GEN II setup instructions, help needed!!

CGASTON

As I am reading the instruction manual, I have come across some questions.

1. Installation.
If upgrading the MAF sensor, remove the vehicle's original MAF and install
the upgraded MAF. If a plug-and-play harness is available, follow the
instructions included with it.
Otherwise wire the new MAF such that the
signals use the original vehicle wiring. Install the MAF Translator Gen-II
wiring, splicing in to the MAF signal wire so the MAF Translator Gen-II can
alter its signal. If the original MAF had extra signals, wire the analog
outputs to those ECU wires so the MAF Translator Gen-II can generate
those signals. Tap the TPS and RPM signals.

QUESTION: Now since I have the plug-and-play harness, do I need to tap into the TPS and RPM signals? If so, how is that done?

2. AF Low: Low load AF tune vs. RPM

QUESTION:
What is the full purpose of this function? The AF LOW is for idle? Do you need to have a wideband connected to the GEN II to make this work? Do I splice my 5v analog and ground from the wideband into the GEN II, VIA Orange and Purple wire? Now if I do this does it kill the O2 going to the ECM? Now the RPM is set to what the chip was burned to idle at? What if your idle is 900rpms and you can only choose 800 or 1200 rpms on the GEN II? Which one do you choose? Now what about the AF piece. What is the function here? Is this where the wideband will help control the amount of fuel? Getting your BL back to 128? What should the AF be via wideband? (E85)

a. AF Mid: Mid load AF tune vs. RPM

QUESTION:
What is the full purpose of this function? The AF Mid is for cruising speed? Now do I need to set the RPMs equal to what the RPMs are running at 60mph? What should the AF be via wideband? (E85)

b. AF Hi: High load AF tune vs. RPM.

QUESTION: What is the full purpose of this function? The AF HIGH is for WOT? How do you know what RPM to set the GEN II? Your peak RPM? At this point and you have wideband connected, is the AF on the wideband need to be 10.5? (E85)

3. MAF Sensor Tune: User AF tune vs. MAF flow.

QUESTION: Please explain this one to me..

4. MAF Translator Gen-II Setup
The vehicle can be equipped with a larger high performance MAF than was
originally installed. The new MAF is installed and wired to the MAF input
wire (yellow). Configure the MAF Translator Gen-II MAF Input to match
the sensor installed on the vehicle. The MAF Output mode is set to match
the vehicle and ECU/ECM. Frequency MAF signals are sent on the
Frequency Out wire (yellow), voltage MAF signals will be sent on either of
volt out wires (brown or gray). Be sure to configure the volt out mode for Volt MAF . Some vehicles have MAF sensors with other functions or
signals. These other signals are typically Barometric pressure and Air
Temperature. These MAF sensors are actually "Air Volume" sensors, and
the ECU requires the temperature and pressure in order to calculate the
airflow mass. When using a true MAF sensor, the air temp and baro signals
must be kept constant to prevent double-compensation. These other sensors can be simulated by the MAF Translator Gen-II, using the V Out 1 and V Out 2 signals. Set the V out 1 and 2 mode to Use Setpoint in the Config page, and set the output voltages to normal levels in the Setup page.

QUESTION: This setup says that I need to have the volt out set to "VOLT MAF" , But the setup instructions on the board read as this "V Out 1 and V Out 2 signals. Set the V out 1 and 2 mode to Use Setpoint" Now how do I know what the output volts are suppose to be? What is normal levels?

5. Parameter setting details for all pages:
Config:
MAF-In: Select function and scaling of MAF output
Select from list of available sensor types.
MAF-Out: Select function and scaling of MAF output
Select from list of available scalings.
RPM/Engine: Set to the number of cylinders of the engine
(exception: 96+ LT1, 4 cylinder)
Displacement: Displacement in Liters. Used to calculate Engine Load
Load Source: Determines the method used to determine engine load.
Engine load is used to determine which of the High Mid or Low load tune
settings are used. Selections are (scaled in KPA), TPS (320 = 5
volts), or a MAP sensor connected to the Aux input.
Wideband O2: Select scaling of wideband input from the following list
Innovate LC1
Innovate LM1
AEM Gauge, AFM-1, other (0 volts@10:1, 5 volt @ 20:1)
Tech Edge (2B02) Wideband
Zeitronix ZT2 Wideband
Dynojet Wideband Commander (0-5 volts = 10:1 - 18:1)
AEM interface (non gauge unit)
DIY-WB
Aux Log Mode: Determines logging function of Aux input wire.
No Aux Log (Reads only voltage)
Log EGT (requires adapter)
Log 2 Bar (calculates and logs MAP pressure from the aux signal)
Log 3 Bar (calculates and logs MAP pressure from the aux signal)
Log 3.5 Bar (calculates and logs MAP pressure from the aux signal)
Log 5 Bar (calculates and logs MAP pressure from the aux signal)

Question: Why do we use
"MAF/RPM" for the load source? If we have a wideband connected, then do we choose "MAP Sensor"? On the wideband, I thought that we were suppose to have a 10.5:1 AF. I am confused about the AEM settings (0 volts@10:1, 5 volt @ 20:1). What is the difference? Why would you have an AUX map when the ECM/GEN II already reads the MAP?

