Front Mount vs. Stock Location Intercooler.

NOPE ... Remember guys like me were playing with these cars brand new an really had very few parts.. And the "kool guy" parts that were out there didn't work very well at the time so a lot of us played with the stock stuff.. Wifes TTA in 89 ran high 11s @ 114/115 on M&H Dots. Stock junk except for a chip, K&N, and tires.. Our 86 GN ran high 11s with NOS :D. Worked great on a STOCK car.. Just make sure we had extra bottles!! What a blast that was back then. Now everyone needs $12k of kool guy parts to run 11s :rolleyes:

So your telling me that you didn't port the IC inlet as much as possible? Possibly even cutting it open to reach down the throat further?

I'm not buying it.

As far as, "Now everyone needs $12k of kool guy parts..." If someone wants to buy parts for their car & can AFFORD IT, more power to them.

~JM~

No matter what you decide,the key is combination,combination any body can go the bigger is better route BUT it will never run as fast as you would think.Pick your goals,et or what ever and then build a combination around it.

Kevin

SS/GN said:
No matter what you decide,the key is combination,combination any body can go the bigger is better route BUT it will never run as fast as you would think.Pick your goals,et or what ever and then build a combination around it.

Kevin

Good advice. The only thing I would add is to take the time to learn how to tune your car. If you don't understand what things like BLMs and knock retard are, you'll spend too much money to go too slow. It doesn't take $12,000 worth of parts to go 11's, as others have pointed out. Keep this in mind when you buy your intercooler.

Good luck,

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

So your telling me that you didn't port the IC inlet as much as possible? Possibly even cutting it open to reach down the throat further?

I'm not buying it.

As far as, "Now everyone needs $12k of kool guy parts..." If someone wants to buy parts for their car & can AFFORD IT, more power to them.

~JM~

Don't have to buy it.. Been there an DONE it!! Not just flapping gums like you. BUT a lot of guys did back then when I did these cars as a job.. I produced RESULTS with simple stuff. Thats all they wanted was a #. You don't have a clue as what a stock car can do. So go spend your $$$$$ as I assume you are loaded.. I can see you as one of the guys that have a gazillion $$$ in the car an ya have a 9 sec car that maybe runs in the 11s. Hell I suppose ya can't drive a 9 sec car on the street either :p

The only thing I would add is to take the time to learn how to tune your car. If you don't understand what things like BLMs and knock retard are, you'll spend too much money to go too slow.

Mike

Most guys are to lazy to figure out tuning it. Like you said they throw $$$ at it an most of the time the car slows down. :cool: Ok back to intercoolers :D

Good advice. The only thing I would add is to take the time to learn how to tune your car. If you don't understand what things like BLMs and knock retard are, you'll spend too much money to go too slow...

X2, stock stuff is fast with a little knowledge, and booze.

Most guys are to lazy to figure out tuning it. Like you said they throw $$$ at it an most of the time the car slows down. :cool: Ok back to intercoolers :D

Imagine what you could have done back in the day with a powerlogger. I stopped keeping track of a running receipt total when I passed the $40K mark on my T. Turns out you can go 125 in the 1/4 on just 18-19 psi boost :) Don't worry I'll turn it back up again next time out.

Imagine what you could have done back in the day with a powerlogger. I stopped keeping track of a running receipt total when I passed the $40K mark on my T. Turns out you can go 125 in the 1/4 on just 18-19 psi boost :) Don't worry I'll turn it back up again next time out.

well we only use a scanmaster with our junk .. We do have an old "Direct Scan" that we will throw on if we have a problem child. My motto is "NO KNOCK" :p

Can you imagine how much faster you would be with a F.A.S.T system:confused:

Kevin

SS/GN said:
Can you imagine how much faster you would be with a F.A.S.T system:confused:

Kevin

I remember picking up 6hp peak a couple years ago when input FAST on my blue car after tuning it to the same timing, boost, and a/f I ran with the stock ecm. Tuning is a lot easier but more peak power isn't likely to happen. If it's dialed in like it should be then the difference is about nothing. Kool guy parts are nice if you can afford them.

I remember picking up 6hp peak a couple years ago when input FAST on my blue car after tuning it to the same timing, boost, and a/f I ran with the stock ecm. Tuning is a lot easier but more peak power isn't likely to happen. If it's dialed in like it should be then the difference is about nothing. Kool guy parts are nice if you can afford them.

Thanks Bison,I wasn't trying to be a a$$ ,just trying to make a point(no disrespect to any):oops:
If you have iron heads alum are faster
if you have flat tappet a roller is faster
if you have chip FAST is faster
if you have SLIC front mount is faster
All these have been beaten to death.:eek:
Now back to the op question.Pick an ET or what YOU want for the car.For ex I only want my car to run 11.50 in bad air because that will be about 11.10 in good air and anything faster than 11.40 at our local tracks will get you booted.I have no intention in putting a bar in either of my cars so my combination will reflect this.I also don't race a dyno so really don't care about those numbers.BUT if you want to go to go to cruise night and car show the more aftermarket parts you have on the car the more things you have to talk about so go ahead.;)Ok let the mud slinging begino_O

Kevin

I have a powerstroke intercooler off a Ford diesel. Fit like a glove! Intercooler was $243 mandrel bent piping, hose and clamps was another 60 or so. Been more then adequate...not to mention its the size off our radiator. If you choose to go this route I can get you part numbers off pipes and such!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120428_123609.png
    ForumRunner_20120428_123609.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 164
I have a powerstroke intercooler off a Ford diesel. Fit like a glove! Intercooler was $243 mandrel bent piping, hose and clamps was another 60 or so. Been more then adequate...not to mention its the size off our radiator. If you choose to go this route I can get you part numbers off pipes and such!

That looks like a pretty good fit. Did you have to cut the radiator support to route your supply & return tubing? How heavy is the IC?

~JM~

...if you have SLIC front mount is faster
All these have been beaten to death.:eek:

And yet there are still those who are to old, stubborn, or just plain to ignorant to accept simple facts.

~JM~

And yet there are still those who are to old, stubborn, or just plain to ignorant to accept simple facts.

~JM~

hahaha...can't cure STUPID !! Again whats YOUR combo an what do YOU run with it ?? :rolleyes:

hahaha...can't cure STUPID !! Again whats YOUR combo an what do YOU run with it ?? :rolleyes:
I wouldn't go so far as to call you stupid, but if you insist. You must know yourself better than I.

As far as my combo... Well its in my sig.

~JM~

Nah... your just the new typical Buick owner now.. Have fun. :cool: so your car runs 12s ???? Your right on target then with the kool guy parts !

~JM~ said:
That looks like a pretty good fit. Did you have to cut the radiator support to route your supply & return tubing? How heavy is the IC?

~JM~

The fit is PHENOMINAL!! You do have to cut certain things, but they are all removeable. "what do I mean?" You have to cut the upper inner ear of each front support, and possibly the core support. People say you cant keep your high beams but you can, you just have to shave the nub off on your bezels to make room for the end tanks. These intercoolers come with plastic or aluminum end tanks....aluminum are better IMO for a couple reasons. First they are more durable but second if its aluminum you dont have to cut holes in the core support. By that, I mean I bought a used core support and cut wholes in that core support and kept my original. But what ive done for a couple board members was cut the spouts off and weld them to the bottom. That way you can wrap the pipes underneath the support then going through it. the intercooler literally sits on your bumper supports and fits perfectly under your header panel. As i said I bought a used core support and bumper supports so I could keep my originals. I can answer any other questions ya want