build a 200-4R for 1,000 HP

Thank you for clearing that reference up. I made that statement because 5 years ago most everyone was claiming they weren't having problems with the direct clutch. And look where we are today. Parts still being developed to address the problem and 200-4Rs that can handle 1,000hp. Development continues at the expense of...

Parts are still being developed because most of the guys on here still run 200's. They are making considerably more power than 5 years ago. It is still profitable for those that develop the parts to do it. If theres a market then someone will grab it. Its simple business.

I agree with you Brian.However ,revenue is not the only reason people make parts.The reason is because they break and or need improvement.If we (automotive aftermarket in general)sold things that didnt offer improvements over the originals people would eventually catch on and we would fayde away.This is not the case with the 2004r.Every time we go further something else is overpowered and we come up with a fix.I feel that with good planet washer system the internal parts will soon be possible to go beyond 800 horsepowerThe same goes for a th400.Everyone thought the 34 element sprag was the last word.Well we now know beyond 750 lbsft its done in short order.None thought you could break a th400 input shaft.We all know its failure prone at 1000 to 1200 ftlbs or less if the factory was having a bad day.Output shaft breakage?When the car has 1500 hp ,1800lbs ft or sometimes less it snap in half.So when do we stop?I say never.Keep on improving.Keep pushing the envelope.Never settle for the design limitations.Improve,design ,test,redesign.Go beyond.If we ever adapt that atitude we may as well start walking cross country on foot or by covered wagon,stiop finding cures for disease and do nothing that will push things past there infancy.Lets drag our women around by the hair again too while we are at it.

I agree with you Brian.However ,revenue is not the only reason people make parts.The reason is because they break and or need improvement.If we (automotive aftermarket in general)sold things that didnt offer improvements over the originals people would eventually catch on and we would fayde away.This is not the case with the 2004r.Every time we go further something else is overpowered and we come up with a fix.I feel that with good planet washer system the internal parts will soon be possible to go beyond 800 horsepowerThe same goes for a th400.Everyone thought the 34 element sprag was the last word.Well we now know beyond 750 lbsft its done in short order.None thought you could break a th400 input shaft.We all know its failure prone at 1000 to 1200 ftlbs or less if the factory was having a bad day.Output shaft breakage?When the car has 1500 hp ,1800lbs ft or sometimes less it snap in half.So when do we stop?I say never.Keep on improving.Keep pushing the envelope.Never settle for the design limitations.Improve,design ,test,redesign.Go beyond.If we ever adapt that atitude we may as well start walking cross country on foot or by covered wagon,stiop finding cures for disease and do nothing that will push things past there infancy.Lets drag our women around by the hair again too while we are at it.

Well said Chris.

All true but no one would do it unless they were profiting somehow. Its nice to have guys like you that take charge and innovate while others hang around and speculate:rolleyes: Theories dont mean dick when we are building units that take the power

The cars I reference with output shafts run mid to low 9s and low 1.30 60ft 145 mph+ and one example in 3600lb car. BTW I have not used 6 clutch direct in years in the most popular units that I do. If you have facts to share and not theory I would love to hear you answer to the output shaft problem.

Well, I was going to give you some physics, but you might consider that theory. So let's do this. This might be fun for some physics students out there.

What are all the jobs of the high/rev clutch pack? Please answer with fact. Not theory.

Well, I was going to give you some physics, but you might consider that theory. So let's do this. This might be fun for some physics students out there.

What are all the jobs of the high/rev clutch pack? Please answer with fact. Not theory.

I dont know you from Adam but you come across as someone I think everyone knows the TOPPER.

as far as Iknow the main reasons for lo band and or lo clutch pack in manual low is that of engine braking using compression. however in lo when the throttle is lifted,during downhill coasts with no throttle or during lift throttle coastdown the rear wheels are driving the driveshaft and it becomes the input member driving the output shaft.this causes the rear carrier to try to overrun the roller clutch and put the trans in a neutral condition.by applying the clutch to hold the rear carrier there is engine braking and there is no chance of rear roller clutch breakage on reapply when the throttle is opened and the input shaft out biases the rear wheels ,becoming the input member again.in reverse the direct clutch is applied grounding the drum ,shell and rear sun gear to the input shaft and locked od unit.applying the lo reverse clutch now holds the rear carrier stationary ,which will try to turn clockwise because of the vehicle load on the driveshaft.holding the carrier stationary naturally causes the pinion and output ring gear to turn backwards causing a reversal of direction.the front planetary ASSEMBLY DOES NOTHING IN REVERSE.If we dont hold the carrier in reverse the rear planet freewheels and the car cannot move.if there is something else id love to learn about here.