6. Setup:
Main Scale: adjusts the entire range by the same %
V-Out1 Set: Setpoint for V-Out1
V-Out2 Set: Setpoint for V-Out2
Afterstart: Enrichment for the first few minutes of engine run time
Lo Load Pt: Load for the Lo Load User tunes (~KPA)
Mid Load Pt: Load for the Mid Load User tunes (~KPA)
Hi Load Pt: Load for the Hi Load User tunes (~KPA)
F Out Max: set for the maximum frequency that will be sent out the MAF output. Can be used to prevent fuel-cut, or intentionally lean out the top end. Set to 0 to disable frequency limiting.

MAFLim TPS: TPS value below which MAF Flow is limited to the below
settings.
MAF Limit: When TPS is below the MAFLimTPS, MAF flow is limited
to this. This helps reduce decel richness.

MAF /Krpm: Second limiting factor. This setting, multiplied by
(RPM/1000), is added to the MAF Limit and the sum becomes the max allowable MAF Flow when TPS is less than MAFLimTPS .
Idle Flow: When the MAF reading is below this, the MAF reading is
filtered or smoothed to help improve idle in cars wit turbulent idle airflow. Idle Filt: When the MAF reading is below Idle Flow , the MAF reading is filtered using this factor. Adjusts 0-2.50, lower numbers are filtered more Setup:
Main Scale: adjusts the entire range by the same %
V-Out1 Set: Setpoint for V-Out1
V-Out2 Set: Setpoint for V-Out2
Afterstart: Enrichment for the first few minutes of engine run time
Lo Load Pt: Load for the Lo Load User tunes (~KPA)
Mid Load Pt: Load for the Mid Load User tunes (~KPA)
Hi Load Pt: Load for the Hi Load User tunes (~KPA)
F Out Max: set for the maximum frequency that will be sent out the MAF
output. Can be used to prevent fuel-cut, or intentionally lean out the top end.
Set to 0 to disable frequency limiting.
MAFLim TPS: TPS value below which MAF Flow is limited to the below
settings.
MAF Limit: When TPS is below the MAFLimTPS, MAF flow is limited
to this. This helps reduce decel richness.
MAF /Krpm: Second limiting factor. This setting, multiplied by
(RPM/1000), is added to the MAF Limit and the sum becomes the max
allowable MAF Flow when TPS is less than MAFLimTPS .
Idle Flow: When the MAF reading is below this, the MAF reading is
filtered or smoothed to help improve idle in cars wit turbulent idle airflow.
Idle Filt: When the MAF reading is below Idle Flow , the MAF reading is
filtered using this factor. Adjusts 0-2.50, lower numbers are filtered more

QUESTION:
Please explain all in red so that I may ask my questions.

This is enough questions for now. I will have more questions, I promise.

I'm a Translator Pro guy so I may not be of a huge help here. I'll try and answer a few of your questions, and mostly from memory so bare with me.

1. If you're using a plug and play harness don't get too wrapped around this one.

2. a. and b. These are user tune tables that you can use to add or subtract fueling in the low, mid, and high load ranges. Low load is generally idling and light throttle cruising. Mid load is moderate acceleration and into very light boost. High load is generally mid/high boost (WOT).

3. Is another user tune table that you can adjust maf flow to also add or subtract fueling. This you can use to adjust versus maf flow when you start using a data logger and see where specific maf flow rates need a little help.

4. Vout1 and Vout2 can be used for specific functions, but for now just set them to "use set point". Later when you want to use the Translator to adjust WOT timing, you'll set Vout1 to send anolog timing to ECM.

5. Because MAF/RPM is a load source, the wideband is an A/F ratio device not a load source. MAF IN selects the type of MAF you have, MAF OUT selects the type chip/ecm you have. Also there's a selection for the type of wideband you're using (not needed until you're comfortable getting it hooked up correctly). AEM gauge is just a type of wideband, which also includes the PLX.

6.For the setup leave the low, mid, and high set points at their default. A lot of things in the setup can be left at default.
I can't help you with what values to use in the SETUP section. You'll have to hope someone with a Translator GENII can pipe in with typical values.

there are 2 kinds of plug and play harnesses. Does yours plug in at the ECM, or go thru the firewall and plug into the MAF?

set Vout 1 mode to spark advance.

