband shows 7.4 air fuel when the target is 10.8? Yup, it pulls fuel.

There are other brands to choose from that won't give you the problems that the LC1's seem to be prone to exhibiting. I wouldn't go back to just an EGT. I run one but only as a secondary tool to the wideband. I just don't think the EGT is quite as accurate as a wideband is primarilly because they can't react as fast.

Maybe its showing you something thats real.. like maybe a couple cylinders misfiring and sending raw fuel out the exhuast. ( blowing out the spark from boost and fuel ?)
Don't be too quick to blame the instrument. Lord knows how much money that has cost my company when operators don't believe what the instrument is saying or trust a beat up 20 dollar gauge that was installed in 1970 vs the 3000.00 electronic pressure transmitter installed last year.

Maybe its showing you something thats real.. like maybe a couple cylinders misfiring and sending raw fuel out the exhuast. ( blowing out the spark from boost and fuel ?)
Don't be too quick to blame the instrument. Lord knows how much money that has cost my company when operators don't believe what the instrument is saying or trust a beat up 20 dollar gauge that was installed in 1970 vs the 3000.00 electronic pressure transmitter installed last year.

If its misfiring it will show lean, not rich

Please explain the logic of how a blown out spark Would show up as lean to a o2 sensor ... Unburned fuel would show rich IMHO.

Please explain the logic of how a blown out spark Would show up as lean to a o2 sensor ... Unburned fuel would show rich IMHO.

An oxygen sensor measures the amount of "oxygen" in the exhaust, not the amount of fuel. If there is no spark then there will be oxygen that has not been consumed and that's what the sensor is telling you.

Guys. The sensor is "resetting" or blinking 7.4 as the default in mid boost. This means the sensor has an issue with something electrically or its too hot, or the sensor is bad or LC1 just sucks.... I am wanting to know if anyone has had this issue before and what the cause was or is there a better alternative to widebands that are less problematic as Dave was insinuating.

Guys. The sensor is "resetting" or blinking 7.4 as the default in mid boost. This means the sensor has an issue with something electrically or its too hot, or the sensor is bad or LC1 just sucks.... I am wanting to know if anyone has had this issue before and what the cause was or is there a better alternative to widebands that are less problematic as Dave was insinuating.

It will display an error code (and I think it should do that through the gauge)

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

You can switch versions. my PLX was $150 but if it's the sensor overheating switching widebands won't help that.

It used to do that to me as well. Once at the track with wideband tracking. Guess what the wideband chip does when the wideband shows 7.4 air fuel when the target is 10.8? Yup, it pulls fuel.

Output on error can be configured on the LC1 so it adds fuel. Instructions are in all turbotweak chips

The innovate stuff has been somewhat 'sensitive' to heat. Although I had good luck with mine. I liked the XD16 gauge since
it would display the error codes and let you trigger a recalibration using the button on the front. I think they are no longer available though.

Like Alan mentioned, you can set them to "fail lean" so that your ecm will add fuel if the sensor flakes out. Other kinds do not have this feature.

I'm using the PLX now, and its simplicity has good points and bad. Since its a more conventional analog circuit, it handles
heat better (I don't know if the accuracy is affected). But there are no error codes or other fanciness, and you can't program its output or failure modes.

There is no "best solution" on the widebands, they all have their pro's and con's.

All of them are better than an EGT...

Bob

When I get the car back together, I will check that blink sequence again. Im not drilling anymore holes till I know for sure. Thanks guys.

There is no "best solution" on the widebands, they all have their pro's and con's.

All of them are better than an EGT...

Bob

If only some TR electronics genius would build one with all the right features.

Detonation can result in a rich O2 reading. The oxygen gets used up,but the burning of the fuel is incomplete.

Low timing can cause this also, I have seen this in the past, starting out to low on the timing map will cause excessive heat in the Downpipe. I will show rich at the same time BTW

Innovate stuff does not like heat...

The newer MTX series from Innovate are better than anything I have tried except the NGK which in my testing is the best thing out there. The PLX is good, not my favorite, the as is the AEM which is very dependable but maybe a bit slower.