damn i did all that typing to find out you guys were talking about thee direct clutch.i better slow down and learn better reading comprehension skills:D

by locking on the direct clutch in hi gear we attempt to drive the rear sun gear clockwise by grounding the drum to the clockwise spinning forward drum however power applied from the forward clutch is already driving the ring gear clockwise so this causes the planets to become a wedge between the 2 input members causing the whole mass from the input shaft to the output shaft to turn as one and all at the same ratio or speed.in od we ground the overdrive sun gear an overdrive this whole stationary mass ,from the od ring gear to the output shaft all turns at the same ratio or speed.the function of the direct clutch pack in the direct drum is to allow the outer teeth of the direct drum to drive the rear sun gear.however the drum is also used to hold the sun gear from turning in second gear as well aalthough not thru the grounding of or application of the clutch pack.in reverse ,see my previous post

LOL I am far from a Physics student. More of a student from school of hard knocks and trail and error. Lets not play games. I know what the functions of both clutches are. Dont feel the need to qualify myself here. Just lay it out for us. I am really interested since you mentioned it.

if you guys want to know whats up with the direct clutch get my new service bulletains on friday.there is real hardcore test data compiled over 1 year of testing,and some other good stuff.call in or email me monday,i promised the update a long time agao and its here.

lonnie your making me feel shy now for teching in.:D we are all qualifed here.I respect all of you guys on the forum,yes im insane like the rest of you .this is where we all get together and teach each other.i get frustrated sometimes that people dont get technical enough here sometimes.i want to be schooled too,for real.im not just here now to prove to people i know how planets work,im here to share the knowledge.maybe someone who has been confused or in the dark will say"holy **** that is how that works."not" that is how that works???????"all of us transmission misfits have found a place we all fit in.right here.

I agree Chris,
I've learned a bunch here. Still soaking some of it up when it gets technical. If we can keep the pissing contests out of it and just get technical it's great.

Fire away Don, I'm interested in theory as well as practical.

as far as Iknow the main reasons for lo band and or lo clutch pack in manual low is that of engine braking using compression. however in lo when the throttle is lifted,during downhill coasts with no throttle or during lift throttle coastdown the rear wheels are driving the driveshaft and it becomes the input member driving the output shaft.this causes the rear carrier to try to overrun the roller clutch and put the trans in a neutral condition.by applying the clutch to hold the rear carrier there is engine braking and there is no chance of rear roller clutch breakage on reapply when the throttle is opened and the input shaft out biases the rear wheels ,becoming the input member again.in reverse the direct clutch is applied grounding the drum ,shell and rear sun gear to the input shaft and locked od unit.applying the lo reverse clutch now holds the rear carrier stationary ,which will try to turn clockwise because of the vehicle load on the driveshaft.holding the carrier stationary naturally causes the pinion and output ring gear to turn backwards causing a reversal of direction.the front planetary ASSEMBLY DOES NOTHING IN REVERSE.If we dont hold the carrier in reverse the rear planet freewheels and the car cannot move.if there is something else id love to learn about here.
Thanks for the enlightenment Chris:biggrin:

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging. Me and my wife had a dinner date with some friends tonight.

Not playing games Lonnie. I enjoy seeing people become enlightened on their own by thinking out a problem. I would like nothing more than to see someone come up with the solution without me having to spell it out. Although, I will if no one comes up with it.

Chris. That first reply scared me a little. Glad you reread the post and figured it out. I wasn't really referring to the power flow through the complete unit. I'm focusing specifically on the high/rev clutch pack. Think of what the job is of the clutch pack from start of clutch application to the point that the clutch locks up. Specifically during the 2-3 shift. Think of all the things that are happening when a clutch applies. Picture it in your mind in slow motion.