Leave the rest at default settings.

I got my harness from Mike F. It plugs into the ECM with a lead for GEN II

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

ok then all required connections are made except for the wideband stuff.

You have a lot of wideband questions, but your basic installation and setup are not complete, so skip the wideband for now. We need to get the part throttle and idle right before thinking about any full throttle stuff.

Do you have a scanmaster or powerlogger? (refresh my memory)

You are running E85 now? What chip number?

Bob

Bob,

Yes I have a scanmaster and PL. The chip number is GSYX7DXGA (Anti-theft, E85, Gen II). However the scanmaster is throwing up to trouble codes with this chip. I get two different codes for the chip. One of the is Code 51: PROM error (bad eprom chip, loose socket), Code 34: MAF volts low and I just got a code 44 for O2. The O2 is brand new. I replaced it yesterday.

wierd, can you post a powerlogger log of the engine idling?

I think we need to address these codes and chip stuff first.

Bob

Bob,

According to TunerPro..... My MAF is not getting any volts. Secondly, I still can not given it any gas. The MAF, GEN II, and Extender Extreme G are new. First time install was this weekend. Now when I change out the chips and add my TT E85 chip I dont get the bad prom code 51. But still runs rough!!

Bob,

I will get you a PL in a few minutes....

Bob,

According to TunerPro..... My MAF is not getting any volts. Secondly, I still can not given it any gas. The MAF, GEN II, and Extender Extreme G are new. First time install was this weekend. Now when I change out the chips and add my TT E85 chip I dont get the bad prom code 51. But still runs rough!!

no you won't see MAF volts, because its not a voltage type MAF, you should see MAF frequency (both in and out)

With the Gen-2, you set the MAF in to match the MAF, and MAF out to match the ECM/Chip. so for the Extreme G chip, you set the MAF out to "extreme/Pro", for the TT chip you set it to GN Stock.

Is this how you have it set?

B

Bob,

Here is my PL and TunerPro. My main scale I set to +13 and that brought my BL done to 128. I set my GEN II up as you said. I even set Vout 1 mode to spark advance as you said to do. But this time as I gave it a little gas, I had a back fire about the same time the ECM tripped a CODE 51.

Attachments

• 29 May 2012 @ 2226.dat
    5.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 29 May 2012 @ 2226.xdl
    177.2 KB · Views: 89
well, the chip should not cause a backfire or a code. With my chips, a code 51 forces the ECM into open loop, so its hard to diagnose the closed loop stuff with that code.

Another thing, with the engine not running, press the accelerator and watch the MAF reading on the scanmaster or PL, if there is no MAF signal reaching the ECM, the MAF reading will change with the throttle.

But... until I can get another chip to you, lets switch over to the TT chip and clear out the ECM and see how it runs.

One more thing, when I was at the TB.com event, I helped troubleshoot a car that had one of these plug-and-play adapters. It had a bunch of broken connections. So, try tugging on some of the wires and make sure they are secure.

Bob

Bob,

What do I need to look for with car not running and pressing throttle to floor? Should the MAF change?

Also, I will check the connections, wires, and change out the chip....

It has to be something simple cause it ran great before this.

Bob,

What do I need to look for with car not running and pressing throttle to floor? Should the MAF change?

Also, I will check the connections, wires, and change out the chip....

It has to be something simple cause it ran great before this.

the MAF signal should not change when you press the pedal (or at least not change very much)

Bob,

When I get home this evening, I will check out a few things and post it on here.

Bob,

I changed out the chip to TT E85. Well the car seemed to run and take gas. Matter of fact, it would rev ok. Secoundly, once I go it running and my main scale @ 10, my BL was 128. After driving about 6 miles and only giving it half throttle, the BL adjusted to 137. So I think that I need to adjust main scale to about 6. Now here is the problem. I am still having the O2 issue. My O2, even after changing it, it still goes crazy. I need to adjust the IAC. It was a little high after driving it. I didn't notice anything with the MAF as you directed me to check. So here it is, I am posting my PL and TunerPro files for you to review and go from there.

So on the chip, are you going to burn another one for me and get it out soon? I would appreciate this. I never got any trouble codes with the TT chip in.

Bob, I had to zip the PL file being it was 2.02 mb

Attachments

• 30 MAY 2012 TEST DRIVE.xdl
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • 30 MAY TEST DRIVE.zip
    549.2 KB · Views: 85
And to add to that, if your BLM learned up to 137 with the Main Scale set to 10, the last thing you want to do is reduce it to 6, that will cause the BLM to go even higher!

I am curious then. Why does maker of the chip put on their paperwork that O2 volts should be 750-850b both at idle and operating. Now with gas my O2 volts were within that limit. Is it because of the alcohol? I am curious.