Front Mount vs. Stock Location Intercooler.

I think when I move to FL I'm switching to stock location intercoolers before I race bozo.

O.K. How about this angle?

Has anyone ever installed an FMIC & been unhappy with it & then switched back to an SLIC? If so, would you please tell us why?

Thank you
~JM~

At the drag strip (had to clarify) the intercooler acts more like a sponge than a heat exchanger (to ambient air). It won't transfere heat out of the intercooler until it had reaches a certain heat soak period and there is fast enough air flow across the fins to transfere any heat out of it at all. Increasing the inlet size to the core will really do nothing. As Grumpy stated earlier, back in the early days when we (he and I are OLD turbo buick guys) we ran stock parts pretty fast becasuse that was all there was (or in my case I didn't have the money to buy custom stuff, though it forced me to buy fabrication equipment to make my own stuff) I tried many many different things to make my car faster. I removed the intercooler and ran a 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from tubo to TB. Ran alot of water/methanol using a boost pressurized vessle to inject the ADI into the turbo. I injected it right into the stock inlet bell where the valve cover vent plugs into. (most of you probably have never even seen a stock inlet bell these days ;)) This combo allowed me to run a Conley Mag4 race chip on pump gas. Lawrence Conley thought I was NUTZ!!!!! "Your car CAN'T run 11.75 @112 with that combo!!!!" (I ran that with the ported stock intercooler, though) On the street the car ran great with no intercooler with water/alky injection. I never ran it at the track w/o the intercooler, though. Started stepping things up shortly there after and built a intercooler out of a Freightliner core that was given to me. (went front mount).
Look at the TTA intercooler scoop. Man that thing begs for help. I've built a 3.5" oval down pipe for a TTA. The guy never races it, though. That is definately a kool guy part for sure.
Dan........We should write a book on all the stuff we did as buick Martyrs. Wouldn't sell a single copy, though. Too much better parts running around. I remember how cool it was when Turbo Tune (IIRC) ran 10.02 with a twin turbo StageII and I though it was really fast. Now we do that in full street trim.
Back to the original post............Will a front mount make your car FAST? Maybe. Will a stock intercooler run 11.5's Yep. SLIC stretch IC run faster......maybe.? Will tuing your car for no knock make you fast.......YES!!!!!

I'll need to add that my current combination is using mostly stock parts. Turbo, intercooler, throttle body. Ok...Ok....two of each of them, but they ARE stock parts.:p

I'll need to add that my current combination is using mostly stock parts. Turbo, intercooler, throttle body. Ok...Ok....two of each of them, but they ARE stock parts.:p
Two stock intercoolers? That sounds interesting.. Mind posting a picture?

Florida's flat with Mile long roads, don't get caught Short!..heh

(P.S. re-tune your car for Sea-level or Else!!!)
No. I think ill leave my 80' elevation tune in it because it will give you more of an advantage. Btw I can't roll my eyes any harder.

O.K. How about this angle?

Has anyone ever installed an FMIC & been unhappy with it & then switched back to an SLIC? If so, would you please tell us why?

Thank you
~JM~
Yes, have a local who removed the Precision FM and went back to the stretched SLIC. Both IC’s worked fine.
Reason for the change is called “Texas Heat and AC/Radiator performance”.
Both IC’s have their advantages/disadvantages.

There really is no "Right or wrong" answer to this debate . . . .It all comes down to the purpose of the build.