Front Mount vs. Stock Location Intercooler.

I have gone 126 MPH on a DUTT neck stocker with alky on my TTA. I have a front mount on my GN that also runs 126 MPH. But the thing I like about the front mount is the engine compartment room it creates and it spools better since there is less restriction through it. My 6765 spools to 1lb of boost at 2400 RPM and my 6265 in my TTA with the DUTT neck spools 1lb of boost at 2600 RPM. Both cars have 0 pump vigilantes and the rest of the cars are basically the same. Same chip, same injectors, etc.

There isn't much advantage to a front mount with alky injection on most cars. As long as the pressure drop is small it won't matter. For a straight gasoline application a front mount will really start to show power when you get up to 600+hp. The air speed through the intake on a higher rpm engine likes more surface area and more airflow over the core. Heat soak is lessbof a problem with a front mount also. Front mounts make the engine service a lot easier too but they negatively ballast the front of the car though and some of the really large ones block too much frontal area and strain the cooling system. For. 93/alky application that doesn't have enough power to trap over 135mph it's better using a stock location.

Wow thank you guys for the great responses!! I think I may go with a stock location intercooler. Though I would like that fast spool up of a front mount. Alky sounds like the way to go for me! This conversation answered a lot of questions!

I can make a full pass in the 1/4 mile without running my stock fan at all (fbody radiator), and the temp is constant during the whole pass 170F from burnout to the timing slip shack. I know another GN like mine which we ran at the same time, runs a front mount and has to run the fan to keep it cool, other wise his can hit 200F on a single pass.

This is a dead horse never ending deal and will always be pro one way or the other.

Im pro FMIC because I dont put ice cubes in my drink and then put it in the oven.......ahhhumm.......engine bay........to get stay/get cold.

Dead Horse......beat away

I am running mid 11's with the factory slic with the Dutt neck. When i was running mid 12’s i thought i must have one to get in the 11s! Even talked my wife into letting me buy one. Never did, turns out that my brake setup (crappy boost at launch) and a poor tune were killing my ¼ mile times. In other words I put the 800 bucks towards Powerlogger, wideband and some brake upgrades. See sig, and that was with a busted tranny to boot.

Stock location stretched large mouthed IC's good to 700hp,above that you''ll need a front mount,after that, an in-car liquid cooled...lol
I have SLSLMIC for sale, its a bowlinggreen customs with fibroglass shroud adjustiable,mounts,crank fan,70mm inlet pipe with single alky hole

IMG_0040FMSLM.JPGIMG_0043FMSLM.JPGIMG_0039FMSLM.JPG
$800 plus shipping takes everything,I'm in Orlando,FL

FMIC all the way..i don't care how fast you guys go with a SLIC...my front mount looks badass through my grill and equally performs just as good...

Stock location stretched large mouthed IC's good to 700hp,

Says who?? That's a weak arguement at best. ANY, and I mean ANY turbo application can benefit from the FAR colder air that a front mount can yield. Assuming it's not some piece of junk just built for looks.

You mean to tell me that I'm not benefitting from from the 75+ degree temp drop my front mount yields, even on my measly 400hp? I'm able to run 22# of boost without the alky crutch with my FM. Can you say the same with a SLIC? I know some can, but VERY few. Oh, just in case somebody asks, that's with 22deg of timing in 1st and 2nd, and 19deg in 3rd.

Says who?? That's a weak arguement at best. ANY, and I mean ANY turbo application can benefit from the FAR colder air that a front mount can yield. Assuming it's not some piece of junk just built for looks.

You mean to tell me that I'm not benefitting from from the 75+ degree temp drop my front mount yields, even on my measly 400hp?

Says the Manufactures......! (an dyno tests) I run Front Mount Now,I'm good to 1000+hp,It's in the flow baby, the Flow! (only get so much air in small box aka stock location) You must read this wrong or something...lol

Everybody puts up such a good argument, and you both have valid points. Now I'm more confused and am back to not being sure what to do:) Knowlege is great...but now it has lead to more indescision:(

Everybody puts up such a good argument, and you both have valid points. Now I'm more confused and am back to not being sure what to do:) Knowlege is great...but now it has lead to more indescision:(

Go Front Mount if plan to go faster later in time an have more of top-end charge,Stay stock location if plan on stock block the life of the car an want 1/4 mile rocket.Bonus on stock location no a/c blowing warm or 10-20 degree's rize in water temp,(front mounts warm the air)on Hwy trips an car's more origianl..8^), All my parts allready outweight my 109 block's capibility.

At least there is one thing that I think everyone can agree with. The OEM SLIC intake is restrictive & needs to be enlarged with a Dutt Neck at the minimum.

~JM~

Do they sell a 2 1/2 inch down pipe or do I have to go 3''? Or do I not even need the down pipe to go that fast? Low 12's BTW:)

Do they sell a 2 1/2 inch down pipe or do I have to go 3''? Or do I not even need the down pipe to go that fast? Low 12's BTW:)
Are you talking about the exhaust turbine discharge? If so... You should probably start a new thread. I can't recall hearing of a 2.5" down-pipe.

~JM~

It all depends on what you want and prefer. I bought my Kenne Bell front mount 15 years ago and have never regretted it. I've used it with different turbos like TE-52, TE-54, GT-67, TE70 and was great with all of them. Never had any over heating problems even when i first installed it with the stock radiator and cooling fan.I like the intercooler out front getting the cool air first and not in the engine compartment with the hot temps.

I guess does anybody else agree that a front mount spools faster? If thats the case maybe that is better?? I see why this topic is split down the middle by so many people. I see the pro's and cons of both. This is crazy!! :)

I guess does anybody else agree that a front mount spools faster? If thats the case maybe that is better?? I see why this topic is split down the middle by so many people. I see the pro's and cons of both. This is crazy!! :)
I feel that my FMIC has better throttle response & spools faster than my OEM SLIC. I was concerned that the large size of the IC & the long tubing runs would cause some lag, but that was not the case. Here is one of my old posts. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/anyone-have-an-rjc-fmic.369426/

What kind of roads do you usually drive on? Are there pot-holes or debris in the roadway very often? I was originally going with a stretched SLIC, but my car is lowered & I was concerned about ground clearance & hitting the IC. If you bottom out with an FMIC & cause damage, it will most likely be limited to crushing one or both tubes at the front of the car. That is easily repaired & most likely still be driveable. If you hit an SLIC, it may damage the actual IC and/or mounting brackets, hit the fan, etc. For me the FMIC makes the most sense. My other turbocharged vehicle (Dodge truck) has its IC mounted up front from the factory.

~JM~

At least there is one thing that I think everyone can agree with. The OEM SLIC intake is restrictive & needs to be enlarged with a Dutt Neck at the minimum.

~JM~

NOPE ... Remember guys like me were playing with these cars brand new an really had very few parts.. And the "kool guy" parts that were out there didn't work very well at the time so a lot of us played with the stock stuff.. Wifes TTA in 89 ran high 11s @ 114/115 on M&H Dots. Stock junk except for a chip, K&N, and tires.. Our 86 GN ran high 11s with NOS :D. Worked great on a STOCK car.. Just make sure we had extra bottles!! What a blast that was back then. Now everyone needs $12k of kool guy parts to run 11s :rolleyes: